• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

OK This Is Not Going To Be Popular....

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
But I just gotta vent...

Seeing all this illegal drugs Calling Cards and such just rubs the LEO in me the wrong way...

I mean, there is a reason that CIVILIZED nations have banned the marketing of cigarettes and tobacco to children... Yes, the same addictive and cancer-causing issues that are with cigarettes are a problem with smoking marijuana as well..

What's next??? Have calling cards with shooting up heroin and the like??? I mean, talk about toxicity???

And, oh yea.. You goddamn kids stay off my lawn!!! :D

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
In the U.S. most drugs are not legalized, or straight-up banned. Heroin is not even marketed here. However, cigarettes and weed are marketed. Weed is legalized in a few states, and others oppose it unless it is medical. You can smoke weed recreationally, or for medical reasons, other than that.. if you sell for purposes of profit, then police arrest you for possession of Marijuana. It sounds backwards, but they want you to assume responsibility.

The reason why the calling cards are there is for kids who smoke weed or for people who smoke. For another example, Solid Snake smokes cigarettes. This is not really marketing, its part of the character of Snake.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Everything you say is logical and rational...

I understand WHY TPTB want to market it to kids.. More $$$ for them...

It just rubs the old school cop in me the wrong way...

Especially when the lil' stoners shoot me.. :D Heh

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
Eminem rapped about rappers making money by talking about guns, saying it didn't mean they carry guns, it was just a topic that would affect their sales.

Weed is becoming the same thing for this generation, even people that don't smoke it, know what it is, and what it looks like and smells like. It is a trending topic, and as a trending topic, it means there is a market for people that want to join in with the weed fashions. T-shirts, bandanas, caps, socks, pipes, grinders, and more.

I worry about this sort of thing myself, in the 60's smoking weed was very different to what it is now, weed had a sedative effect, musicians would use it to calm their nerves. Now it has medicinal uses that can calm nerves, sooth pain, and assist with a number of other medical issues with oils etc...

Whereas modern weed is being turned into something else, it is being enhanced for more psychotropic effects, and is now more of an intoxicant and less of a sedative.

I would hate for my children to be getting in to that scene, as I worry about the long term affects on their physical health, but more importantly, I am worried about the effects on their mental and emotional health.

Not to mention how getting caught and prosecuted for possession might impact their future careers and prospects.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
This may delve a bit into political issues.. Fair Warning..

Eminem rapped about rappers making money by talking about guns, saying it didn't mean they carry guns, it was just a topic that would affect their sales.

A case can be made for this.. It's like seeing Action Stars pontificating an Anti-Gun message, while at the same time, making their boo-koo bucks by glorifying gun violence..

Robin Williams ridiculed an Anti-Drug PSA from Motley Crue... Same concept..

Weed is becoming the same thing for this generation, even people that don't smoke it, know what it is, and what it looks like and smells like. It is a trending topic, and as a trending topic, it means there is a market for people that want to join in with the weed fashions. T-shirts, bandanas, caps, socks, pipes, grinders, and more.

Yea and again, the hypocrisy is what gets me vis a vis Activision's "Anti-Toxicity" campaign.. It's blatantly hypocritical to, on the one hand whine and complain about "toxicity" and then, on the other hand advocate and glorify illegal drug use among children..

I worry about this sort of thing myself, in the 60's smoking weed was very different to what it is now, weed had a sedative effect, musicians would use it to calm their nerves. Now it has medicinal uses that can calm nerves, sooth pain, and assist with a number of other medical issues with oils etc...

Whereas modern weed is being turned into something else, it is being enhanced for more psychotropic effects, and is now more of an intoxicant and less of a sedative.

I would hate for my children to be getting in to that scene, as I worry about the long term affects on their physical health, but more importantly, I am worried about the effects on their mental and emotional health.

Not to mention how getting caught and prosecuted for possession might impact their future careers and prospects.

My marijuana issues have evolved considerably since my patrol days.. Most of that comes from having a grandson with epilepsy and THC helping him with the worst of the effects...

And, as Carlos pointed out some of the operators have smoking embedded in their character...

I guess the main point is the one I made initially..

Most civilized nations have laws and rules against marketing cigarettes to children, even though cigarettes are legal... I see the kind of Gamer Banners that glorify pot use and just have to shake my head... How many kids are going to experience the detrimental effects that you worry for your children, because of how they perceived it to be "so cool" in Modern Warfare??

I mean... Com'on!!

maxresdefault.jpg

"Good talk.."
-Dr Rodney McKay, STARGATE ATLANTIS, McKay & Mrs Miller

PeterPan1

Recruit
woaw, I figured there was like one or so of them ^^

in my perspective the problem is jumping on those marketing trains alltogether. Thus capitalism.