• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Closing In On My RTX!! :D

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Have 2 choices..

EVGA – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti FTW3 GAMING 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card​

or

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card – Titanium and Black​

The 3080 is out of stock, so it's likely a few weeks..

But the 3060 ti is, as far as I know, available immediately...

Is the difference miniscule or should I be patient and wait for the 3080??

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
When it comes to picking between an RTX 3060 Ti and an RTX 3080 I would have said it was a no brainer without having to turn to Google, but Google agrees with me, the RTX 3080 is the far superior choice in all things except CS:Go where it is only marginally better.

Given that you are also thinking about a new monitor, I would get the GPU first and then get the monitor.

As for which RTX 3080, the Asus Strix model, the Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 Master, or one of the EVGA overclocked RTX 3080s like the FTW3 or XC3 would be my top picks.

I ended up with the PNY GeForce RTX 3080 10GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB, this is one of the lowest clocking RTX 3080 cards around. It uses what looks like a reference design PCB, I like it as it is a neat 2-slot design, it's silent, and when I vertically mount it in my case it won't press up against the side panel allowing for room for the fans to take in air.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
When it comes to picking between an RTX 3060 Ti and an RTX 3080 I would have said it was a no brainer without having to turn to Google, but Google agrees with me, the RTX 3080 is the far superior choice in all things except CS:Go where it is only marginally better.

Was that a typo???

According to the link, the RTX 3060 ti is better..

Or am I reading the benchmark wrong??

KeyboardDemon

Never mind.. I *WAS* reading it wrong.. Just looked at the SCORE 93/101 score and not the FPS gauge at the bottom..
I thought I'd made a mistake then.

The only reason why CS:Go shows very little gains between the two is that game has reached its maximum rate limits, so it is software bound and not hardware bound.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer

PNY GeForce RTX 3080 10GB XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGB Triple Fan Graphics Card​

That's the 3080 I am looking at. It's thru an RTO place... I am looking at about $40 bucks a week for 15 months.. WAY over-priced, but that's the downside of RTO even not looking at the chip shortage caused expense...

KeyboardDemon

PNY GeForce RTX 3080 10GB XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGB Triple Fan Graphics Card​

That's the 3080 I am looking at. It's thru an RTO place... I am looking at about $40 bucks a week for 15 months.. WAY over-priced, but that's the downside of RTO even not looking at the chip shortage caused expense...
It's not the best of the RTX 3080s, but it is still a great card. It has lower temps, due to running at reference clock speeds and its 3 fan design, which also makes it a quiet graphics card.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Yea, I just don't know what to do.. If I wait for the 3080, my wife might talk me out of it... :D

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card – Titanium and Black​

EVGA – GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING 10GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card​

What about these?? Better than the PNY???

KeyboardDemon

When comparing the Reference design, against the EVGA and PNY cards, you will find that all three cards have the same base clock of 1440mhz, both the reference design and the PNY boost to 1710mhz, and the EVGA boosts to 1755mhz so the EVGA card boosts higher, but by less than 4%.

If the price difference for the EVGA is more than 4% over the cost of the PNY then I would say the EVGA is overpriced, but it's not just about the performance, some of us will pick one over the other based on other factors such as the look of the card and length of the warranty or quality of the support offered by the manufacturer.

Assuming that performance scales in line with clock and boost speeds, if the EVGA was producing a 4% difference and you were getting 200fps with the PNY, that would mean that you would get 208fps with EVGA, but this assumption is wrong, performance doesn't scale in line with the clock speed alone.

I found this comparison between the EVGA and PNY, and found that the EVGA is only just a bit better than the PNY.

If you look through the comparison you will see that the EVGA has:

- 3%-4% greater floating-point performance
- wins on pixel rate, texture rate, and GPU turbo speeds
- both cards achieved the same 19000mhz effective memory speed

I see no compelling reason to pick the EVGA over the PNY other than availability, as the differences are quite small, and you might get lucky with a PNY that performs better than the one used in the tests on this comparison, or if you're unlucky you might get an EVGA that performs below the PNY levels, it's all down to the silicon lottery as not all chips are created equal.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
I took the plunge....

EVGA – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti FTW3 GAMING 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card

Should have it within a few days.... :D

Oooo this is gonna be awesome..

And....

THE JAGS WON!!!! Against a #1 ranked team!!! WOOT!!!!!

KeyboardDemon

I thought you were going to go for an RTX 3080 and you ended up going for the RTX 3060 Ti, and I had to wait to find out as I decided now would be a good time to take my PC apart, swap my top mounted fans from intake to exhaust and then vertically mount my GPU so I can enjoy the light show, now it's time to rethink my colour scheme, but I'll leave that for another day.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Yea, I was.. But I asked and was told I can trade up when the 3080 becomes available..

Plus I just scored some major points with the wife (house work and stuff :D) so I figured I would strike while the iron is hot!! :D

By the Sat, I should be rockin' an RTX 3060ti!!! WOOT!!!! :D

Thanx for all the info....

KeyboardDemon

How would THIS be for WARZONE?? :D
Terrible, first the RTX cards were not designed for multi-GPU configurations, then the mobo that they are all running from was not designed with gaming in mind and CPU being used will not be particularly high end, it's main role is to schedule the workload that's going out to the GPUs.

Yea, I was.. But I asked and was told I can trade up when the 3080 becomes available..
Trading up is definitely EVGA's best selling point, they have so many loyal customers just because of that single feature, but they didn't stop there, they also have industry leading support too, when my EVGA GTX 780Ti failed, EVGA were quick to replace it with a GTX 980 as there were no more GTX 780 Ti's around at the time.

Plus I just scored some major points with the wife (house work and stuff :D) so I figured I would strike while the iron is hot!! :D
Sounds like she's got you wrapped around her finger bro... ahhh.... the things we do for love, eh?

Like CODForums!

Advertisements