• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

computer cases

freakdaddy64

Recruit
im thinking of possible pc case and thought it would be intresting topic so please post your current pc case with likes and dislikes im currently using the nzxt 710i which i like but it has a red bar that hides cables but can be annoying to work with. im looking at the lian li mesh 3 and the phantek p500a i think it is.

freakdaddy64

Recruit

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private

freakdaddy64

Recruit
yes i have really liked the nzxt but when i make a change or whatever that red bar has gotten on my nerves and with bigger graphics card it is close fit and extremly tight with 24 pin coming in, but i just got my new cablemod set today and will change out later.then ill see which way im going to go. and all my nzxt fans and rad will fit except for 140 rear.

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
The Corsair will have excellent cable management features, they always do well on that front. They are good with pricing too, good features at good prices.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
and with corsair i can add 3 non rgb to top and have push pull exhaust and add 3 rgb intake to side which i think would look nice. some serious airflow. we shall see. and may go vertical mount if not to close to glaas side. spice it up a little and might hang a disco ball inside too.

KeyboardDemon

Cool, try and take it as a series of pictures starting with unboxing so you can review the case in everything you experience as you complete your build.

It would be interesting, but it is hard work.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
will do. and right now im running 7 fans. this case has room for push/pull rad at the top or front. the cam software will roconize two fan controllers so when its done i will have 3 120 front intake 3 120 side intake 1 120 rear exhaust and 6 120 push/pull top exhaust 13 fans in all and it will be a major fan under taking.

KeyboardDemon

will do. and right now im running 7 fans. this case has room for push/pull rad at the top or front. the cam software will roconize two fan controllers so when its done i will have 3 120 front intake 3 120 side intake 1 120 rear exhaust and 6 120 push/pull top exhaust 13 fans in all and it will be a major fan under taking.
More fans = more air flow AND more noise or more fans at lower rpm can lead to the same air flow as fewer fans but now with less noise.

Fan controllers when setup correctly will allow you maximise airflow when required or balance noise and maintain good temperatures, but noise is not constant, there is a compound effect, 1 incredibly quiet fan makes less noise than 2 identically incredibly quiet fans operating together in the same conditions, however those 2 can be slowed down further to produce more combined air flow than the 1 on its own without a big impact on the noise levels.

That's where fan controllers can help, you can setup 'zones' such as:
  • all the AIO fans in 1 zone, matching the push and pull speeds
  • front intake as another zone
  • rear exhaust, and bottom intake etc...
Finding the delicate balance for each zone will take a lot of time and work, as you will need to tune and balance each zone in isolation, testing, recording results and conditions, then repeating. If you get the balance wrong, you can end up with turbulence, which generates more noise and prevents effective cooling.

I am sure Jayz2cents and BitWit have videos but it's 1am and I am about to go to bed, so tired to look right now.

The important take away from this is that more fans are not always going to get you better cooling, if it's not done right, it can make your temperatures worse instead of better and add to the noise levels from your PC, a complete lose, lose situation instead of a win, win, so be careful and good luck. Or better still, test with the fans you have and only add more if your cooling is not good enough or if your current setup is too loud.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
my current pc with the nzxt fans is pretty quiet ive never had an issue them being loud. im not expecting any different with corsair case.

KeyboardDemon

My point is, don't just as a stack of fans and expect an immediate benefit.

You will need to test, tune, retest, retune, and constantly monitor.

Also try different configs if you can, bottom to top, front to back, front to back and top, bottom and front to back and top etc...

Depending on your case and fan config you could create areas of turbulence that end up with pockets of trapped heat, your testing needs to identify this.

Here is a video on the subject:

In the video they are using a tower cooler and not an AIO like you, but the point is, try understand how air flow works. The video shows diminishing returns after adding just a few extra fans.

I added a more fans, not for cooling, but for the visual appeal and so I can reduce the fan speeds.

On a push pull config you will end up with six fans on your rad, but 3 of them will be hidden on the other side of the rad. If you won't be able to see them and they won't give you any extra cooling, what benefit would you expect to see from them?

freakdaddy64

Recruit
i dont know but im going to find out. im thinking with 3 fans added to radiator top exhaust that it will move air faster through radiator to help cooling which hasnt been a problem but cooler the better. and since the case has spot for 3 fans also thats more for looks but the way the case is set up it should only increase airflow. like you said test and retest.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
well case is swapped but my top and rear fan rgb not working so im tyring to find whats connected right or wrong or not connected ill post some pics and video soon.and i do like the way it is looking and really like the white with gray trim.