1. Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: WWII, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Hardcore Henry-The Live Action FPS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Toxic34, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Toxic34

Toxic34 Recruit

I recently bought a copy of the STX Entertainment/Universal Pictures film Hardcore Henry, which was released last spring and made waves as a big action movie filmed in a first-person perspective. And I have to say that I was quite impressed.

10 years prior, the in-name-only film version of Doom had a then-groundbreaking FPS scene that lasted for 5 minutes. It does not hold up well, as it is clear that it is a camera rolling on wheels, and the feeling is more of an arcade rail shooter rather than anything remotely resembling Doom. Hardcore Henry was filmed on GoPro, clipped to body suits worn by 6 different men, and it shows. Everything you would expect to find in a big, bombastic, loud FPS game is here, and it transfers well to the medium of film. It goes through every single expected trope, and is a nonstop, adrenaline-packed experience that never wears out its welcome. After only 90 minutes, you will be left thirsting for more.

Many video game adaptations are absolute clusterfucks, that only use the series name to lure people in and give virtually nothing in return to the fans, and also are very condescending to their audience. The Resident Evil films and Uwe Boll's so-called movies are exhibit A in this category. Even films that are faithful to their source material don't hold up well, in part because they try to condense the experience of a game into a 90 minute or 2 hour film, and carry themselves so seriously that they never crack a smile or let the viewer get comfortable. The promise squandered in the film versions of Warcraft and Assassin's Creed demonstrate this quite vividly.

Hardcore Henry is a proud celebration of the FPS genre, and never hides what it is, and it shows. One can get the sense of absolute fun that the cast and crew had with this experience, and it organically infects the audience as they're asked to share it. Simply put, even without an actual game to be based on, this is the best video game film that has ever been made. Hopefully, we will get a sequel.

2. Carlos

Carlos Owner
    Staff Member Private

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the Resident Evil films! They were almost close to the source material as possible than anything video-games-inspired-films can bring you. In fact, Anderson's portrayal of Alice couldn't have gone any better - they turned Alice into a bonafide badass with the films. I'm still scratching my head - why Capcom hasn't made a [game] spin-off in her name? I mean, you can basically use the DMC engine and pluck Alice in there. I almost thought I was watching a DMC-meets-Resident Evil story throughout the Anderson story.

It's going to be sad to see Paul W. S. Anderson go. He did the Resident Evil franchise justice. And the sales for the films reflect that. People enjoyed Anderson's vision of a Resident Evil film. But they will do a reboot under someone else's name. It will be hard for that person to fill Anderson's shoes.

3. Toxic34

Toxic34 Recruit

Is that snark? You might have to identify it clearly for the people that are confused.

Either way, did you see Hardcore Henry? And if so, your thoughts?

4. Carlos

Carlos Owner
    Staff Member Private

You said Exhibit A to Resident Evil and the Uwe Boll's films because they condescend film watchers. Resident Evil is not in that category. It stays true to the source material, and then some more. You kept going in this category, too. I agree most video-games-inspired-films aren't up to par to their game counterparts, but Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat are examples of staying true to source material, and upping the ante.
    I've not watched it, I feel that it's better either viewed in theatres, or through VR. I mean, that IS the point of the film.

5. Toxic34

Toxic34 Recruit

Well, Alice was created solely for the films. But I'm glad that you like the films. I'm certainly glad that someone does, so more power to you.

I agree, it would've been better to view Hardcore Henry in theaters or VR, but since it's a live action FPS, I like to put the Blu-ray in my Xbox One, hold the controller, and pretend I'm playing a game. Or that this is a YouTube video that someone posted, saying "PERFECT WALKTHROUGH!"