1. Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: WWII, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

The CODForum story

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Carlos, Jun 28, 2016.

Sponsored
  1. Carlos

Carlos Owner
    Staff Member Private

Two years ago, some time in 2014, I was trying to search "CODForums" on any and all search engine. For the most part, I've captured many variations of "CODFourms," but what about mobile browsers? This was the result:

Screenshot_2016-06-28-07-15-56.png

When I saw that, I flipped. I got angry. Frustrated. At this point, I'd already cornered the "CODForums" market on Tapatalk, but I see this, and I thought "this has to be fixed." I felt that I needed to do more. I click the search listing to be curious about how far the site's come... (I've seen the site before.) And lo' and behold, it was taken by a new owner. At first, I was pissed off, I've been targeting CODForum.com since 2010. I tried to buy the site once before, but the price was not right. The guy that owned CODForum.com before @WhoIsDo took over, made an offer of $3,000. I was ready to gather the money. I was hunting for this money. 3 to 6 months later, I came back to the same guy, because I had a little bit of money for a down payment towards the overall site. Guess what? The guy turned around and said "That'll be $10,000."

I was floored. I'd spend money to acquire CODForum, but there's no way in hell a database of 39 active members, 80 total members, 221 threads, 1,342 posts is or was worth $10k. No way.

I've bought a large site with 15,785 Threads, 309,756 Posts, and 9,035 Members for... $600. And get this: I was getting 1 Thousand Views each day. Think about that. I reached close to 1 million pageviews with that single website. To me, it was the best $600, I've ever spent.

When I bought CODForums, I paid a grand total of $1,101. And it turned out to be my best investment yet. And it still is. It's the highest ranking Call of Duty Forum in the world today. Here's the kicker: When I bought the site, the database was this small: 1,242 Members, 486 Threads, 1,724 Posts. By the time I moved the site to my server, it grew larger than expected: 2,620 Members, 610 Threads, 2,072 Posts - as you can tell, even when I bought it... Nothing affected the growth. In fact, it helped it. I became administrator before becoming full owner.

I topped that acquisition by buying DestroyRepeat.com for $1,500. It was (and still is) a great name, and it had this kind of database: 7,058 Threads, 63,444 Posts, 5,544 Members.

I'm not going to talk about how much I acquired CODForum for, yet. But it's bigger than any one of those acquisition(s). It took me a long time to get here, and I am glad I made it.