• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

CoD Engines General

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discuss any and everything about the engine's they have used throughout the franchise's history! From what I understand, the first Call of Duty was based off of Quake 3's id Tech 3 engine then from CoD 2 and up they used the IW engine, just with slightly modified version as the game progressed.

Any comments about the engines? Could they make them better?

Personally I believe they should incorporate a new health system where there would be a form of healing instead of auto-regen.

icebloodz

Recruit
The thing is about games and game engines in general is that it can be two things. They make a game engine of their own and use it for further games or they just use somebody else's engine and just pay the licensing fees I think.

For the health system, I think if they tried to change/tweak it. People will surely speak about it praise it even. While some will complain about how it changed the game play for worse. I think they should just stay with the system as is it now.

I do respect the regenerating health system in Call of Duty, as it's the kind of game that lends itself to an arcade-style gameplay.

The concept of regenerating health also makes it easier to have an insane multiplayer experience. The one thing that makes CoD and Battlefield different is that CoD is much more adrenaline-fueled, while in Battlefield 3 you might often have corner standoffs because of the more realistic take on it, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

The engine in general looks okay, but amazing considering it's based off the Quake 3 engine. I really hope they beef their graphics up to BF4 level for MW4.

Touche, and I've never played any of the Battlefields so I couldn't make a fair comparison. I just think it would be a nice option to have a different health system. Maybe someday they will give an option of how to manage health. Maybe as a perk or even splitting the online experience into different divisions for things like that. It would be really cool.

CrispyEggos

Recruit
I definitely respect the regenerating health system...it helps balance the game out based on skill. If a really skilled player has almost no health and somebody who isn't very good just spams them, they will most likely die.

If the health regenerates, it helps balance out that variable to make true skill come out...less stupid kills :)

That'a fair point. How about having a perk that has a health regeneration or medikit system? Or maybe having a small killstreak do that? I'm just spit balling here.

samb222

Recruit
I REALLY hope they use a brand new engine. Every COD is starting to look the same, and the graphics really need an upgrade to be honest. Sort out the health regen system,
But if they can implement some amazing graphics on their current engine, I'm all for it!

I REALLY hope they use a brand new engine. Every COD is starting to look the same, and the graphics really need an upgrade to be honest. Sort out the health regen system,
But if they can implement some amazing graphics on their current engine, I'm all for it!

I think they need to at least change their engine around a little. Maybe not for the main series, but if they branched off and created a brand new series of FPS' with a new engine, that would be really cool. Personally, I think the graphics aren't bad though. They do improve on them as new technologies emerge.

Dazje

Recruit
In my opionion, I don't think that the call of duty graphics are as bad as everyone describes. If you push your PC to the limits and set everything on HIGH, call of duty 2 will be almost the same as MW2 is. Though, in order to max your Graphics in call of duty, it must be a game that has a console option in it ( ex cod(1, 2, 4, 5) ).

Into the point now, I believe that using the same engine on all games by just making slight modifications on it, will have bad results in the future. IW won't be able to develop interactive and unusual games since it will be the same thing over and over again. Other companies are making huge progress at this part.

samb222

Recruit
I think they need to at least change their engine around a little. Maybe not for the main series, but if they branched off and created a brand new series of FPS' with a new engine, that would be really cool. Personally, I think the graphics aren't bad though. They do improve on them as new technologies emerge.
Yeah, that's a great idea actually, I could see myself getting into that...
A more strategic series with a brand new engine, providing never before seen game modes, graphics, amazing attention to detail... A new multiplayer system...

Activision take note! Something like this needs to happen! Haha

Khronic

Recruit
CoD is starting to get very fatigued. Every game seems like it's the last but with new characters and new guns. I'm hoping for an engine that treats physics a little better as well as possibly destructible environments. The destructible buildings in BF:BC literally gives me an erection.

Status
Not open for further replies.