1. Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: WWII, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

My Opinion on the Call of Duty Franchise--What do you think??

Discussion in 'Upcoming Call of Duty' started by Cold Ransom, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Cold Ransom

Cold Ransom Recruit

What is up gamers, geeks, nerds, and often small children think they're NadeShot! Hey guys, Cold Ransom here today to give you guys my opinion on the Call of Duty Franchise as a whole. Now please do keep in mind that I am an avid player and lover of Call of Duty, so my opinion may seem somewhat biased, which is why I want feedback from the community!

Well first of all, let me answer the question: Is Call of Duty dying?
    The solid answer to this question is simply no. The Call of Duty community is growing now more than it ever has before due to Treyarch's involvement with the newest Call of Duty title: Black Ops III's eSports community.
    Treyarch made the announcement a few weeks back that they would be setting up the Call of Duty eSports World League which would consist of two sections--one for pro players and one for amature players--with a prize pool of over $4,000,000. Now, in the past, Call of Duty eSports have not shown as large of a payout as other big titles such as Counter Strike, but in 2016, Call of Duty eSports will have the Call of Duty World League along with the events that have always taken place in the past including GFinity, MLG, UMG, X Games, and much more including the Call of Duty Championships that will take place in the Fall of 2016. This new prize pool is a huge factor in the future growth of the community.

Now, to give my personal opinion on the actual "fun" and "wow" factor of the Call of Duty franchise.
    From Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and even in the past with CoD 2 and 3, the Call of Duty franchise has offered unique, exhilarating Campaign modes that hooked players and fans alike to create memorable moments and unique connections to the characters portrayed. Aside from campaign, it's safe to say Call of Duty is one of the--if not THE--most successful multiplayer titles on the Xbox and PlayStation. But why is the game so successful? The simple answer is because of a dedicated audience that enjoys playing the game and wants to grow their skill and be the best they can be.

Now, we have average Call of Duty players who play the game occasionally with their friends just for fun, and we have Professional Call of Duty players. These guys literally make their living playing Call of Duty, making videos about themselves and their teams, and grinding the game as much as they can to be the best. It's not only extremely exciting to watch these guy play--which creates a huge market for streaming the game--but it's extremely inspiring. For example:
    In Modern Warfare 3, when I started playing Call of Duty competitively, I watched a lot of OpTic NadeShot's videos because I found them really entertaining. Eventually, I would tune into his live stream every night and I'd check my sub box for his content daily because I felt like when I watched him play, I learned how to heighten my skills, making me a far better player! Eventually I was inspired to make a YouTube channel and play video games for an audience just like my idol, which is the reason I'm here with you guys today!

I hope you guys stuck around this long to read this, but remember--this is my personal opinion! I would love to know what you guys thoughts are too, so leave me a reply letting me know how you think Call of Duty is doing with their games and what you think the future looks like for them! :)

For more CoD info and gameplay check out my channel at https://YouTube.com/ColdRansom :)

2. Carlos

Carlos Owner
    Staff Member Private

Yes, and No.

Yes: Call of Duty has a large proverbial tree, that is full of bad apples. There are good players, and bad players. Then you have these people who exploit, cheat, lagswitch, or hack the game on a yearly, weekly, or daily basis. It's that bad. There has been this decline, and this decline will continue to drop unless Activision does something fast.

No: Call of Duty has always been a juggernaut in the world of First Person Shooters. Activision has always spent a lot of money on marketing. Activision with their 100 million dollar marketing budgets has made Call of Duty a killer brand. It's now mainstream than any other entertainment brand out there. Activision has a habit of reminding players, fans, and casuals that Call of Duty still exists.
    Yes, that will be one part of why this particular Call of Duty title will succeed, but as I outlined why it will succeed no matter what - it's a growing niche, and will continue until the next big franchise takes on Call of Duty directly.
    You're right, it's going to include more people than ever before. But at the same time, I also notice that, with the Fall 2016 date, I believe this is a marketing strategy for the next Call of Duty title from Infinity Ward, who is the next developer in the rotation.
    I disagree with that statement - well, that's part of the reason why it's remained successful, but the reason for the franchise being the most successful multiplayer title (ahem, series or franchise) is because Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare revolutionized multiplayer gaming as we know it. It brought an accessible, easy gameplay to the mainstream. In fact, Call of Duty pushed Video Games into the mainstream. How Activision maintained the popularity of the franchise is simple: Activision NEVER broke the formula started with COD4. Never. Some people might give Activision a lot of shit for not changing up the formula, but that'll just alienate the fanbase.

There's a saying, and it goes like this: "Don't fix what ain't broke."

But yeah, the fun factor, and the wow factor has aided much of Call of Duty's success, but the radical innovation of COD4 is what blew Call of Duty into the mainstream.

Cold Ransom likes this.
  3. Cold Ransom

Cold Ransom Recruit

Thanks so much for the reply! Definitely nice to see an educated opinion on Call of Duty! But the reason I stated that older players caught that "Wow" factor from the older games based on the real life events, was to point out some reasons why Call of Duty gets so much hate from some people. And this is only fact because I've talked to many people that would say they loved the old Call of Dutys because they felt like they were actually fighting for their country against real super powers that they'd already formed biases against. Although this is not the only objection to the new Call of Dutys, I think it's big for the older players :)

4. Carlos

Carlos Owner
    Staff Member Private

Actually, today's events - Yes, today's events are gearing towards fighting against super powers in any way means necessary, even if you have to join a PMC to do it. Some even say that joining a PMC is good, too. Because you don't have to adhere to military bullshit, and then you don't have to be constrained to a nation's protocol. For example; If you're a Marine, and you shot a arab woman for holding a baby, that turns out to be a bomb. A lot of people take stories out of context, so the U.S. gets a lot of political flack because it's the easiest thing to do. PMC's take that weight off their backs faster than you put out a Press Release saying that the baby turned out to be a bomb.

This is the world we live in right now. But there are political opponents that say that PMC's can get away with shit that the Navy, the Marine, the Army can't...

To learn more about this, here ya go:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEBBPeHpGss

And here's another one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LaSD8oFBZE

There's more in Advanced Warfare Forum. But the theories by the developers that make the Call of Duty titles are realistic in nature, and that's part of the "wow" factor in the first place.

Cold Ransom likes this.
  5. dannygreen

dannygreen Recruit