• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

b450 or go b550

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
There are some key differences as I recall.

First, as you mentioned above, PCIe 4.0 support, should be an advantage, but current GPUs from the RTX 30x0 series and from the AMD 6x00 series don't show a massive improvement in frame rates and changes they do show usually fall within margin of error. NVME SSDs can run faster, if you can afford a PCIe 4.0 NVME drive to use in 1 of these slots, it will probably be a few more generations before we get there. Plus there's that bi-directional transfer that allows the CPU to read data or send data directly to the GPU or RAM without going through a controller, but I don't think we are seeing any software/games that can make full use of this yet, maybe it will work better in Windows 11.

Second, Multi-GPU support, this has never been an option on B-series motherboards before the B550 and it was a feature that came in at just the right time to see nVidia stop making SLI ready GPUs, unless you can afford 2 RTX 3090 GPUs, plus a PSU to power them, just to play games that no longer support multi-GPU support as so few people need that feature.

Third is the boost in network speeds, B550 lan speeds can transfer upto 2.5Gbps while B450 only had a mere 1Gbps, or wireless speeds now go up to Wifi 6 on B550 which has a maximum bandwidth of 10Gbps versus 3.5Gbps on B450.

Lastly, B450 boards were the first B series boards with built in overclocking features, previously this was only possible on X series motherboards, it is still supported on the B550.

Then there were other features that I have not listed as key differences but they include:
  • USB ports supported on B450 was 14 with 2x USB 3.0, B550 now supports 14 with 4x USB3.0
  • PCIe lanes increased from 36/28 to 38/30
I would like to upgrade my identical B450 motherboard, but I am holding off for now, mainly because it looks like there will be an intermediate CPU range with the 3d Cache that increases cache and has a really big uplift on performance with as much as 192mb of onboard cache for the CPUs. I can see myself doing 1 of 2 things once AMD launch these (rumours are for before Christmas), either I will upgrade motherboard RAM and CPU at the time or current 5800X prices will drop making that a better option for me.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
ok still dont know what im going to do. if i change my mobo i will have everything but graphics card for 2nd pc.

5900x prices have dropped you might consider that over the 5800x

KeyboardDemon

ok still dont know what im going to do. if i change my mobo i will have everything but graphics card for 2nd pc.
Ahh,,, there it is. If you still have your R5 3600 and are using that to build another PC, it makes more sense to put your existing mobo to use with that CPU and the upgrade to a B550 or X570, as some of the X570 boards are about the same price as the B550 boards now, the line between them is a lot more blurred than it was when they launched.
I've seen that, but I think I would rather wait to see what's happening with AMDs 3d V-cache CPUs.

freakdaddy64

Recruit

these have been my top two choices and they both have excellent reviews and i really like the msi price but whats really holding me back is if i make a change i would want to use the pcie 4 and would want a 2 tb which is $$$$$$$$$ and then i would use my current 3.0 m.2 in second slot

and yes i have the 3600 and 16 gigs of 3200 ram and a nzxt 510 case and a 700 watt psu and a 1tb firecuda hybrid drive and the coolermaster cooler but may stay with amd cooler and see how it does.everything but graphics card and would have very nice rig to use or whatever.

KeyboardDemon

these have been my top two choices and they both have excellent reviews and i really like the msi price but whats really holding me back is if i make a change i would want to use the pcie 4 and would want a 2 tb which is $$$$$$$$$ and then i would use my current 3.0 m.2 in second slot
I can't lie to you, I would pay the extra and go for the Asus. The build quality and performance on my MSi are both excellent, easily as good as the Asus, but the software for RGB is very poor and there were too many issues with installing the Dragon control center, the software doesn't need to be so fussy.

As for NVME SSDs, check reviews of the drives you're most interested in, see if you can find some reviews that test with the B550 chipset to see if they make a big difference.

If you are paying 50% more for a drive, will you get at least 50% more performance? or at least enough extra performance to feel you're getting value?

2TB is quite extreme, but when you have a GPU that can get direct access to your SSD you'll be glad you did it. I don't think your RTX 2080 Ti supports that though.

and yes i have the 3600 and 16 gigs of 3200 ram and a nzxt 510 case and a 700 watt psu and a 1tb firecuda hybrid drive and the coolermaster cooler but may stay with amd cooler and see how it does.everything but graphics card and would have very nice rig to use or whatever.
All just waiting for your RTX 2080 Ti when you upgrade your main rig to an RTX 3080 or RTX 3080 Ti, right?

freakdaddy64

Recruit
actually im on auto notify for the 3060 12 gb gddr6, the 3070 ti and the cheap rtx 3060 8gb cards, mainly wanting to get back because of 1 year warranty on 2080ti which i run stock and it is a beast and hopefully it will last for a good while. and as far as nvme i have a 2tb sabrent gen3 now so i could probably get a 1 tb for new mobo if i proceed. would it matter which one had my games on it because im thinking 2tb because cod red dead and cyberpunk take up space. right now i have 1.16 free of 1.86 . thats why i was thinking 2 tb gen4 but if gaming is not really affected then i could go 1tb for boot and keep games on the 2 tb gen 3.

wanting a backup

if i go 1tb this price looks good

KeyboardDemon

I would put multiplayer games on the fastest drive/s and then story driven games on the slower SSD drive. I think I notice loading times more in multiplayer games, a lot of story driven games have mechanisms in place to cover up the loading times to make them less noticeable. My NVME drive has CoD, my other games go onto my Sata SSD drive, unless I am playing them a lot, in which case I am happy to move them.

if i go 1tb this price looks good

Just taken a look at this, the 1TB drive price seems quite reasonable, but OMG, the 2TB it over twice the price, not a great deal right now. It would be cheaper to get 2x 1TB if you needed the extra capacity but that would require a mobo that accepts 2 NVME drives or more if you want to keep your Gen 3 in the same rig.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
not keeping gen 3 in current. i think im going to go 1 tb nvme as boot and put call of duty on it and the rest will go on the 2tb sabrent. ill use seagate firecuda 1tb hhd for second pc. the only other multiplayer game is csgo and that will do fine from gen 3 actually ill put steam games on that. thats a great option thanks for opinon i didnt even think about it that way. and b550 motherboards im looking at come with two nvme slots. im leaning towards asus b550 f gaming.

ill check prices that seller on newegg doesnt have good reviews and i usually only get products sold and shipped by newegg.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
my four top choices so far are

asus b550 f gaming $185 us
asus tuf x570 plus $195 us

msi b550 tomahawk $165 us
msi mag x570 tomahawk $262 us

and ill be getting a nmve 4.0 1 tb for boot and call of duty everything else will go on my 2 tb sabrent 3.0

freakdaddy64

Recruit
this is pretty good price and im not having any problems with my sabrent 2 tb so i think im getting this for boot drive.

and im looking real hard at this mobo it has great reviews and i know its overkill so if anyone thinks i can save some money and stick with a b550 im open for sugestions. the asus rog b550 f gaming is tops right now but if im upgrading should i go ahead and go x570.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
i received my asus rog strict b550 f gaming today and im impressed to say the least now just have to wait for nmve 4.0 to arrive wendsday and swap it next weekend.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements