• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Is this the game that glorified quickscopes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halbit22

Recruit
I realize that this isn't the game that created the quickscope, but I think I have seen more quickscoping montages, and quickscopers in public matches on MW2 more than any other game. Quickscoping has become a skill now that some players possess, and I personally enjoy quickscoping from time to time.

SilverAtom

Recruit
Xbox gamer here, yes it did! I loved (and still do) to play a quickscope match on Rust with a full server of friends.

One of the best parts was upsetting people with a throwing knife across the map haha.

Frieza

Recruit
I think MW2 opened up quickscoping to everyone, it had perks catering towards it and made it easier to become good at it. Those who were doing it from Call of Duty 4 were pretty much masters by this point, so MW2 quickscoping was a breeze for them.
So I do think this did glorify it, but only because of how easy it was.

Melvin

Recruit
Hell yes. It sure did. It took me like a month to learn how to quick scope on the pc, and after I figured it out...I was owning dudes back and forth. I remember running and gunning with my sniper rifle, swaping to my offhand shotgun and messing people up. I set my claymores near the walk ways when I was camping (taking a break) and I had my flash bangs ready to take over a building.

BTCGuru81

Recruit
I know the quick scoping issue is divisive in the Call of Duty community, so I'll state my position first just for the sake of transparency. I do not like it. I argue it makes most sniper load outs entirely too cheap. The whole point of snipers is to have excellent long range capability. But with quick scoping, their short range capability makes them essentially a one hit killer in any and all circumstances, grossly unbalancing the game where the mechanic is present.

Having said all that, I wouldn't point out Modern Warfare 2 so much as Modern Warfare three as the prime offender. Black Ops II is pretty bad as well, but in MW3, it was epidemic. Cheapest game mechanic I've ever seen in a shooter.

thethirdeye

Recruit
I know the quick scoping issue is divisive in the Call of Duty community, so I'll state my position first just for the sake of transparency. I do not like it. I argue it makes most sniper load outs entirely too cheap. The whole point of snipers is to have excellent long range capability. But with quick scoping, their short range capability makes them essentially a one hit killer in any and all circumstances, grossly unbalancing the game where the mechanic is present.

Having said all that, I wouldn't point out Modern Warfare 2 so much as Modern Warfare three as the prime offender. Black Ops II is pretty bad as well, but in MW3, it was epidemic. Cheapest game mechanic I've ever seen in a shooter.

Agreed. Quick scoping in my opinion barely takes any skill at all to get "good" at. I hope that in the next COD game they at least make quick scoping more inaccurate. Reducing accuracy while moving/right after sprinting will also most likely solve the problem.

GreenCamino

Recruit
I hate to say it but I feel that Modern Warfare 2 is definitely where quickscoping originated and gained all it's hype. Never have I seen more ghillied up snipers running around the map fighting in close quarters than in MW2. I don't necessarily have a problem with it but I don't feel that this is the right way a sniper class should be played.

RetJoSek

Recruit
I'm not sure I agree with everyone here, I remember on crossfire on CoD4 me and my friends used to have quickscope challenges where it would be the first person to glitch out the map to the bridge wins, and you can only kill with quickscopes/noscopes. It was awesome and way before the second modern warfare. But when it did get "big" I used to get pissed because I thought it took no skill and was just retarded, but then I stopped being a baby and just killed everyone who would quickscope.

riku517

Recruit
I like your approach RetJoSek. And I agree with everyone that MW2 redefined the skill level needed to quickscope. I feel that everyone has more access to learning how to use it with MW2 and now a ton of newbies are quickscoping.

bradman1313

Recruit
I think it was CoD4, actually. Quickscoping in CoD4 had this feel to it. Like it was something no one had done before. It felt great. Though I loved quickscoping in CoD4, in MW2 it felt so much better. The Barret with a Thermal sight was just unfair on a good day.

Khronic

Recruit
Unfortunately it did. Although like bradman said, it was present in CoD 4, MW2 is where it became almost renown. I just don't like how snipers lost what snipers actually are, long range combat, not 40 feet. Although I've been victim of my fair share of quickscopes, guys who use snipers wrong are hilariously killed.

thethirdeye

Recruit
Unfortunately it did. Although like bradman said, it was present in CoD 4, MW2 is where it became almost renown. I just don't like how snipers lost what snipers actually are, long range combat, not 40 feet. Although I've been victim of my fair share of quickscopes, guys who use snipers wrong are hilariously killed.

Exactly. Quickscopers are somewhat annoying but they are always easily killed. Easiest counter I use for them are just sub machine guns. Then again, SMG's are becoming kind of overpowered in my opinion... Funniest thing is when they miss a quickscope and you get an easy shot.

Arutea

Recruit
Quickscoping started way back in Call of Duty 2 guys.

MW2 is where all the hype was through the roof and everyone noticed since Sleight of Hand Pro was the perk to use to Aim down your sight really fast and they applied that to snipers. Quickscoping ruined the MW2 game because all Search & Destroy lobbies just consisted of Setup games so one of the enemy teams can make a video and put it on YouTube.

I like quickscoping but ACTUAL quickscoping not stupid trickshotting.

apriapism

Recruit
Yep. This is the game I started seeing everyone doing it, I remember when I started as well. I was so stoked once I got the hang of it.

SkinTight

Recruit
I think that quickscoping has been out, the only difference here is that there's actually a name for it now.

I used to do it all the time on different first person shooter games but i used to call it something else(can't remember). It was fun quickscoping back then but now too many people take it seriously.

sneakbo

Recruit
i disagree i believe quickscoping was basically created on cod4 however mw2 happened to be the in date game when youtube videos about quickscopers started going viral, so yeah there was more quickscopers on mw2 but only because that was the newest game to date.
MW2 did bring a different era tho , one that destroyed search and destroyed, the dreaded trickshot era where they would noobtube across map then only snipe for last kill -.-

Quickscoping is really fun! To me, it's boring in private match because it's just a 1 versus 1, but on multiplayer, when it's you versus a guy that has an assault rifle, it makes it really fun.

BTCGuru81

Recruit
Agreed. Quick scoping in my opinion barely takes any skill at all to get "good" at. I hope that in the next COD game they at least make quick scoping more inaccurate. Reducing accuracy while moving/right after sprinting will also most likely solve the problem.
Glad to see I'm in good company. Nothing like cheap little kiddies exploiting a game mechanic and bragging about how "good" they are at it. I've got a whole load out dedicated to punishing them for their sins. Everytime I run into a quickscoper I make it my business to make sure they have no fun in map for as long as they're in my lobby. :D

Glad to see I'm in good company. Nothing like cheap little kiddies exploiting a game mechanic and bragging about how "good" they are at it. I've got a whole load out dedicated to punishing them for their sins. Everytime I run into a quickscoper I make it my business to make sure they have no fun in map for as long as they're in my lobby. :D

That is annoying, having a 9 year old screaming in the lobby "I'll quickscope you 1v1" or something along those lines. Also, making quickscoping HARDER, would probably be a good idea (kinda like Black Ops 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements