• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Open ends in the modern warfare series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reminiscing the other day and decided I would play through the modern warfare series campaign again. Brought back childhood memories. Anyways, I got to thinking about all the open-ended stories in the game series. MW1 was great, they made sure there was no loose ends, every main character who was included in the game was either dead or was shown in MW2. MW2 came, the best call of duty in my opinion. Anyways, back on track, the first loose ends in the series began with this game. After the "whiskey hotel" mission where you retake the white house, the rangers talk about when they are going to Moscow. Sgt. Foley says "when the time is right". There was never anything mentioned about them again. What happened to them? Why aren't they in MW3? Why did IW not tie up loose ends? Anyways, so we all thought that MW3's story would have included the American invasion of Russia and the destruction of Moscow. Then IW came out with it, nothing. Nothing from the rangers, nothing about the Americans invading Russia. MW3 ends, we don't hear anything from them, we never make it to Moscow that we know of. Then there's the story of Frost. What happened to Frost, why isn't he showed anywhere else once you play as him the last time? Why didn't he go on the mission to rescue the president? Did he die? Who knows. IW doesn't tell us, which brings me to my last point, does anyone think there will ever be a sequel to MW3 that ties up these loose ends? I would love to see it in my opinion. This is open to speculation about what happened to all of these storylines as well.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I was reminiscing the other day and decided I would play through the modern warfare series campaign again. Brought back childhood memories. Anyways, I got to thinking about all the open-ended stories in the game series. MW1 was great, they made sure there was no loose ends, every main character who was included in the game was either dead or was shown in MW2. MW2 came, the best call of duty in my opinion. Anyways, back on track, the first loose ends in the series began with this game. After the "whiskey hotel" mission where you retake the white house, the rangers talk about when they are going to Moscow. Sgt. Foley says "when the time is right". There was never anything mentioned about them again. What happened to them? Why aren't they in MW3? Why did IW not tie up loose ends? Anyways, so we all thought that MW3's story would have included the American invasion of Russia and the destruction of Moscow. Then IW came out with it, nothing. Nothing from the rangers, nothing about the Americans invading Russia. MW3 ends, we don't hear anything from them, we never make it to Moscow that we know of. Then there's the story of Frost. What happened to Frost, why isn't he showed anywhere else once you play as him the last time? Why didn't he go on the mission to rescue the president? Did he die? Who knows. IW doesn't tell us, which brings me to my last point, does anyone think there will ever be a sequel to MW3 that ties up these loose ends? I would love to see it in my opinion. This is open to speculation about what happened to all of these storylines as well.
"When the time is right," refers to Killing Makarov, which you actually do in MW3. We didn't go to Moscow because we fought against them on American soil, and already killed the terrorist that invaded the U.S. in MW2. As far as the rest of the world knows, Russia had nothing to do with the invasion, or made a treaty to make sure it never happens again.

Modern Warfare 2's development was abruptly interrupted by the infighting between Activision staff, and the Infinity Ward staff, which led to the firing of key members of the Infinity Ward team - Zampella and West. Most of the staff followed suit by quitting the company, and suing Activision for breach of contract(s) because Activision withheld millions from IW. Zampella and West formed Respawn, and some members of the original MW1/2 team joined the company. Their first game? TitanFall.

Modern Warfare 4 was actually pitched to Activision, but was shot down immediately, and whoever was pitcing it was fired. The project became known as Advanced Warfare, developed by Sledgehammer Games, comprised of Dead Space devs.

However, it has been 3 attempts by Activision to build a new sub-series (Ghosts, Advanced Warfare, and Infinite Warfare), so rumor is Activision is considering releasing Modern Warfare 4.

Toxic34

Recruit
If an MW4 has been withheld and could be released, and it does happen, then I feel that Ghosts 2 and AW2 should then proceed in order to do right by the fans of those series. Much like how I wish Human Head's Prey 2 could see release in some form. Basically, if an MW4 does come out, it sets a precedent that Activision, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer should then follow to resume those storylines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements