• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

RTX Musings..

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
OK A couple of first thoughts..

I have to say, my first impression was... "eeehh"

I have played 2 PLUNDER matches... The only kills I got were in the warmup round of the first match.. Definitely improved.. 6 or 7 where I normally get 0-2... My aim is better and one shot kills with my sniper rifle are the norm.. So from that small sample, it looks good..

The graphics are good but not as good as I would have thought... That could be a lack of a decent monitor, but I expected to be blown away... The lobby graphics are kinda blurry.. Not real sharp..

WZ-Lobby.jpg

Just as I expected to be blown away by my FPS, but wasn't.. With the GTX, I had 60-ish... With the RTX I get 80ish..

I am thinking (ie PRAYING) that it's a Settings issue..

Here are my settings:

WZ-GFX-1.jpg
WZ-GFX-2.jpg
WZ-GFX-3.jpg
WZ-GFX-4.jpg

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
I was expecting to see fps numbers above 100 from an RTX 3060 Ti, that's something that an RTX 2070 Super was able to achieve, and your new card should outperform it.

Try the suggested settings from GeForce Experience or try dropping all of your high settings to medium to see if that gives you some gains.

If you're still struggling to see the expected performance then you have a few options left:

- Use DDU to fully remove the GPU drivers in Windows Safe mode and then reinstall fresh drivers
- Check for latest mobo drivers through manufacturer's website in case a newer chipset driver might address your issues (this is what worked for my PC)
- Try older GPU drivers (it sometimes works)

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Thanx.. I was thinking a fresh manual install of the drivers would be my next step..

Played another round.. Combat is definitely better.. I have better aim and it's easier to stay on target.. Took on a team of 3 and pretty much held my own...

Some other things I thought would be fixed but didn't..

The annoying feature of having all the LZs and cash boxes visible is still there..

The WarTracks that didn't play with the GTX, but DID play with the 2080 I borrowed from a friend are not playing with this RTX..

So far, that's what I have..

Gonna try the driver install..

Thanx again..

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
I noticed that GEForce Experience recommends to disable DLSS... I thought DLSS was like the second coming or something like that... Big..

WZ-GFX-Settings.jpg

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
OK Played another round with the OPTIMIZED settings..

Graphics were noticeably better, but not by much.. FPS was the same, maybe even a skosh lower...

Gonna try the fresh manual install now..

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
OK This is kinda weird..

My current NVIDIA Driver (Installed by GEForce Experience) was v469.49 dated 10/20/21

The new NVIDIA Driver is v472.12 but has an EARLIER date of 9/30/21

Anyways, I installed the latest driver.. Doing a test run now..

KeyboardDemon

Use DDU before making driver changes.

I'm using my phone, so I can't post links for some reason, but DDU stands for Display Driver Uninstaller.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Yea, think I have it..

I put down all the settings one step from HIGH to MED and from ULTRA to HIGH... Everything that can be dropped, graphics wise, was..

I only gained about 5 extra FPS... I just got drivers for my chip set and going to see if that helps..

I gotta get ready for work, so it will be in a bit..

Thanx again for the assist...

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Do you (or does anyone) recommend a good Driver Update program??

I have always been wary of those kinds of programs as I view them as just clutter trying to sell me one.. Plus I have never really had any need to be anal about my drivers...

No I do.. :D Can ya recomend one that is good and REALLY free???

KeyboardDemon

If it puts your mind at rest, my RTX 3080 was performing worse than my RTX 2070 Super when I first got it, it was only after my fully fresh install of divers and chips drivers that my performance increased in games. Strangely, my better gaming performance was not well reflected in my benchmark scores, which dropped by around 8%.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
If it puts your mind at rest, my RTX 3080 was performing worse than my RTX 2070 Super when I first got it, it was only after my fully fresh install of divers and chips drivers that my performance increased in games. Strangely, my better gaming performance was not well reflected in my benchmark scores, which dropped by around 8%.

So I am thinking maybe my expectations were too high...

KeyboardDemon

Do you (or does anyone) recommend a good Driver Update program??
I've never used one, the drivers that need the most frequent updates have enough support to indicate when new drivers need installing, ie your graphics drivers through GeForce Experience.

nVidia put new drivers out once or twice a month, so even without updates, you could just check every couple of weeks.

Windows gets updated frequently, but optional updates need to be updated from time to time. I check for Windows updates on Wednesdays as Microsoft tends to launch updates on Tuesdays.

Most motherboards will get a few updates for chipsets over the first few years from launch, but AMD and Intel will continue to update chipset drivers for longer. Check to see if there is a chipset utility that checks, AMD has one for their chipsets.

I prefer not to have a program that runs every time I start my PC, taking to resources and slowing down my startup times, just for the benefit of saving me a few minutes of checking drivers, which other than Windows updates, I only really check when I have an issue.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
I prefer not to have a program that runs every time I start my PC, taking to resources and slowing down my startup times, just for the benefit of saving me a few minutes of checking drivers, which other than Windows updates, I only really check when I have an issue.
Yea, that's my feeling as well.. The less clutter and drain on resources, the better...

But I realized as I was searching that it's something I can use at work as well when I have wanky PCs that have driver issues.. As I do this weekend.. :D

I'm heading to work now.. I'll be able to jump on this when I get home, around 1730 EST...

Thanx again..

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer

I have an i7-3930k and an RTX 3070. Should I upgrade my CPU?

renderTimingPixel.png

Title.
Mobo I’m using is sabretooth x79
I’m having some trouble justifying a cpu/RAM upgrade. Right now I mainly game at 1080p or 1440/4K on my tv.
At 1080p, the games I’m playing cap out around 120-170 FPS and I game on a 144hz monitor.
When I first got my 3070 I was somewhat disappointed in the performance. I thought I’d be getting higher framerates and drastically improved performance over my 970.
When I run games, I notice my CPU sometimes hits about 70c and 70-80% utilization, but it never maxes at 100%. It seems like my 3930k still has signs of life.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/jq4twd/i_have_an_i73930k_and_an_rtx_3070_should_i/

KeyboardDemon

I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get an average of 100-120fps at 1080*1920 with your setup, but you should get better performance with an upgrade.

If you do updrage and decide to stay with Intel, then don't buy anything other then 12th gen with DDR4 ram.

Don't go for the absolute best mobo and ram though, DDR5 will get faster and cheaper over time. Right now the faster transfer speeds on DDR5 and the higher latency make the advantage of DDR5 less noticeable in games. Plan your build around leaving scope to swap out temporary parts for more permanent parts later. Better still, wait until after the holiday season to see what AMD has to offer with their new CPUs which are expected soon. This might have the effect of forcing Intel to respond with price cuts, new SKUs, or some sort of incentive at the time, which will give you more choice.

Look at the 12th gen coverage on Hardware Unboxed's YouTube channel to find out where they see Intel's strengths and what pitfalls to avoid when building a 12th CPU now.

The 12th gen Intel i7 processors are by far the most exciting products to launch since the 6th gen, now is a good time to start planning for a new build, I think Feb-Mar would be the best time to start buying the parts to build it.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Yea, I probably shot my wad ($$$ wise) with the RTX... Unless there is a lottery win in my near future, I am probably stuck with the hardware I have...

freakdaddy64

Recruit
go to youtube and watch some videos of 3060 ti in game and you will get a good idea of what you should be getting. whats the rest of your pc specs.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements