• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Thoughts on the Campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know *most* people play Call of Duty games for the multiplayer, but I do enjoy the single player campaigns. They borrow heavily from movies, but that's part of the fun. I wouldn't call Advanced Warfare's story mindblowing because it just reminds me of Metal Gear. Still, I'm excited that Kevin Spacey is voicing the villain, and the move to even more movie set-like pieces and environments has me excited.

Would you prefer a more realistic campaign? Or do you want something more original? Or do you just like the campaigns for what they are, a little adrenaline rush with bullets?

moaz13

Recruit
Well, since Kevin Spacey is in this then it's a must play for me for sure.

I hated Modern Warfare's setting, just found it boring in my opinion, this certainly looks much more interesting.

One thing I hate about campaigns in CoD is that it's always so limited and restricting on what you are allowed to do, for example walk slowly behind captain douchenozzle and if you go too fast then it's insta-kill, so this certainly looks better in the fact that it gives more freedom.

GlacialDoom

Recruit
I agree with you, guys, Kevin Spacey makes this a must-play.

So far, Modern Warfare and Black Ops have been amazing stories, but Ghosts was really trying too hard to impress with badass-ery that they forgot to make a good story. Instead, we got a "meh" story full of cliches.

I just hope that they will really expand on the idea of private armies and that it won't be yet another "you are supreme glorious usa soldier, kill bad guys russians/terrorists/insert minority here".

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Kevin Spacey's acting in this looks superb so far. I have no doubt the game will be action packed with Academy Award winning motherfucker in it!

starguy197

Recruit
Kevin Spacey hopefully will be good in this. Troy Baker is voicing the main character, and after playing the Last of Us, I love me some Baker. I like to play multiplayer and campaign equally. The only campaign I haven't enjoyed is MW3's campaign. It sucks Soap died. My favorite campaign of them all is BO1.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I enjoyed MW3's campaign, because of the train station stint, but when Soap died, I felt bad. :(

I also enjoyed the MW2 campaign, too... even though it's controversial to the media, I still enjoyed the whole airport incident. It was refreshing to be the bad guy.

JusZenTFN

Banned
I haven't enjoyed a campaign in a while, I'm looking forward to this one though. Kevin Spacey definitely adds an extra element.

I'd have to choose either Modern Warfare 1 and 2 or Black Ops 2 as my favorite campaign of the series. Modern Warfare 1 was pretty incredible, and I liked the fighting on US soil in MW2. Black Ops 2's campaign was just so dark in some parts that it was hard not to like for me. Although Advanced Warfare's basic plot isn't totally new or innovative, I think the star power involved can make it something that's better than the norm.

Hiyabats

Recruit
I could listen to Kevin Spacey read the telephone book and be happily entertained. I personally like the campaigns. I like original campaigns over the ones based on certain battles. I hope the addition of an academy award winner signals the era of new and more entertaining missions and scenarios to the game. I wish more games would use similar voice actors. Just imagine Morgan Freeman's voice coming over your headphones sweet and milky like butter. ;)

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I could listen to Kevin Spacey read the telephone book and be happily entertained. I personally like the campaigns. I like original campaigns over the ones based on certain battles. I hope the addition of an academy award winner signals the era of new and more entertaining missions and scenarios to the game. I wish more games would use similar voice actors. Just imagine Morgan Freeman's voice coming over your headphones sweet and milky like butter. ;)
The problem is a lot of companies can't afford that kind of risk. Kevin Spacey's involvement had to cost Activision $50 million alone. The reason why Activision can afford it, is because they're a multi-billion dollar company.
I'd have to choose either Modern Warfare 1 and 2 or Black Ops 2 as my favorite campaign of the series. Modern Warfare 1 was pretty incredible, and I liked the fighting on US soil in MW2. Black Ops 2's campaign was just so dark in some parts that it was hard not to like for me. Although Advanced Warfare's basic plot isn't totally new or innovative, I think the star power involved can make it something that's better than the norm.
What do you mean not new or innovative? Not a lot of films are doing what Advanced Warfare seems to be doing. How many PMC films have you seen? None. Because there isn't many or in my opinion: There isn't one. A lot of the films about war are basically government contractors. PMC's are rising and has been since the iraqi/Afghanistan wars...

Last edited by a moderator:

ReaperTV

Recruit
I think campaign will be great. Sledgehammer made dead space so the campaign should be good. I've heard that they are planning to make the campaign longer too. Also, they had a longer time to develop.

I prefer something original. I hope they change it up a bit this year since the campaigns are starting to seem a bit alike. Still enjoy them though.

Larrel94

Recruit
I've personally always enjoyed the different Call of Duty campaigns. With the addition of Spacey, who I just love from House of Cards, American Beauty, and Horrible Bosses, I can't imagine not liking this one.

Qarnage

Recruit
Honestly I've always seen the campaigns as a way to test out all the guns in the game before I hit multiplayer. I never thought the stories were particularly well done either. I wouldn't say they are bad but they're no masterpieces in any way.Perhaps the addition of Spacey, whose work I honestly have never seen, might give us a very solid story. The setting is definitely full of potential so let's hope for a nice campaign. I've been getting bored of the adrenaline-filled campaigns though, so let's hope they take it a little slower this time.

The problem is a lot of companies can't afford that kind of risk. Kevin Spacey's involvement had to cost Activision $50 million alone. The reason why Activision can afford it, is because they're a multi-billion dollar company.

Had to cost $50 million? If you think he's making that much for one game, then you don't know much about the film, television, or gaming industry. He makes $5 million per season of House of Cards with a $9 million salary per season starting with the upcoming season. He is providing motion capture for the game on top of his voice, so he's probably earning anywhere between $2 and $10 million for his role in Advanced Warfare.

AAA video games are like high-budget films and cost anywhere from $50 to $200 million to develop, produce, market, and release. CoD: MW2 cost around $200 million in that regard, and Advanced Warfare is certainly a more expensive title. A developer wouldn't spend 25% (or far more) of a game's overall budget to bring one actor into the mix. That would be economic madness.

I'm usually not interested in the storyline, especially if it's not done by Treyarch but Advanced Warfare's campaign looks pretty good from the trailers. I love House of Cards and it looks like they are pretty much bringing Spacey's character from the show and putting him in command of a massive Private Military Corporation. Plus I love a new storyline, I was getting pretty tired of the whole Makarov/Mason stuff from earlier Call of Duty's.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Had to cost $50 million? If you think he's making that much for one game, then you don't know much about the film, television, or gaming industry. He makes $5 million per season of House of Cards with a $9 million salary per season starting with the upcoming season. He is providing motion capture for the game on top of his voice, so he's probably earning anywhere between $2 and $10 million for his role in Advanced Warfare.
Actually, I do. Most film stars get paid at least 10 to 50 million per film. The only reason why Netflix pays only 5 to 9 million dollar budget to Spacey for House of Cards is because of the media platform (digital distribution). Or the fact that the company is not that big. Netflix is part of a growing business, not an established business.

Robert Downey Jr. who typically does Marvel films rakes in $75 million dollars. Keanu Reeves, for his Matrix films was $30 million. Do the math.
AAA video games are like high-budget films and cost anywhere from $50 to $200 million to develop, produce, market, and release. CoD: MW2 cost around $200 million in that regard, and Advanced Warfare is certainly a more expensive title. A developer wouldn't spend 25% (or far more) of a game's overall budget to bring one actor into the mix. That would be economic madness.
I already know all this. And actually, they would pay 25% or more to bring Spacey in, if someone like Spacey would bring a big market to the game. Oh yeah.

Activision is a multi-billion dollar company. It can afford a price that Spacey specifies. "Name your fucking price and I will pay you this much." Yep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Servace

Recruit
I am one of those people who do not play campaign unless the servers are offline or something is wrong with my internet. I am more on the competitive side and I have to beat other people online. If I do play a campaign then I would end up playing until it is fully finished.

Actually, I do. Most film stars get paid at least 10 to 50 million per film.
Robert Downey Jr. who typically does Marvel films rakes in $75 million dollars. Keanu Reeves, for his Matrix films was $30 million. Do the math.

You're detracting from the point. We're not talking about other film stars; we're talking about Kevin Spacey. For the record, most film stars earn far less than $30 million PER FILM, and mentioning that RDJ makes $75 million without mentioning that's an annual figure from June 2012 to June 2013 is misleading.

Spacey has only starred in one blockbuster since 2011 in the form of Horrible Bosses. That film had a budget of $35 million and had a number of notable actors/actresses in it, so Spacey didn't make anywhere near $50 million, or $40 million, or $30 and $20 million. He likely made "just" a few million base salary and then made a little more thanks to the film's success.

So Spacey's salary is absolutely in line with what he's making from House of Cards or just over what he took in from Horrible Bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.