1. Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: WWII, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

A different engine

Discussion in 'Call of Duty 1' started by Thatguy1232123, Apr 2, 2013.

Sponsored
  1. Thatguy1232123

Thatguy1232123 Recruit

So from what I know, the CoD 1 engine was more or less based off of Quake 3's engine and once the 2nd CoD came around, they made their own engine that they still use to today.

Does anyone who remember playing CoD 1 prefer that engine? Do you think they should incorporate anything from that one into today's CoD? Just curious. I vaguely remember playing this game as a kid and I did enjoy it.

2. Danblu

Danblu Recruit

Yes, indeed, the first Call of Duty was based on the idTech 3 engine, the same used for Quake 3 Arena. It was a pretty good engine for the time and I'd say it aged well, even today it looks pretty good for such an outdated engine. I'd like to see it being implemented in mobile versions of CoD, maybe remakes of the old games of the series, I think it's doable.

3. Vali07

Vali07 Recruit

Wow, i did not know that. I really need to check out the first installments of this great series of games.

4. ReaperTV

ReaperTV Recruit

They are using a heavily modified version of the new engine. I think it is still the quake 3 engine, just heavily modified. I wish they would use a new engine though. It would fix a lot of problems. But I guess they don't have time.