• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Proud Owner ASUS ROG STRIX Z490E 10th/11th Gen Gaming MB

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
New (used) MB arrived today.. Was able to clean up the traces real well...

STRIX2.jpg

I did the BIOS Flash Back but the results were inconclusive.. The FlashBack LED would rapid blink if I held the FB Button, but would be steady after I released the FB Button..

Now I am faced with a dilemma...

Should I get the lowest (IE) cheapest CPU possible just to make sure the MB works??

Or should I get the best CPU I can and hope the MB works??

I just sold my existing MB/CPU for $225... I know, I know.. It's a gamble..

Here's how I see my way forward...

I can get a Core i3 10400 for around 80-90 bucks. It would still be a step up from what I got, but not the best I could get... If the MB I have IS totally bad, I would still have enough money to get a 10th GEN MB to go with the Core i3 I just bought...

OR....

Or I can go for broke and blow the entire $225 on a Core i5 11600K 11th Generation - 6 Core - 12 Thread - 3.9 to 4.9 GHz - LGA1200 - Unlocked Desktop Processor... The upside to this is, if the MB works, I am rocking a top of the line gamer!!

The downside is, I could end with a rocking 11th GEN CPU but then have to wait weeks to get a compatible 11th GEN MB....

I am feeling lucky as my lucky number is '2' and today is TWOSday, 02-22-2022.... :D So I am kinda leaning towards going for broke and getting the 11th Gen core i5 CPU...

I should also note, that the guy I got the MB from tested with a 10th Gen CPU... Maybe the MB was already flashed with an 11th GEN CPU BIOS...

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
If the guy that sold you the mobo is a friend, ask to borrow his CPU.

If not, go for broke and then worse case scenario is you hold that it until you can get hold of a suitable mobo.

CPU prices tend to be stable after a new CPU comes out, but mobo prices tend to come down after a short while.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
If the guy that sold you the mobo is a friend, ask to borrow his CPU.

Naw, just some bloke off of EBAY...

If not, go for broke and then worse case scenario is you hold that it until you can get hold of a suitable mobo.

CPU prices tend to be stable after a new CPU comes out, but mobo prices tend to come down after a short while.

Yea, that's my thinking as well.. Get the MAX CPU I can and hope for the best..

Really pumped about this... An 11th Gen Gamer!!!! :D

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
I just bought a asus strix b660a and a 12700, only too see my gpu 980ti is a huge botttleneck.
But with these prices for decent gpu i mayby has too wait a while

Depending on what your finances look like, you might explore an RTO option..

There was no way in hell I was ever going to be able to get a high end RTX without the RTO....

I lucked out as I will be able to buy out my contract with my tax refund, so I ended up paying close to retail...

But if you can afford the weekly payments, RTO might be the way to go...

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Well... Good news and bad news..

Bad news is... MB is as dead as doornail.. The RGB LEDs come on when the PSU is turned on, but absolutely NOTHING with the power applied... So, it's a bust.. :(

Good news... IT'S STILL UNDER WARRANTY!!! :D

Not sure if the problem (PCI-E Plastic Connector ripped off) is going to fly, but there's a chance.. :D

So, not the best news possible, but still...

I'll be looking for replacements.. Just in case the "warranty" repair is more than I hope..

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
They might charge you for a repair, but usually warranty ends when the mobo if sold on as pre-owned, IIRC.

It's been my experience with tech that warranties last a set amount of time regardless of who owns them.. I know that's the case with Hard Drives..

And, considering the damage to this MB, I don't expect too much of a break repairing it.. It's just going to be a question of if the repair cost exceeds the cost of simply buying a different one..

11th Gen MB are still pretty spendy...