• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Low FPS is unplayable! Please help

matt dcptn

Recruit
Whatever I do, I can't get FPS above 60. Right now the game runs around 20-50 FPS even with every setting on the absolute lowest possible. Even at 60 render resolution the game is just choppy and not fluent at all. A player could be 20 feet in front of me and I could barely see him. If I put render resolution to 100, i get like 15 FPS.. just awful. Anyways, game is literally unplayable and becoming insanely frustrating because I just want to play with my buddys. I've updated all my drivers.... I've tried a handful of Youtube videos on how to fix FPS and just can't figure it out how to fix it.

I run other first person shooters no issues at all..

One thing i noticed was my VRAM was way maxed out, I did some Youtube fix which got rid of that but I'm not sure what's going on.

I think my rig meets the minimum requirements at least but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate that.

Thank you!!!

MY RIG:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor
16 GB RAM
SSD

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
The GTX1060 has 6GB VRAM iirc, this should be enough to run the game without running into graphics memory related issues unless you have the high resolution texture packs enabled. Check this and disable it first if you have these installed.

What resolution are you playing at? With your hardware you should be able to manage 1920*1080 and get a decent gaming experience.

Have you tried using GeForce Experience to configure the best optimized settings for your PC. If not, see how the game runs with that set for performance.

Are you monitoring CPU ans GPU temperatures? Check that the aren't reaching thermal limits and then throttling components down.

Thermal issues can be caused by dust, the 1700X launched in 2017. If your PC used the latest tech when it was built it might by now have a lot of dust inside, this reduces how well your coolers can disipate heat.

matt dcptn

Recruit
Hey,

Thanks for trying to help. I ended up deleting Virtual memory which helped me get my FPS to 40-50.

Right now I'm getting 40-50 FPS but I'm playing on a 34inch MSI 60hz monitor in Borderless mode at 70 rendering resolution. If I go to 100 i get like 20-40 and it's just unplayable.

I did the GeForce Optimization which didnt do anything..

As for the GPU and CPU temperatures... It's around 66-72 degrees.... Do you know what a healthy temperature should me?

Thanks alot

KeyboardDemon

Your temperatures look fine to me. Over 80 and I would be thinking about how to reduce them, over 90 and then the alarm bells should start ringing, over 95 and you'd be just asking for a meltdown!

Looking at YouTube videos where other people have shown similar spec PCs to yours, your 40-50fps looks about half the rate others are getting in Warzone, take a look at this:

Start with adjusting your VRAM Usage Target here:
Call of Duty  Black Ops Cold War Screenshot 2021.04.14 - 12.24.46.74.png

As you have a 3gb 1060 and not a 6gb version you might need to set it as high as you can, but then reduce it if you are encountering new issues when you play the game.

Restart shaders every time you change your VRAM settings.

Also, try this:
Call of Duty  Black Ops Cold War Screenshot 2021.04.14 - 12.45.42.65.png
It might help to get the game to work out how it can best use the hardware that's available for it.

Whatever I do, I can't get FPS above 60. Right now the game runs around 20-50 FPS even with every setting on the absolute lowest possible. Even at 60 render resolution the game is just choppy and not fluent at all. A player could be 20 feet in front of me and I could barely see him. If I put render resolution to 100, i get like 15 FPS.. just awful. Anyways, game is literally unplayable and becoming insanely frustrating because I just want to play with my buddys. I've updated all my drivers.... I've tried a handful of Youtube videos on how to fix FPS and just can't figure it out how to fix it.

I run other first person shooters no issues at all..

One thing i noticed was my VRAM was way maxed out, I did some Youtube fix which got rid of that but I'm not sure what's going on.

I think my rig meets the minimum requirements at least but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate that.

Thank you!!!

MY RIG:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor
16 GB RAM
SSD
A1060 3gb is always going to struggle in this game you need to upgrade your gpu im afraid or play it on console if thats an option.

KeyboardDemon

A1060 3gb is always going to struggle in this game you need to upgrade your gpu im afraid or play it on console if thats an option.
That's not true, you should be able to get up to 80fps, maybe a bit higher, as demonstrated in this video:
You might need to allow for a lower fps based on your processor, so an older Ryzen 7 1700X might produce 3%-8% lower fps than a 3700X CPU, even if we called that 10%-15% that is still on a drop of 8-12fps at best.

In the areas where the fps drops to around 60, you should still be able to get around 51fps with your setup.