• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

IMPORTANT. Look out for suspicious links.

DizzyDemon

Recruit
Just a quick heads up people, I have noticed an increase in phishing attempts on here.

Phishing, for those that don't know is tempting people to go to potentially malicious or dangerous websites by persuading them to click on links by falsely promising to take them to sites or content that might interest them.

Often they will use shortened web addresses such as those links found on bitly.

I have spotted some where the shortening service either pays the originator for getting unique clicks to those links or worse where the shortening service is known for redirecting people to sites that are known to be dangerous or malicious.

Trustworthy links such as those to YouTube will usually be posted as media links and include a thumbnail of the YouTube.

If you see anything else copy the link and then feed it into a Google search then report any posts where Google suggests there is a potential danger.

Do not follow those links, the people posting might be after your CoD Accounts, trying to install ransomware or put you at risk of some other form of malicious attack.

Links such as those should be reported to help protect other members on here to @Carlos. The forum can't be held responsible if you click on such a link and you end up losing access to your computer, gaming account or suffer financial loss.

Reported posts can be investigated giving Carlos the chance to take appropriate action, such as deleting the link and banking the poster.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Haven

Recruit
My suggestion would be that @Carlos promotes 1 or 2 active members to moderator the forums when he's not able to handle these scenarios right away. :oops:

DizzyDemon

Recruit
While that sounds like a good idea, my point is we have to take responsibility for the links we choose to follow.

Carlos has set rules and there are some generally accepted rules of nettiquette but people still break them when they have the incentive of gaining financial rewards.

I don't know if it is seasonal or pandemic related but the number of bad players out there that are trying to catch out people through dodgy links is definitely increasing.

All I'm really saying is be careful and report suspicious activity so then Carlos and his team can act.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
My suggestion would be that @Carlos promotes 1 or 2 active members to moderator the forums when he's not able to handle these scenarios right away. :oops:
I already have a moderator, and I've known him for YEARS. We met on a Call of Duty Forum.

I approve of this thread, and I agree with what @DizzyDemon said. Just report the content to me, and I'll take care of it. I will even block any avenue the person has, such as viewing the site. Or redirect them to a crappy site or link. Previously, I redirected them to a competitor site, that I wanted to give shit members to. As of right now, though, I'm redirecting them to a streamer that did me wrong. (So they can bother him, instead. I'm an asshole, but the kind that if you piss me off, or do me wrong, I will do it back at you. Simple.)

Haven

Recruit
I already have a moderator, and I've known him for YEARS. We met on a Call of Duty Forum.

I approve of this thread, and I agree with what @DizzyDemon said. Just report the content to me, and I'll take care of it. I will even block any avenue the person has, such as viewing the site. Or redirect them to a crappy site or link. Previously, I redirected them to a competitor site, that I wanted to give shit members to. As of right now, though, I'm redirecting them to a streamer that did me wrong. (So they can bother him, instead. I'm an asshole, but the kind that if you piss me off, or do me wrong, I will do it back at you. Simple.)
Fair.