• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

PNY XLR8 Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 & RTX 3090 EPIC-X RGB Revel

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
So, as you can probably tell from the title, this thread is about the PNY XLR8 Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 & RTX 3090 EPIC-X RGB Revel, or more specifically my new RTX 3080 card.

Long story short, I was able to get this GPU for £891 when it is still being listed with prices starting from £1250, so pleased with that result, installed it and started testing with GTA-V as I like the detailed results that the in game benchmark generates, so when I found out that I might have been able to get this card I benchmarked my RTX 2070 Super so I could compare old to new, but the results have left me feeling confused.

I tabulated my results, working out the differences as a percentage expecting to see gains across the Min, Max, and AVG FPS, but instead I got something unexpected.

Min​
Max​
Avg​
Pass 0
138.29%91.92%
Pass 17.45%113.28%126.38%
Pass 2-66.51%50.82%97.86%
Pass 3-50.56%27.79%96.89%
Pass 4-31.7760.96%89.60%

As you can see my max scores and avg scores are up, but what I don't get is why my min scores have dropped so much, in pass 1 they dropped from 22.714fps to 4.382fps.

Does that look normal? I don't really know what to think here. I have used DDU to remove drivers and then reinstall fresh drivers.

So, my plan is, run through driver settings and take out stuff like V-Sync, turn off G-Sync, reset PC and test again, does anyone have any other ideas?

KeyboardDemon

Right, so after some fine tuning in the Control Panel I have managed to improve my results, this is what it looks like now.

Min Difference %Max Difference %Avg Difference %
Pass 0-28.68110.1997.12
Pass 171.96130.48136.26
Pass 2155.41-29.60102.41
Pass 3146.6435.02100.03
Pass 4221.8854.4794.51

So now I have gone from 4 red score down to 1, which I am happier with, even though that means in Pass 3, where my 2070S managed 188.523 fps, I am now only getting 132.717 on the 3080 even though I did manage to get 284.325 on a previous run with this card.

I am hoping to get some time to try some Cold War tomorrow to see how that plays, still waiting for the 62GB update to finish.

KeyboardDemon

After some testing I found that I am getting lower frame rates with my 3080 than I was getting with my 2070S. Though gameplay felt smoother.

My 2070S was usually above 170fps and often over 200fps, now I not seeing frame rates above 200fps and usually see it sitting around mid 100s.

I'll have to check my PC's BIOS after work tonight to see how my PCIe is set, it could just be a configuration issue. It might be worth doing a CMOS reset and then reconfigure BIOS.

I will be very curious to hear if your gameplay was affected as mine was....
I did see a massive improvement when I went from my GTX 980 to my RTX 2070S, and that was in MW.

KeyboardDemon

A quick update on my new GPU saga, first as we know, highly optimized and well written games like CoD Black Ops Cold War are usually trouble free for nearly all players (yeeeaaaahhhh... riiiighhhhhttt!!), it seems that enough people are having this issue that nVidia are working with the devs to try and help fix it.

I tried playing a bit of Control today (courtesy of Epic Games who gave it away no too long ago) and with everything max at 2560x1440 and Ray Tracing on, I was hitting from 69fps to 88fps, so pretty good results with that game.

It does look like my CoD issues are down to the software and not my new GPU.