• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

monitors

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
curved monitor or not thats todays question.
Depending on what would be behind you. It's like this, if you have overwhelming lighting behind you, you'll see reflections in your view. That's why we stick with flats...

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
It depends on the size, anything above a 33" monitor the curve would make the monitor easier to view.

Ultrawide monitors are easier to view with a curve as well.

You might not notice the curve as much on a 27" - 29" 16:9 monitor like a 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 display.

I'm retired LEO, that took to repairing Computers and TVs in my retirement..

I had a nice 65" Curved TV come thru my shop that I ended up owning. I was giddy with excitement to have a curved TV on my wall..

But I came to realize that, as with touchscreen computers and 3D TVs, it's an exciting idea at first but the novelty wears off fast and then it's just another technological dunsel.

Perhaps it's different with a monitor that you sit close to, but it's been my experience that a curved display is a spendy item that doesn't really bring any enhancement or advantage.. One would probably be better served to apply the extra $$ to a bigger/higher quality flat display..

Just my 2 cents...

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
I'm retired LEO, that took to repairing Computers and TVs in my retirement..

I had a nice 65" Curved TV come thru my shop that I ended up owning. I was giddy with excitement to have a curved TV on my wall..

But I came to realize that, as with touchscreen computers and 3D TVs, it's an exciting idea at first but the novelty wears off fast and then it's just another technological dunsel.

Perhaps it's different with a monitor that you sit close to, but it's been my experience that a curved display is a spendy item that doesn't really bring any enhancement or advantage.. One would probably be better served to apply the extra $$ to a bigger/higher quality flat display..

Just my 2 cents...
I think what you're saying is more applicable to TVs then monitors.

Assuming you're sitting at the correct 1.2* to 1.5* the diagonal distance from the screen, then your conventional flat monitor would be farther away from you at the extreme edges than it would be if those corners were curved.

However this assumption falls flat (pun intended) when the monitor is smaller than a 33" at 16:9 screen aspect ratio. I think a curved monitor makes the most sense with an ultrawide screen because the edges are stretched father away from the viewer.

I have not seen the appeal yet, but there are not many places near me where I can sit in front of an ultrawide monitor to see I how get on with one of these, so in truth I don't know if I would enjoy a benefit from these.

If you can pop down to a local Micro Center and try 1 out, then do that first, you need to experience this sort of thing before buying something like this.

it's been my experience that a curved display is a spendy item that doesn't really bring any enhancement or advantage.. One would probably be better served to apply the extra $$ to a bigger/higher quality flat display..
Once again, I think this is a TV thing, there are some monitors out there that have both a flat and curved counterpart with no price difference between them.

I meant to put this in my last post, I am sure @Carlos will amend the previous post with this 1 and then this sentence will look really odd at the end of a single post!! (~_^)