• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

New to Forum & COD

SFBGamer

Recruit
Hello readers,

In my early teen years I use to play Doom, Duke Nukem and other dial-up FPS of the time. Twenty plus years later, I have a teenage nephew who plays COD. I want to spend more time partaking in his interests and lend him a ear when needed. In doing so he has come over and visited and brought COD: Black Ops 2 and Ghost. I spent some time with him playing online and saw that he is a decent player. He has lead in frags at times but also had plenty of deaths in the ratio. He aspires to do better and could use a resource to learn how to improve. This why I am on the forum, to learn and share what I can with my nephew.

Have a nice day!

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I pretty much come from the same story. I started with games like Doom, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Duke Nukem, Turok, and so on and on. I eventually became a journalist, writing for websites here and there. I discovered Call of Duty during E32005 when Xbox 360 was revealed, and was impending a launch that year. Yep, it was at E32005 when I played Call of Duty 2 for the first time, but I was never really interested. Call of Duty 4 was released, much to a lot of fanfare, so much that eventually the "word of mouth" reached my brother who was visiting his friend and played COD4 for the first time. I'd already heard of it, but I'm like "meh." Then my brother starts talking about it with his friend. I went out the very next day, and bought it. I brought it home, and proceeded to play Online Multiplayer. I died constantly, but I started learning, and learning. 100,000 kills/deaths later, I still love it to this day.

No game could top it right now. I'm serious. Not a single game has topped it. MW2 followed the COD4 formula, but was plagued by glitches. I kept buying COD, wishing, hoping there would be a better game than COD4. Black Ops 2 was released, and became the very best Call of Duty title since COD4. Ghost was a piece of shit that should've never been released. It hurt the Call of Duty brand than anything. Advanced Warfare's good, but it doesn't even get any close to being as good as COD4.

Anyhow, welcome to CODForums! :)

What would you like to know about Call of Duty? Content Bunker has a thread designed just for you and your nephew. :D

SFBGamer

Recruit
Thank You for the welcoming, Carlos!

Sounds like you got back into FPS shooters at a good time. I had not realized how competitive FPS has become. Remember the days of COMit dialing up your friends home phone to connect to their modem for some multiplayer? Thank You for sharing some of your FPS history. The Older FPS nostalgia still holds good memories of those days in game and out of game with friends from back then.

Interesting enough about COD Ghost my nephew has the same sentiments. We had played some Black Ops 2 and I did find it much more entertaining. In my humble opinion, I believe it is the maps that made my experience better than Ghost. I will be purchasing a copy of Black Ops 2 so I can get some experience in to try to keep up with my nephew. He does well in that game. lol

My COD inquiries are around how to find legit multiplayer games. Multiplayer games without players who utilize AIM-Bot or other fps aids. I learned about this the other day as I swore I saw some strange frags on the replays. We want to find good resources to bump up his game and give me a good starting foundation. We also were interested in learning how legit clans structure and play in unison in given roles. We are also interested in where to find local competitions to spectate.

I searched for these via google but some results were vague. I decided it was best to come straight to the community and ask. I will check out the link you posted. Thank You!

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Thank You for the welcoming, Carlos!
No problemo! :)
Sounds like you got back into FPS shooters at a good time. I had not realized how competitive FPS has become. Remember the days of COMit dialing up your friends home phone to connect to their modem for some multiplayer? Thank You for sharing some of your FPS history. The Older FPS nostalgia still holds good memories of those days in game and out of game with friends from back then.
Today's competitive scene is not as vibrant as when COD4 was sweeping the market. The original Infinity Ward team took a risk, and it hit it on the bull's eye. I've never, in my 30 years of playing video games, seen such a crazy revolution that happened with COD4. Activision had a huge franchise in their hands. Breaking records year after year. The closest thing was either Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, or Grand Theft Auto.

I love the old FPS titles, but COD4 changed the way I saw FPS gaming. I never even realized you could ADS (Aim Down Sights), I found out around the 50k kill mark. I got better, and better at it.

Believe it or not: I never was able to play Online Multiplayer, not even in those days of Doom/Quake/Unreal. I started in 2007 with my PS3. I always thought that the only internet connection I could have is Internet Explorer, America Online, etc. I was all single player until PS3.

I only had dial-up or ADSL, now I can handle PS3, now PS4 games with broadband cable.

I did, however, enjoy Doom/Quake/Unreal. And that fucking GoldenEye multiplayer gaming.
Interesting enough about COD Ghost my nephew has the same sentiments. We had played some Black Ops 2 and I did find it much more entertaining. In my humble opinion, I believe it is the maps that made my experience better than Ghost. I will be purchasing a copy of Black Ops 2 so I can get some experience in to try to keep up with my nephew. He does well in that game. lol
It's not the maps that made the experience, bad... It's the glitches, the lag, the hit detection, just the whole experience - it sucked. Those times you were killed because there was stray ricochet, from out of nowhere - it's because the asshole on the other side is/was cheating. Don't get me started with the lag. Because some people won't believe me when I say there is a lot of lag in the game. You don't see it, but it's noticeable.

To me, Ghosts' maps reminded me of MW2 at some times. The current IW team still has that eye for detail, and I appreciate that. But the team needs to start stepping up their game with regards to the glitches, lag, and in-general cheating.
My COD inquiries are around how to find legit multiplayer games. Multiplayer games without players who utilize AIM-Bot or other fps aids. I learned about this the other day as I swore I saw some strange frags on the replays. We want to find good resources to bump up his game and give me a good starting foundation. We also were interested in learning how legit clans structure and play in unison in given roles. We are also interested in where to find local competitions to spectate.
It's - it's - unavoidable. The thing is this, players do things to their consoles or TV's to cheat, but is undetectable to the naked eye, which is why cheating in general has eluded Activision or any one of their development teams for about 10 years now. The hackers, the cheaters, and the lagswitchers, the AIM bots, the FPS aids are what's hurting the entire Call of Duty community, and the brand at the same time.

It's a glaring problem, that we, as players recognize, and are frustrated with. For many years, gamers have been telling Activision... "code a new engine from scratch." Thing is, Call of Duty is using the old Quake engine ...yes, the same engine from 1990's. The developers who code the game every year modify the engine year on year, based off of what the developer did in dev cycle.

Lagswitching is still a problem and is still a undetectable way to catch cheaters. Because it's not done by scripts. It's done by taking your cable connection, cutting up the cable, and putting a power switcher in between. That's why it's undetectable.
I searched for these via google but some results were vague. I decided it was best to come straight to the community and ask. I will check out the link you posted. Thank You!
You welcome! :)

SFBGamer

Recruit
"And that fucking GoldenEye multiplayer gaming."

Lol, I remember that game. I had a friend who would play it alot. It would frustate the hell out of him. I can't recall why though but i do remember the love hate relationship he had with Golden Eye.

It's not the maps that made the experience, bad... It's the glitches, the lag, the hit detection, just the whole experience - it sucked. Those times you were killed because there was stray ricochet, from out of nowhere - it's because the asshole on the other side is/was cheating. Don't get me started with the lag. Because some people won't believe me when I say there is a lot of lag in the game. You don't see it, but it's noticeable.

I did not play Ghost as much too get the impressions on its glitche gameplay. Although that sounds more reason I will stick with COD Black Ops 2 for now in this new school FPS learning curve.

It's - it's - unavoidable. The thing is this, players do things to their consoles or TV's to cheat, but is undetectable to the naked eye, which is why cheating in general has eluded Activision or any one of their development teams for about 10 years now. The hackers, the cheaters, and the lagswitchers, the AIM bots, the FPS aids are what's hurting the entire Call of Duty community, and the brand at the same time.

Yeah, that is an unfortunate problem. I saw a shot that looked like it come through a solid wall and picked off my nephew. The player made his way around the wall but his bullet made it through?

I have since looked at the whole connect by ip and patch your game for load outs and aim-bot. Evil controllers giving the user many aids to rapid fires and a steady aim and so on. The Scuf controllers did not bother me as much but I am a Street Fighter player and various design controllers are often used. As long as there is no clear input hack advantage aside from comfort.

Lagswitching is still a problem and is still a undetectable way to catch cheaters. Because it's not done by scripts. It's done by taking your cable connection, cutting up the cable, and putting a power switcher in between. That's why it's undetectable.

That was a new one for me Carlos. I watched a video on that after I read your post tonight. I saw people playing vanishing games on Black Ops. I knew it had to be someone manipulating lag. Although I was not sure how they could control the lag. I remember years ago on the duke test the 14.4 modems would cause lag on our 28.8 or some whom had 52K. Lag Switch, that is crazy and lame.

Thank you for all the insight!

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Lol, I remember that game. I had a friend who would play it alot. It would frustate the hell out of him. I can't recall why though but i do remember the love hate relationship he had with Golden Eye.
I loved GoldenEye, but I couldn't get over how hard it is to play against other players, or those pre-set CPU's.
I did not play Ghost as much too get the impressions on its glitche gameplay. Although that sounds more reason I will stick with COD Black Ops 2 for now in this new school FPS learning curve.
Yeah. Enjoy the game while you can, because BO3 is going to be huge in two weeks from now, and then into the launch of BO3. It's been a bit quiet, but that quietness was evident with Ghosts... However, this is Treyarch.
Yeah, that is an unfortunate problem. I saw a shot that looked like it come through a solid wall and picked off my nephew. The player made his way around the wall but his bullet made it through?
That's just one of the many glitches or exploits of the IW(X) engine (modified Quake engine). In general, Infinity Ward's current team, doesn't seem to get what players want. The maps were fine, it's just that current IW folks need to find a healthy balance between big maps, and small maps. For example, there isn't a lot of maps that gives that COD4 gameplay fun. The only time they corrected this problem was when they released new DLC's with remakes of COD's most famous maps. For example, in Ghosts' Nemesis DLC, they included "Showtime," which is a remake of Shipment from COD4...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_7NComz-o8
I have since looked at the whole connect by ip and patch your game for load outs and aim-bot. Evil controllers giving the user many aids to rapid fires and a steady aim and so on. The Scuf controllers did not bother me as much but I am a Street Fighter player and various design controllers are often used. As long as there is no clear input hack advantage aside from comfort.
That's one of the hacks that is usually available, you'll find more hacks, tho. Like the Superman hack, the unlimited ammos hack, the speed hack, and so on and on. Turbo controllers isn't really noticeable, because we already get "rapid fire" via normal controllers, then they introduced rapid fire (as a perk) starting with MW2. Evil Controllers, Scuf controllers don't really bother me as much, too... I'm just saying that there are many aids that help players do one thing better, like steady aim "all the time." When in fact, starting with MW2, they implemented aim assist. I mean, the playerbase is sometimes smart, but at other times, you'll find idiots who have no common sense whatsoever.
That was a new one for me Carlos. I watched a video on that after I read your post tonight. I saw people playing vanishing games on Black Ops. I knew it had to be someone manipulating lag. Although I was not sure how they could control the lag. I remember years ago on the duke test the 14.4 modems would cause lag on our 28.8 or some whom had 52K. Lag Switch, that is crazy and lame.

Thank you for all the insight!
That has been going on since COD4. They've managed to create code that prevent these lagswithers have their day in COD, but those lagswitchers do get into matches, and lagswitch - it's not as bad as it was back in 2008/9, but it's noticeable if you pay attention. If you know what to look for.