• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

ryzen processors

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
would it be worth the money to go from ryzen 5 3600 to ryzen 7 5800x?
Either go for the 5900X or stay put, the 5800X is a bit of a halfway measure, and is overpriced for the performance gains you get over a 5600X while the price difference between a 5800X and 5900X is not as big.

The main reason for this is how the CPUs are made, Ryzen builds cores onto a CCXs (Core Complex) and a single CCX can be made with upto 8 cores.

If any of the cores on a CCX are found to be defective they can be disabled and depending on how many cores a disabled you can use that CCX to put into a single CCX CPU like a Ryzen 3 or Ryzen 5, this allows AMD to recover parts that might otherwise end up being scrapped.

A Ryzen 7 5800X has 8 cores and uses just 1 CCX so all 8 cores have to be perfect, meaning it has ended costing 1.5x the price of the 5600X which launched at $300, making the 5800X's MSRP $450 or $56.25 per core, while the $550 Ryzen 9 5900X works out to $45.75 per core and this uses 2 CCX's with 6 cores on each.

So, if you're going to spend $450, find the extra $100 and get a much better CPU IMHO.

KeyboardDemon

I would wait, you have a mighty powerful PC as it is.

Given the current state of affairs, be happy that you were able to get that before the brown stuff ended up all over the fan.

I don't think the situation with components will improve before Fall.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
i agree if anything im still thinking about a ssd m.2, do you having any temp issues being that it sits on top of graphics card.

KeyboardDemon

I haven't been monitoring my SSD temps, mine is not a high performance SSD so I don't think temps would be an issue.

Also my GPU temps are good and the m.2 slot gets plenty of air flow so I don't think I need to worry about heat from my 2070 Super causing my SSD to overheat.

In terms of getting an m.2 SSD, have you looked at the performance gains you should expect over your current drive?

Google Seagate FireCuda Vs the m.2 drive you're thinking of getting, I think you and I looked at this and didn't really see the performance gains I thought you should expect.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
From what I'm reading I should stay where I'm at the hybrid drive has the storage and has the speed and basically is middle of the road I'm still researching I'd like to have the Seagate fire cuda 2 TB m.2 and then I'll have my one terabyte hybrid for storage

freakdaddy64

Recruit
I'd like to have the m.2 2 terabyte on the motherboard for boot drive and my games and the hybrid drive keep it for storage

freakdaddy64

Recruit
if i was to get one is it easy to clone from old to new,i read wd doesnt have a specific software to do it like seagate does.

KeyboardDemon

I have the 1TB version of that drive, if I install a game on that, it does load faster than it does when installed on my SATA SSD drive, my 1TB drive was about the same price or just a little bit more than a mid-range SATA drive.

An m.2 drive is a lot neater, it attaches directly to your mobo so there are no cables to manage and as it is connected directly it offers faster transfer speeds to and from the drive. I think the sweet spot for these is still at the 1TB mark, you can get a 2TB SATA drive for a little bit more than the price a 1TB m.2 drive, but paying more than double the price to get just twice the capacity doesn't sound like a value option to me.

But value is a subjective term, it is entirely possible that you could replace your other drive and run with the single 2TB m.2 drive, or use the SSHD that you already have just for data, pictures and video files.

I don't think you would regret buying the drive and I think you would enjoy the cable free installation of that unit. I know I do, my only concern when I bought it was the blue would clash with my colour scheme, but my drive blends so well with my build and as it is sitting between my GPU and CPU heatsink it is quite hard to see the drive anyway.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
ok im leaning towards getting it and instead of cloning im thinking a fresh install of everything i have been looking into the cloning and doesnt seem to be to difficult but can take a few hours to fininsh so i may try it and learn somthing new.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
why did you go wd blue, was it the cost because im looking at the 970evo and sabrient which is more money but speeds are alot better unless i wont notice the difference. just trying to make the right choice and i dont mind paying more for performance and as of now these are my 3 top choices.

im looking at this not much more then the wd but speed is faster and it has good reviews.

i have ordered the sabrent 2tb.

KeyboardDemon

ok im leaning towards getting it and instead of cloning im thinking a fresh install of everything i have been looking into the cloning and doesnt seem to be to difficult but can take a few hours to fininsh so i may try it and learn somthing new.
Cloning is easier now than it was when I looked at it, at the time cloning would have required spending a lot of time and effort while simply performing a fresh install meant I could get a system that was ready to use in less time.

Now with Microsoft 365 and Account based profiles, I can install a fresh copy of Windows and log in to have all my main preferences setup the way I like them before I have finished the install, it will even copy all of my documents from my OneDrive account to my new documents folder and keep them all in sync with other PCs/laptops/devices that I use.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
yeah i think so it comes with acronis software to clone so it will be my first time doing somthing like this on my own so im looking foward to it and im looking foward to the drive itself, ive been looking at a few different things and getting a m.2 made more since because its somthing i dont have. it already shipped out.

well im at it again nzxt got thier 140 fans in stock and im redoing all my fans to nzxt aer rgb 3 120,s 1 140 and im getting the nzxt x73 liquid cooler which has 3 120,s with it. its going to be awsome. just ordered it all.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements