• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Angels of Death

Raven Shield Veteran, Modern Warfare Noob

I cut my teeth on Raven Shield.. This is my first foray into FPS MP since those heady days.. :D

I am going to have a lot of questions down the road, but let me start off with this one..

I keep getting my ass kicked. :D

I usually play exclusively Team Death Match and am fairly decent in the "Overwatch" role. IE Camping..

I simply can't hang when it comes Run n Gun...

I am on a PC (Core i7, 16GB RAM, Nvidia 1050ti video) and have always felt that ( at least for me) a mouse and keyboard is infinitely more responsive...

And yet, when it comes to face to face matchups, I invariably have my ass handed to me.. Nearly EVERY time..

Assuming I am not just a lousy player (which is not exactly an irrational assumption. :D) what other factors are in play??

Could bandwidth be a factor?? I usually have a <58 ish MS PING.. I get a <25 ping at work and I am a bit better, but still lose the 1v1 contests..

What about video settings?? I push my 1050ti to the max to get the most eye candy... If I were to accept a rougher resolution, would that increase my reaction time??

Any hints and tips would be most appreciate..

Angels of Death

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I cut my teeth on Raven Shield.. This is my first foray into FPS MP since those heady days.. :D

I am going to have a lot of questions down the road, but let me start off with this one..

I keep getting my ass kicked. :D

I usually play exclusively Team Death Match and am fairly decent in the "Overwatch" role. IE Camping..

I simply can't hang when it comes Run n Gun...
Call of Duty and Overwatch are different beasts. I have not played Overwatch, but I know what it is and what kind of gameplay it is. It's a team based game, where you're chaining your attacks together to win a game. It doesn't work like that in Call of Duty. Everyone is off to doing their own things in Call of Duty. I'm sorry, but they are a bunch of headless chickens. I was playing Search and Destroy yesterday, and I pointed out where someone is... nobody listened to me, and LOST.

I am a run-and-gunner. It really does take a lot of practice to know how to play the game. So, keep doing that. However, I remiss if I don't mention it: Deck out your weapons. What I mean is, other than just selecting your weapon(s), your equipment, and your perk(s)... Start adding attachments to your weapon. You get them by ranking up, or unlocking them by doing challenges, choose your best medicine. Because in THIS particular Call of Duty title, customization is the key. They upgrade your gameplay ten-fold. In the past, we were locked to a pre-set, we were locked to just one attachment per weapon, and so on. They work, but 2019's Modern Warfare is brilliant in this aspect. It destroys the legendary Pick 10 system.

The problem is the game's woes.
I am on a PC (Core i7, 16GB RAM, Nvidia 1050ti video) and have always felt that ( at least for me) a mouse and keyboard is infinitely more responsive...
Awesome rig you got there! :D And you're correct, they are responsive. That is the only advantage you guys have over us. You can put your game's sensitivity high, and you'd move your cursor (ahem, your aim) quickly, and fast enough to react. Your rig is powerful, but your connection needs to be top notch.
And yet, when it comes to face to face matchups, I invariably have my ass handed to me.. Nearly EVERY time..

Assuming I am not just a lousy player (which is not exactly an irrational assumption. :D) what other factors are in play??
I'm not saying all of them is what you experienced, but there are a lot of factors:
- Lag
- Hit Detection not working
- Cheating/Cheater (yes, it now exists, the engine is about 20 years old - it's using the Quake 3 engine)
- Lagswitching (falls under lag, but this is different, this is as simple as taking your coax cable connected to your internet, opening it up, and connecting to your switch box - you control it flicking it on and off)
- Glitches
Could bandwidth be a factor?? I usually have a <58 ish MS PING.. I get a <25 ping at work and I am a bit better, but still lose the 1v1 contests..
Assuming you're not using aim-assist (suggestion: don't.), you're not aiming at the person correctly. Aim for the chest, and/or head. 2v2 is good, but you need to be really good at aiming to win those fights. Regular multiplayer is easier if you know where to go.

It's not always better to have better ping, what matters more is what is your download/upload like at home, and at work...? Here's mine:
CarlosCurrentSpeedJan2020.png
What about video settings?? I push my 1050ti to the max to get the most eye candy... If I were to accept a rougher resolution, would that increase my reaction time??

Any hints and tips would be most appreciate..
I'm not sure how powerful the 1050ti is, but if you can push your graphics up and handle 60fps without melting your cooling fan, that'd be great. But if you can't, just focus on the 60fps thing. Because the higher the sensitivity you push on your machine, the hotter your machine is.

It's not always about eye candy, it's about how fast your computer can put up with the "shits and giggles." If you know what I mean...

I never thanked you for this VERY informative reply....

So.. Thank you very much.. :D

I have found that my choice of weapons was a BIG factor.. My standard loadout was a M203 equipped M14A...

I found my inner Jack Oneill and started using the P90 and I was amazed at the difference.. Not only could I run faster but my weapon was easier to control and stay on target... I still lose in the sudden head to head match ups, but I get a lot more kills in the distance (6ft +) match ups..

Oh, and 'Overwatch'?? That's tag name, not the game I play.. Many MANY moons ago, I was a sniper with the USAF TNT (Tactical Neutralization Team) so I adopted that as my tag name.. :D

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Oh, and 'Overwatch'?? That's tag name, not the game I play.. Many MANY moons ago, I was a sniper with the USAF TNT (Tactical Neutralization Team) so I adopted that as my tag name.. :D
Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought you were talking about the game, rather than your position ("overwatch" which is a sniper position).