1. Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: WWII, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Sledgehammer Games wanted to make Advanced Warfare 2?

Discussion in 'Upcoming Call of Duty' started by Carlos, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Carlos

Carlos Owner
    Staff Member Private

So, I was watching a few new videos and came across this one after liking his content. I was watching this one, and I was blown away. Speechless. Holy fuck. Sledgehammer Games wanted to make Advanced Warfare 2!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttJ6KCTGp4

2. Toxic34

Toxic34 Recruit

Nothing wrong with WWII, as what I've seen of the walkthroughs shows. But it definitely can't help but feel like they simply gave in to hipster hate and trolls who attacked the future concepts simply because of them being in the future. And given that people are accusing this current game of spinning its wheels creatively and not doing anything all that different, it makes this move feel pointless. If they can't be allowed to enjoy their success to any extent anymore and the naysayers have to keep harping on everything, then Sledgehammer should've just stuck to the original plan.

Is it likely that they will revisit the concept and finish the storyline. After all, the narrative doesn't need Jonathan Irons anymore, and they don't have that obvious millstone to contend with.

Carlos likes this.
  3. Carlos

Carlos Owner
    Staff Member Private

I agree with everything you said. They even sent out a survey about the future of Call of Duty but they removed it quickly. I honestly thought that was a bad idea. They should've just left it alone so people could respond to it. Who cares that it "teases" the next game? We all fucking know it's coming, Activision!

Here's a video by PrestigeIsKey about that whole thing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBht0fOZvtM

4. Toxic34

Toxic34 Recruit

Sledgehammer and Activision have been acting as if they are ashamed of the past, as if they have to "atone for their sins." This is the tack Activision took regarding the sales of IW, treating it like a failure for not meeting their internal targets, while neglecting the fact that it was hugely profitable. I've often heard COD compared to Nickelback, far too many times to count. I'm not a fan of Nickelback either, but I respect the fact that they make the music they want to make, without apology or concession to those that don't like them. COD has nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to apologize for. The series is what it is, and Activision and the developers should embrace that, rather than pretend otherwise.

Simply put, there is nothing more in WWII to be done. Between COD, Battlefield and Medal of Honor, that mine is has been completely tapped out. Do you think it is likely that Sledgehammer will revisit AW and finish the storyline?

5. Carlos

Carlos Owner
    Staff Member Private

Not until the next generation consoles arrive. Thing is, people are complaining in droves - in levels that Activision isn't comfortable with as a publishing company. The same is currently happening with Battlefront 2, but in that instance, they [EA] deserve it. They should know better than to tack and lock the game behind a P2W paywall. EA got fucking greedy, they know Star Wars fans will buy this game like nobody's business - and they wanted to profit off this game as much as they could. Activision is just facing a divide in the Call of Duty community.

Activision just doesn't know how to "please" fans at this point. Some like futuristic settings, some like modern settings, and some like the world war theatrics. I wanted the futuristic COD title, and BO2 was the best example of "boots on ground," with modern themes (weapons, locations, characters, etc.), while the game being in the future. It was that good.

Advanced Warfare was a good game, also. It just needed time to polish the game a tad bit longer. BO3 was good, but not as good as AW and/or BO2. By the time IW came out, people got tired of the theme, that's why IW got the backlash it had. That's why AW2 was canned. Activision knows Sledgehammer Games are good developers, it's just that - fans needs to tell Activision what they want. Otherwise they won't know what to make. The thing about Treyarch, is that they have this innate sense of intuition when it comes to what players wanted. They know exactly why fans fall in love with Treyarch, and keeps that momentum going.

6. Toxic34

Toxic34 Recruit

Clearly, removing the survey is just shooting themselves in the foot. But then again, it could also have backfired, as the very real splits in the COD community might have been revealed to be deeper, with no consensus to be found in the answers, thus leaving them more confused than ever.

But the point still stands. If they simply embrace COD's identity and just focus on doing what they can do and what they know they can accomplish rather than focus on making a big grand magnum opus to sway everyone's opinion and show how brilliant they are and move to reinvent the wheel, the future of the series will be secure no matter what. You'd think that they'd know that by this point.