• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

disc read error

smilemaker

Recruit
Hey all

after some help with my disc read error issue that i have now had for 4months :( on pc.

here is what i have done to date to resolve this issue

scan and repair game files. 10+ times over that time with no bad files found ect.
tried all of the fixes online that relate to disc read errors and also dev errors as i have had a few of those also.
reinstalled windows 10 4times
rebuilt whole pc again to rule out any connection issues mainly from mobo to ssd drive
at this point i still had the issue and was desperate :mad: so i went out and brought a new ssd to rule out ssd issue but issue stil persisted.
then went out and brought a new mobo :eek: as i had a feeling my only 5mnonth old board was abit faulty. due to bsod issues.
strange thing is the new mobo let the game run for about 6hours the evening i installed it :cool:
then the next day.......yep its doing it again!!!! grrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

this issue is driving me nuts and activison are yet to contact me back about this issue despite 2 emails and 2 dif fb activison pms.

Please if anyone can help me solve this? as afterall its my only fav game. well it was untill this started happening and its not like activision is going to give me my money back :mad:

any help much appreciated. stay safe all and happy gaming :)

please see pic attatched for error code

119837911_1051415278612182_1620139860968324062_n.jpg

smilemaker

Recruit
also forgot to mention at the start this has only happend since i upgraded from 8gb ram to 16gb ram. but now even with the original 8gb ram in the error is still there

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
So after swapping drives, motherboards and multiple fresh installs you still get the same error, so fault is not mobo, drives or OS, at least that's what I am assuming.

Run the game and next time you get the error just log out of the game and then log out of your Battlenet account and log back in again to both your Battlenet account and then your Activision account, in case some of your account details have become corrupted on the server, a lot out, log in might correct this.

But I am just clutching at straws and this is faster and cheaper than ordering even more hardware.

smilemaker

Recruit
So after swapping drives, motherboards and multiple fresh installs you still get the same error, so fault is not mobo, drives or OS, at least that's what I am assuming.

Run the game and next time you get the error just log out of the game and then log out of your Battlenet account and log back in again to both your Battlenet account and then your Activision account, in case some of your account details have become corrupted on the server, a lot out, log in might correct this.

But I am just clutching at straws and this is faster and cheaper than ordering even more hardware.
Thanks for your reply dizzy

But yes your correct even after all that i had done still the same issue.
So i also would say not a mobo issue.
I shall try your sudjesting later this eve and see how it goes..

Strange thing is last night i had 1 attempt at another possible fix. Which was reseting my bios to defaults. I hadent changed any settings in thier previously so i was at much hope with rhat fix. Yet i managed to play 1 game of plunder in warzone. Made it through the whole match without that issue until i had finished that game as as soon as it went to load back into main menu it crashed again with the same issue. I mean this is madness because that tels me its almost like a currupt file. BUT how is that possible with all the fresh installs i have done? Scan and repair game files dont find any issues and neither does windows 10 when i scan drives or repair files ect

But yes your correct even after all that i had done still the same issue.
So i also would say not a mobo issue.
I shall try your sudjesting later this eve and see how it goes..

Strange thing is last night i had 1 attempt at another possible fix. Which was reseting my bios to defaults. I hadent changed any settings in thier previously so i was at much hope with rhat fix. Yet i managed to play 1 game of plunder in warzone. Made it through the whole match without that issue until i had finished that game as as soon as it went to load back into main menu it crashed again with the same issue. I mean this is madness because that tels me its almost like a currupt file. BUT how is that possible with all the fresh installs i have done? Scan and repair game files dont find any issues and neither does windows 10 when i scan drives or repair files ect
Ps how do i logout of activision? Because 95% the issue wont let me even get into the game onto the main menu. Always crashes just as its about to load the first screen ect.

KeyboardDemon

You said:
I just want to examine that in a bit more detail, if that's ok with you.

1st. BIOS, this is on the new mobo, you reset the mobo BIOS back to factory and the game ran ok for 1 full round of plunder, roughly 30-minutes of playtime and then your issues started again.

Are you having any issues with other games? I'm asking because if your issue starts after a certain amount of time, then it sounds like it could possibly be a heat related issue, we can check that by using MSi Afterburner to monitor temperatures. I tend to watch my GPU, CPU temperatures, utilization and clock speeds as well as frame rates while I play and an error that starts a while after a game has been running faultlessly up to that point suggests that it could be heat related if your starting point was with a 'cold' start.

I posted this thread to help people discover where their system might be going wrong when something like this happens by using the telemetry that a package like MSi Afterburner can provide, take a look and see if you can get your system stats when playing, maybe even record the game using GeForce Experience or MSi Afterburner.

What CPU, GPU, mobo, RAM (capacity, speed and number of sticks), CPU cooler and PSU are you using?

Heat issues with CPU or GPU don't usually affect storage, but RAM issues might, so if your starts dropping data coming from a drive it might show as a drive issue, maybe you should start with testing your RAM using Memtest86+ and then go on to monitor temps if your RAM is ok.

Anytime. :cool:

smilemaker

Recruit
Hello again Dizzy :)

yes reset new bios/mobo back to defaults. and worked for 1 game of plunder. but then crashed as i was exiting plunder and going back into the main menu.

no no issues with any other games what so ever just cod mw. wouldnt say heat related what so ever
temps under load
cpu 66c
gpu 62c
os ssd 59c
mobo 40c

i looked on your thread as you mentioned. but i did not feel any of the info on there was realy relevant due to the amount of fixes ive tried and the things ive done to rule certain things out.

current system specs ect

cpu ryzen 5 2600
mobo msi b450m mortar (the new board)
gpu msi geforce 1650
ssd for games maxtor z1 450gb
ssd for os kingston a400 240gb
ram corsair vs 8gb x 2
psu think i went for a 750w branded one just cant remember exactly lol

i have tired memtest on my last board with no found issues. but that was only left running a few hours which i know should be a more 12hr thing :eek::)

i would say its ram related as i only started experience this issue on my first board when i installed the extra 8gb ram and since then no matter what ive tried it always goes back to the disc read error. i realy am lost on this now. i feel ive tried everything i possibly can so any new ideas will be greatly appreciated:D

Abit more of an update.

played a few other games without issues over the past 2hours. then thought id try mw. first try disc read error before it gets to the intro vid which is when it always appears. restarted pc and went into bios. reset defaults. restarted. loaded mw and it managed to work and get into the main menu and sat there for 20mins with no issues. then clicked on mw multiplayer. selected groundwar. a few people joined and started to load. got down to 2seconds before game started and boooooooooooom disc read error. :( :mad:

this to me totaly does not make any sense what so ever

is there any files that are created like memdump files that could be keeping the error there so everytime i go to play it it just does not work? i hate software. much more of a builder type of guy lol software is full of headaches unlike hardware lol

KeyboardDemon

cpu 66c
gpu 62c
os ssd 59c
mobo 40c
Temps look healthy, so that's good.

i looked on your thread as you mentioned. but i did not feel any of the info on there was realy relevant due to the amount of fixes ive tried and the things ive done to rule certain things out.
The idea behind that thread was to help people try to isolate some issues, but as with all PC problems, you need to divide and conquer, so you can narrow down the possible causes to just 1, then fix it, randomly swapping out parts is expensive, as you've probably noticed

current system specs ect

cpu ryzen 5 2600
mobo msi b450m mortar (the new board)
gpu msi geforce 1650
ssd for games maxtor z1 450gb
ssd for os kingston a400 240gb
ram corsair vs 8gb x 2
psu think i went for a 750w branded one just cant remember exactly lol
Does the new RAM match your existing memory completely, ie... same brand, same speed, same timings etc... It is alway better to add RAM in pairs, that way you can be sure that the 2 sticks will work we together, the other thing with RAM is to check the RAM you're buying is on the mobo's QVL (Qualified Vendor List) as this confirms that the RAM you have or want has been tested and shown to work on your mobo.

i have tired memtest on my last board with no found issues. but that was only left running a few hours which i know should be a more 12hr thing :eek::)

i would say its ram related as i only started experience this issue on my first board when i installed the extra 8gb ram and since then no matter what ive tried it always goes back to the disc read error. i realy am lost on this now. i feel ive tried everything i possibly can so any new ideas will be greatly appreciated:D
I forgot to say that make sure you are using the correct version of Memtest86, when I last needed it there were 2 versions, Memtest86 for 32 bit PCs, and Memtest86+ for 64 bit PCs, I just checked the website and this is now Memtest86 or Memtest64.

You will need Memtest64, I once left the 32 bit version running on a PC for over 48-hours when I went away 1 weekend and forgot to turn my PC off, it found zero faults, so I swapped out my PSU only to find I still had the same issue. then I took out 2 sticks of RAM and my issues stopped. I tested those 2 sticks with the 64 bit version and it found a whole stack of problems.

Here, you might find the easiest solution is to take out the new stick of RAM and try again to see if you have the same problem.

smilemaker

Recruit
Hello again Dizzy. On my mobile at mo so abit limeted in my reply.. but i think i may be on to something as from last night :p .but i pray i am lol. So i took one of my ram sticks out. As like i said this was only since i upgraded from 8gb to 16gb. Didont do anything else other than that. Managed to play 1round of plunder. 2 rounds of mw multiplayer death match. And 3 rounds of ground war. WIth NO issues. So i have a feeling maybe the stick i removed is actuaply the bad one. As prior to all these issues i bad a bad stick which i sent back and it was tested and was stated to be working so thay sent me it back. But im thinking maybe all this time i was infact running the bad stick. Which also would explain all the bsod i was getting. I shall be online again later this eve to test this theroy. Just pray that was the issue. Although if it wasnt then i doubt i would have been able to play alot of games taking roughly 2/3 hours on there lol :)

KeyboardDemon

Cool, well done on getting the issue sorted, test it to make sure by swapping the current stick with the suspected 'bad' stick to see if the error comes back, if it does, send a follow up message to the service center to tell them this is what is happening, they might agree to RMA the RAM for a swap out.

But also make sure that you have got RAM that's listed on the QVL for your mobo.

smilemaker

Recruit
Cool, well done on getting the issue sorted, test it to make sure by swapping the current stick with the suspected 'bad' stick to see if the error comes back, if it does, send a follow up message to the service center to tell them this is what is happening, they might agree to RMA the RAM for a swap out.

But also make sure that you have got RAM that's listed on the QVL for your mobo.
I sure will do Dizzy.. do you kmow od any otyer memory testing apps i can use to fully test it heavily? Other than memtest? I currently use things like furmark ect but mainly for gpu/cpu

smilemaker

Recruit
Thanks Dizzy :)

Ok so here is what ive found

The stick i was trying to run lately which i thought may be the bad stick actually passed windows memory dianostic. found 0 errors. runs great in windows for the short period of time after when i just checked to see if it would bsod which it did not. yet tried to play mw and again same disc read error. so stick came out.

The stick i was running mw on last night with no faults put that back in and bam! no issues in either windows nor mw so im happy that stick is good in either situation.

So then i got the stick the company i brought it from sent me back saying its fine. and oh look bsod 4 times couldnt even make it into windows to do any testing.

This is soooo strange to me. never experienced this in my 15+ years of building my own pcs.

Im kinda confused at the mo to what is realy going on considering the hardware i have already replaced ect.

Is it possible something else could be causing the ram to fail like this but only in mw? id say no but no expert on software

Thanks Dizzy :)

Ok so here is what ive found

The stick i was trying to run lately which i thought may be the bad stick actually passed windows memory dianostic. found 0 errors. runs great in windows for the short period of time after when i just checked to see if it would bsod which it did not. yet tried to play mw and again same disc read error. so stick came out.

The stick i was running mw on last night with no faults put that back in and bam! no issues in either windows nor mw so im happy that stick is good in either situation.

So then i got the stick the company i brought it from sent me back saying its fine. and oh look bsod 4 times couldnt even make it into windows to do any testing.

This is soooo strange to me. never experienced this in my 15+ years of building my own pcs.

Im kinda confused at the mo to what is realy going on considering the hardware i have already replaced ect.

Is it possible something else could be causing the ram to fail like this but only in mw? id say no but no expert on software

Maybe even the fact its cheap ram? despite it being corsair?

KeyboardDemon

The price of the RAM is not as important as making sure you have supported RAM, some people pay more for features like RGB lighting but the actual chips are the same as the 1s used on cheaper non-RGB models.

smilemaker

Recruit
ok. ive always mainly look at ddr number mhz and to make sure manufactures memory support list lits the same specs as on the mobo. is there more i need to look at?

ok so just been checking on the msi website for the mortar max board and this is what it states.

1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC)
For AMD Ryzen Gen3 (R5/R7/R9)
2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466/ 3733/ 3866/ 4000/ 4133 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)
For AMD Other CPU
2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)

im running or trying to run a ryzen 3 on 2133mhz ram. could this be my problem? just it states if ryzen 3 min is 2667mhz?

KeyboardDemon

Yes, timings more expensive RAM doesn't just run faster it has lower timings.

I think the simple explanation of memory speed vs memory timing or latency is that:
Speed is how quickly memory moves data from point a to b.
Latency (timings) is about how quickly the memory starts doing that transfer or operation.

CPU-Z Memory Timings.jpg

In the picture above you can see the Memory timing for my RAM, the frequency is the running speed and then the CAS Latency, and CAS Delay are about access speeds, other stats include how long it takes for the memory to refresh, which needs to be done in order to stop the RAM from losing data, and how long it takes to actually store data as well.

Buying matching kits means that you don't have to check all of this as it's been done for you at the factory, especially when using a modern PC that runs in dual channel mode where unmatched RAM can actually slow you PC down to the speed of the slowest stick and that could means fewer frames per second when gaming.

ok so just been checking on the msi website for the mortar max board and this is what it states.

For AMD Ryzen Gen3 (R5/R7/R9)
2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466/ 3733/ 3866/ 4000/ 4133 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)
For AMD Other CPU
2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)

im running or trying to run a ryzen 3 on 2133mhz ram. could this be my problem? just it states if ryzen 3 min is 2667mhz?
2133 is the default speed, you can set something called an XMP profile in the BIOS of you mobo, this will increase the speed that your RAM runs at, so that it is running at the speed it was designed to run at instead of the speed that the mobo thinks it should run at.

My advise here is, get a dual channel matched RAM kit, if you're planning to get a new CPU later down the line then get either 3200 or 3600 rated RAM, I am using 2x8GB, it doesn't have the best timings available, but it's the best I could afford. Corsair give you a lifetime warranty and are a well trusted brand by many PC enthusiasts, but there are many good brands out there, such as HyperX (part of the Kingston group), G-Skill, Crucial (part of the Micron group) and Team-Group.

Kingston, Samsung, SK Hynix, and Micron are some of the biggest manufacturers of RAM chips, I think Kingston were number 1 a few years ago, but thanks to its mobile phone components division I think Samsung has now taken that crown.

The chips in my Corsair RAM are made by Samsung.

smilemaker

Recruit
Hey Dizzy sorry for the delayed reply it was a rather late one last night trying to figure out if infact was the ram mhz problem so i decided to oc my ram to see if it improved. or atleast run mw. and i ran into some good but strange findings.

My mobo luckily has a oc feature in the bios for cpu and ram overclocking, the one for my ram i was using was called (try it?) which has preset clocks and mhz so seems rather safe at this poiont.

And here is what i found. (basicly because if it is the fact the mhz ect are too little for my cpu then il buy a good set of high mhz ram) like you sudjest.

Here is what i found in regards to mhz, bearing in mind all the clocks are preset

Stock 2133mhz
First test 2667mhz (ran one game of mw then crashed)
second test 2933mhz (ran 3games in a row then crashed on exit of that current game with disc read error but with what looked like a map name after it) :)
third test 3000mhz (crashed sometimes with disc read error and sometimes with black screen then the disc read error after the black screen)

Id say the 2933mhz was best for it but im thinking now is there anyway i can tweak the clocks abit? if so where do i start. dont worry i used to oc my pcs all the time. so i sort of know the basics but i havent done ocing in many years

It would be nice if i could just oc these sticks having to pay out on more hardware. but if i cant then il just buy new sticks.

Also though even at 3000mhz i had no windows issues ect no bsod. it seems from online research 2133mhz can go upto 3000mhz before start running into problems.

KeyboardDemon

When it comes to trouble shooting it is better to do 1 thing at a time.

All you had to do was take out the 1 stick of RAM that is known to be good and replace it with the other stick then test.

If you do that now after adding an overclock and you find a fault, how will you know if the fault is because of the stock and not the overclock?

We can deal with ram speed once we have determined what the underlying issue is, at the moment we suspect it is either 1 of your RAM sticks has a fault or when the 2 sticks are used together there is a compatibility issue.

If you can reset your mobo bios and try swapping the RAM sticks we will find out if the second stick is actually faulty.

If you stick to the plan we can get this sorted faster.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

smilemaker

Recruit
Hello again Dizzy :p yes sorry I don't know why I didont try what you have sudjested before. think lack of sleep has got to me lol :D

So I just tried what you said and found come interesting results

Please see pics below for details.

The micron fails everytime in mw
The hynix however runs realy good

both were tested in the same slot seperately

Ok it wont upload the images for some reason so here is the rough details..

Module manuf Corsair
DRAM manuf SK Hynix
stock 2133 clocks ect

Runs sweet everytime.

2nd stick

module manuf Corsair
DRAM manuf Microm Tehcnology
stock 2133 clocks ect

Crashed every time with the disc read error cant even play a single game.

:)

KeyboardDemon

Ok. Good, that's very helpful.

First contact Corsair Customer Service and explain what was happening and what you did to test the RAM (don't mention overclocking AT ALL, that's an instant warranty void response for most companies)

Now your options are to either buy a single stick of RAM that's identical to the RAM that you're using or to buy a matched pair of 3200 DDR4, I would suggest at least 2x8GB then put your original stick of SK Hynix RAM on eBay to recover as much as you can for it or keep it as a spare for testing purposes.

I don't recommend getting a single stick, as you can't guarantee that your new RAM will use SK Hynix modules and you want them to match plus it is better to buy faster RAM then it is to overclock slower RAM as you will not have to deal with stability issues this way.

Now, the final point with your RAM, the 3200 speed RAM makes sense if you are planning to upgrade to faster CPU either now or in the future, if you don't think this is something that you will do then don't get 3200, get either 2400 or 2667 and stick to the XMP profiles. But if you do want to overclock your RAM then use this DRAM Calculator for Ryzen to help you get it right.

smilemaker

Recruit
Ok Dizzy ;)

Probly not looking to upgrade the cpu at anytime soon.

so after speaking to you the other day i have since learnt that my ryzen 2600 is actually the ryzen 2nd gen 5 2600 not 3rd gen lol

so therefore the max ram support for that cpu is actually..

2933mhz.

and my mobo ram support for a gen 2 is..

the trouble there is if i go for the 2933mhz ram from novatech which is where i prefer to order from the 2933mhz is quite pricey @ £110 for a 2x8gb kit and thay only do 1 x 2933mhz ram which is that kit.

where as the 2666 kit which is the same kit is only £60 so a big dif.

both kits are the..
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory (RAM) Kit

minus the mhz change.

do you think this is the option to have? i dont realy see any other way to get max perf and on a budget lol. i mean i 100% wanted to upgrade the ram at a later stage anyway as the current ram was just to get me going

:p

Like CODForums!

Advertisements