• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Makarov's backstory and motives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it on another thread but I'm new to COD and just replayed the OG trilogy. So can someone please clear this up for me: Now I was on a certain blog website and was just browsing COD stuff and came across a post about Makarov that just ... idk how to describe it. Where the girl was saying how he was a sympathetic villain who was once good then turned evil once the soviet union fell because he was poor and stuff and went nuts after that. And he "didn't start out as a bad guy" .... Now I want to ask real COD players what I'm missing. Cause from what I read on the wiki and in game--he was doing some horrible stuff in Chechnya in "cleaning raids" or something.

She also added how he had little to no backstory and his motives were unclear ... Again am I missing something? We know more about him then Soap and Price (though yes not as much as Ghost) and his motives were actually clear. He was pissed that the "west" called him out in Chechnya--pissed that Russia didn't stick up for him--pissed that Price almost killed Zakhaev then Soap killed him. I mean I can go on but like I said earlier, the wiki explains the motives perfectly and eloquently. And the reasons are actually good reasons (imo) for a villain.

Personally I understand he has his reasons, yeah he's ruthless and yes he loves Russia even if he has to hurt her. But I always liked the fact that he was unsympathetic. And I always felt as though he was always a crappy dude who just turned crappier. But we don't know. So I don't know. But it's hard sometimes to know if the person is saying the truth on that blog or just making a headcannon cause they say "I assume" at first then talk as though it's THE FACT.

To conclude (sorry this is long) I just want to know what I'm missing that this person knows.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I said it on another thread but I'm new to COD and just replayed the OG trilogy. So can someone please clear this up for me: Now I was on a certain blog website and was just browsing COD stuff and came across a post about Makarov that just ... idk how to describe it. Where the girl was saying how he was a sympathetic villain who was once good then turned evil once the soviet union fell because he was poor and stuff and went nuts after that. And he "didn't start out as a bad guy" .... Now I want to ask real COD players what I'm missing. Cause from what I read on the wiki and in game--he was doing some horrible stuff in Chechnya in "cleaning raids" or something.

She also added how he had little to no backstory and his motives were unclear ... Again am I missing something? We know more about him then Soap and Price (though yes not as much as Ghost) and his motives were actually clear. He was pissed that the "west" called him out in Chechnya--pissed that Russia didn't stick up for him--pissed that Price almost killed Zakhaev then Soap killed him. I mean I can go on but like I said earlier, the wiki explains the motives perfectly and eloquently. And the reasons are actually good reasons (imo) for a villain.

Personally I understand he has his reasons, yeah he's ruthless and yes he loves Russia even if he has to hurt her. But I always liked the fact that he was unsympathetic. And I always felt as though he was always a crappy dude who just turned crappier. But we don't know. So I don't know. But it's hard sometimes to know if the person is saying the truth on that blog or just making a headcannon cause they say "I assume" at first then talk as though it's THE FACT.

To conclude (sorry this is long) I just want to know what I'm missing that this person knows.
Think of the story the same way we do against China right now. Everyone is blaming China for the COVID19 outbreak. And they got more and more guilty as time went on. But their propaganda team deflected back on us saying "U.S. don't blame us for your incompetence." I was thinking: "Uh... No. You're incompetent." At the same time, people here on mainland U.S. are rounding up Chinese people, or Chinese-Americans and doing crime to them. Why? (Because there are stupid...) people who think that Chinese people living here are the cause of the virus. It's not. It wasn't. All this hate crime is stupid, because the Chinese people on mainland China are the victims to the Communist Party's extreme controls towards dissents.

U.S. in the story is being blamed for the Airport incident. But it was Russia who incited the incident. Makarov kills the undercover agent. Thing is, in the story, nobody knows this. Because Russia, even during the Soviet Union. Actually, especially during the Soviet Union - Russia has always been this communist country that kills its own people in order to control the message. Russia even though is a shadow of their former self, is still largely communist. So, Makarov, in the story... thinks that U.S. is responsible for the "fall of Soviet Union."

The game is based in realism, so you need to use hisory to really understand Makarov's motives.

Well actually I am Ukraine and Czech and I heard stories from my mother and father who both say very different things about that every at the time then that post I read.

The post said how Makarov grew up in a happy loving home and didn't hate the US until that UN summit where he had to resign, then he went home and became poor. No mention of Zakhaev. When I know he took Makarov under his wing evetually. Also, there was another post on why he is not a villain ....

Back to my family stories, they barely hugged their kids but the kids was use to it. My father was actually in a communist boy camp (red shorts and everything). Later on my father was actually a communist "criminal" who had to flee to Austria because his grandfather refused to admit he was part of the communist party. Plus my other grandfather was a Kozak horse keeper and rarely talked about his life.

Why I posted what I posted wasn't because I didn't understand the situation. It's just that I want to know other's opinion's on his backstory and motives. Both of which I feel are good for his character. But I see others disagree--as in that post I read that said his motives are unclear and he has no backstory.

Personally I believe that post was a excuse to humanize him mostly cause I was on the wrong as it seems like a fan website (... Tumblr ...) with fan fic. and everything. This real world situation with the virus is making me look up stupid crap as I am currently located in the second hardest hit state in USA--so please excuse me. And I want to say thanks for your answer/post.

Also, my father talked about the propaganda that occurred. I even met a few Russian people online who says that the negative propaganda against the US is still strong in Russia. I believe that Makarov always DISLIKED the west and US from the start--but after his having to resign is when he HATED the West and US.

*sorry for the double post*

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Well actually I am Ukraine and Czech and I heard stories from my mother and father who both say very different things about that every at the time then that post I read.
Heey, nice to meet you. (Though, I'll come back to this later.)
The post said how Makarov grew up in a happy loving home and didn't hate the US until that UN summit where he had to resign, then he went home and became poor. No mention of Zakhaev. When I know he took Makarov under his wing evetually. Also, there was another post on why he is not a villain ....

Back to my family stories, they barely hugged their kids but the kids was use to it. My father was actually in a communist boy camp (red shorts and everything). Later on my father was actually a communist "criminal" who had to flee to Austria because his grandfather refused to admit he was part of the communist party. Plus my other grandfather was a Kozak horse keeper and rarely talked about his life.

Why I posted what I posted wasn't because I didn't understand the situation. It's just that I want to know other's opinion's on his backstory and motives. Both of which I feel are good for his character. But I see others disagree--as in that post I read that said his motives are unclear and he has no backstory.

Personally I believe that post was a excuse to humanize him mostly cause I was on the wrong as it seems like a fan website (... Tumblr ...) with fan fic. and everything. This real world situation with the virus is making me look up stupid crap as I am currently located in the second hardest hit state in USA--so please excuse me. And I want to say thanks for your answer/post.
I'm going to refrain from talking about your family, that's a can of worms I wish not to open. But on bolded. This virus isn't just for U.S., it's spreading all over the world. Many countries are pissed off at China, and not just U.S. The game's story is about U.S. vs Russia, with you being in some parts of U.K. and similar European locations. Thing is, though, the Pandemic hit Italy the hardest. The whole country is on lockdown. We were second behind them. While all this chaos is going on, there are some places that China and/or the China Communist Party wants to control so they can place themselves in the right place for the 3rd World War. There are already reports that China wants to take over Africa, because China has a geography issue. This is based on my research over the last 6 months watching YouTube. I'm piecing information together to form a new picture.

Thing is, though, this pandemic started because of a protest. China's Communist Party wants to control more and more of the press, and other dissents - they killed whistleblowers, they killed journalists, they killed their own people during that same protest. It's just one big snowball coming down the slope.
Also, my father talked about the propaganda that occurred. I even met a few Russian people online who says that the negative propaganda against the US is still strong in Russia. I believe that Makarov always DISLIKED the west and US from the start--but after his having to resign is when he HATED the West and US.
Yeah, it's because of the propaganda. It's like Osama Bin Laden's story, where he believes that god is telling him to kill U.S. That's a whole another story, but 9/11 happened because Bin Laden had this ideology that stems from the rites of Allah. (Most people in Middle East have different religions, but they have a common theme and thread - allah.)
*sorry for the double post*
No problem! Merged for you! :)

Forgive me, but I'm actually from the usa, perhaps I wrote wrong I do believe I meant to say I was from the second hardest hit STATE (New Jersey) if rather stressful here as I live in the city and NO ONE is staying 6 feet apart--in fact in my apartment complex I'm made fun of because I run back into my apartment when people gather in the hallway.

I'm sorry about the world and it's problems--no disrespect--but with the virus I'm only worrying right now about Jersey and my family. Please stay safe!

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Forgive me, but I'm actually from the usa, perhaps I wrote wrong I do believe I meant to say I was from the second hardest hit STATE (New Jersey) if rather stressful here as I live in the city and NO ONE is staying 6 feet apart--in fact in my apartment complex I'm made fun of because I run back into my apartment when people gather in the hallway.

I'm sorry about the world and it's problems--no disrespect--but with the virus I'm only worrying right now about Jersey and my family. Please stay safe!
Relax, I know you're here in U.S. I know that. Read the whole thing to get the context of what I said.

Let those piece of shits make fun of you. Say to yourself "I don't care what people think of me. Fuck 'em." And feel that way, too. Because the virus is real.

" Many countries are pissed off at China, and not just U.S. The game's story is about U.S. vs Russia, with you being in some parts of U.K. and similar European locations. Thing is, though, the Pandemic hit Italy the hardest. The whole country is on lockdown. We were second behind them. "

It just threw me over a loop at first we're talking about China--then the game--then the pandemic within three sentences.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
" Many countries are pissed off at China, and not just U.S. The game's story is about U.S. vs Russia, with you being in some parts of U.K. and similar European locations. Thing is, though, the Pandemic hit Italy the hardest. The whole country is on lockdown. We were second behind them. "

It just threw me over a loop at first we're talking about China--then the game--then the pandemic within three sentences.
It's relevant, because the stories are similar. What the games are describing is a modern Cold War.

I don't know if you realize it, but we're living in that storyline. But instead of Russia being the prime enemy, or North Korea as the prime enemy (like Trump originally wanted), it's China. In Black Ops 2, you see the same exact themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements