• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

denial of service attacks on pc through voice chat

soundsaint

Recruit
SO this is a thing now, Horrible. when is activision going to do something like this?

I was playing vanguard on pc, i said something on voice chat that was kinda snarky, then all of a suddon i get massive packet loss, then this dude gets on voice and says my name and "enjoy your mcdonalds wifi speeds"

This is a massive security risk, if someone can get your ip through voice chat, I think activision should be held accountable if any damage occurs.

SO this is a thing now, Horrible. when is activision going to do something like this?

I was playing vanguard on pc, i said something on voice chat that was kinda snarky, then all of a suddon i get massive packet loss, then this dude gets on voice and says my name and "enjoy your mcdonalds wifi speeds"

This is a massive security risk, if someone can get your ip through voice chat, I think activision should be held accountable if any damage occurs.
So you were using mc donalds wifi?

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
So you were using mc donalds wifi?
I think he means the person that made the comment was somehow able to retaliate by throttling his connection to the server so that it would run at the same speed as it would if he were connecting through a McDonald public Wi-Fi connection.

The way I read that comment, it sounds like the retaliation was instant, so I think any disruption was probably through some sort of attack on the server which would have affected everyone and not just the OP, I don't think it would have been possible for him to have gone through all of the required to steps to trace the OP's IP and then launch an attack in such a short space of time.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I think he means the person that made the comment was somehow able to retaliate by throttling his connection to the server so that it would run at the same speed as it would if he were connecting through a McDonald public Wi-Fi connection.

The way I read that comment, it sounds like the retaliation was instant, so I think any disruption was probably through some sort of attack on the server which would have affected everyone and not just the OP, I don't think it would have been possible for him to have gone through all of the required to steps to trace the OP's IP and then launch an attack in such a short space of time.
I agree. That's how I read it, too.

Ino it was a joke

Like CODForums!

Advertisements