• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Nvidia Legacy Graphics Card

Yankee_LT

Recruit
Can someone point me in the right direction (I'm located in America) besides Best Buy that never has these products in stock where I can purchase an Nvidia Legacy graphics card?

Thank you.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Can someone point me in the right direction (I'm located in America) besides Best Buy that never has these products in stock where I can purchase an Nvidia Legacy graphics card?

Thank you.
Do you have a Micro Center in your area? I've been hearing good things about them. They're basically a replacement for recent shut downs like Fry's Electronics, and soon Best Buy.

Here's a video if you're interested...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVAJSPSzFn0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGHE8n6Vi4k

Yankee_LT

Recruit
A "Legacy" card is a pure Nvidia graphics card. Meaning Nvidia makes it. All the other cards are based on the Nvidia design.

There is a Micro Center, but they don't carry the Legacy card. The only place you can buy one without the "After Market" price would be Best Buy, and they have been out of stock for well over one year.

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
A "Legacy" card is a pure Nvidia graphics card. Meaning Nvidia makes it. All the other cards are based on the Nvidia design.

There is a Micro Center, but they don't carry the Legacy card. The only place you can buy one without the "After Market" price would be Best Buy, and they have been out of stock for well over one year.
Ahh... got you.

I was confused by your use of the word legacy, I have always used legacy as meaning previous generation and further back, so when SATA replaced PATA, PATA became the legacy technology.

The 'Pure' nVidia graphics card following the original design specs of the card in question are usually called reference designs by reviewers. Further to that, the non-reference designs are called custom designs, but then nVidia then decided to add a new form to the mix when they added Founder's Edition cards.

So, the way I understand the market, nVidia create the reference designs and then the add in board partners (AIBs) can also make cards based on the reference design as well as custom designs, then with the GTX 1000 series nVidia brought in the Founders Edition cards were made by nVidia at higher price than AIB partners were given as target MSRP prices to allow the AIBs to compete without fear of being undercut by nVidia.

To add another layer of confusion some custom cards only offer custom cooling solutions but still use the original custom reference board designs, like the board in my custom GPU, and the main reason that someone might want a reference design is so that they can change the cards originial cooler with their choice of third party board cooling solution such as water blocks or custom AIO blocks.

Hopefully, these videos will explain things better than I have.

Yankee_LT

Recruit
Founders Edition is the correct name. I always get it mixed up with Legacy because I think they mean the same thing.