• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

my love hate relationship with this game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, I rarely post here but I thought I might as well try to be a bit more active.

Am I the only one who has a serious love hate semi-masochistic relationship with this game?

This game's kind of reignited my interest in the series…MW3, Black Ops 2, and Ghosts were all big disappointments (which is funny when I consider the fact that blops 2 and Ghosts were my best CoD games). And while AW isn't a perfect game by any means…at least it's something different.

I love it because it's certainly faster paced than Ghosts.

It plays well, although the time to kill's still a bit slow for my taste.

it looks good, it was nice to see the game seem to actually put forth an effort in the graphics area…although it still needs work if it wants to stand up to newer shooters.

the weapons are cool. They look cool as Hell, they feel all right.

the single player's….an improvement…I wouldn't call it amazing. The levels are still incredibly linear and the story's average at best and very predictable. But I wouldn't say it could stand up to BioShock or Deus Ex for story.

And I'm having fun…I enjoyed the last 3 games but they could make me rage like no other game, and I lost interest in Ghosts really quickly. I only kept playing because I was in a clan at the time, that was it.

On the other hand…we still don't have dedicated servers.

the weapon balance has some issues. The KF5 and ASM1 seem to be the only really decent choices.

the streaks are garbage…cool looking, fun to use, but they don't work consistently. I can get more kills using non lethals and rushing, it's pathetic when an upgraded UAV gets your more kills than the highest assault streak in the game. Which is also sad because god damn it, the Paladin is so cool. I'm really tired of assault streaks not doing their job…they were garbage in MW3, and in Ghosts, they seemed to come back a bit in black ops 2, and then they're back to being trash in AW. Streaks are one of the few things that seems to set CoD aside from other shooters…don't know why they keep ruining them.

the spawns are bad.

the maps are sub-average, it doesn't help your already underpowered streaks when most of the maps have more buildings than New York City.

There's this obscene focus on competitive that I don't understand. For whatever reason they're ignoring their core fan base, the casual players, pub stompers, weekend gamers, etc. and going for competitive and I really think it's drained on the fun factor…it's overly competitive at this point.

Clan wars is a joke. It's only there for MLG wannabes, and it screws over solo players.

So I really can't decide whether or not I love or hate this game yet...

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
the single player's….an improvement…I wouldn't call it amazing. The levels are still incredibly linear and the story's average at best and very predictable. But I wouldn't say it could stand up to BioShock or Deus Ex for story.
Funny. I felt like in Advanced Warfare, the levels seems a bit "open ended." It's linear to a point, like you can't really go outside of the [story] maps (and yes, I have tried), but you can use different kinds of routes to finish a campaign map, and I feel like the world that inhabits Advanced Warfare is alive, breathing, and real. It gave me a sense of feeling that this is the future. The Atlas lab, for example was so real, that it's a living world even though we're in the middle of a campaign story. I feel like Sledgehammer Games played Arkham City and was inspired by the way it was designed.
There's this obscene focus on competitive that I don't understand. For whatever reason they're ignoring their core fan base, the casual players, pub stompers, weekend gamers, etc. and going for competitive and I really think it's drained on the fun factor…it's overly competitive at this point.
I'm going to write an article about this on AWBlog, but this is entirely the whole Call of Duty community's fault.

Well that's what I mean, the linear levels get boring quickly. A lot of other shooters have moved away from this, I think CoD would be wise to as well. The story still needs some work, it's way too easy to predict what will happen.

Also, I'm disgusted that we don't have dedicated servers yet. We're on next gen now, the devs don't have an excuse anymore. If Battlefield can have dedicated servers with 64 people and destructible environments, I see no reason CoD can't with it's tiny maps and maximum 18 player count.

The spawns are garbage, worse than Ghosts and I didn't think that was possible.

And the hit detection is atrocious. I haven't been shot around this many corners since blops 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.