1. Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: WWII, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

What do you guys think when?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NickJ, Apr 9, 2013.

1. NickJ

NickJ Recruit

When someone goes crazy and kills innocent people. And games like Call Of Duty get the blame for it? I think it's so annoying but also sad and narrow-minded at the same time.

2. kamy

kamy Recruit

Yeh it kinda annoys me as well they only blame it on that because its the only thing they can blame it on although there is no scientific proof that games like that can do such a thing.

3. NickJ

NickJ Recruit

I agree. Scientific proof actually proves more traces of an "evil gene" in some people instead of Call Of Duty driving people towards homicidal murderous impulses. I think if anything, bad cinema like THE SPICE GIRLS movie, or bad music like ONE DIRECTION... is more apt to do that.

4. CrispyEggos

CrispyEggos Recruit

To be honest, I think it's very interesting to hear about these stories. Not the interesting in that it peaks my excitement to see it happen, but just the psychology and mindset and everything that goes with it. Most people aren't like that, and to imagine somebody to actually commit these crimes is something we aren't used to. We are naturally curious.

When the James Holmes (Batman theater guy) house was gone through, they listed a list of things they found which was very interesting. Plenty of ammo, video games, and regular, every day things that anybody would have.

I don't agree with blaming video games...it's just a virtual world and any sane person knows that they are only games for a reason...to commit something like that somebody must have some evil in them, or have something wrong in their heads.

5. NathansWord

NathansWord Recruit

I don't agree that a video game can be directly responsible for someone going out on a shooting rampage, however I do agree that violent video games do desensitize people to these acts. This is illustrated by the amount of youths being so ready to make jokes about such distastefully violent acts.

The fact of the matter however is that a video game is not the major factor in somebody committing such an act.

6. Gamer

Gamer Recruit

Its 50-50 from my side because a game can't be blamed for such activities if happens, and yeah it can happen also not because of everyone but can be because of small children playing..and violent scenes could occur outside due to violent mind because of playing. Small children should not be allowed to play such violent games.

7. MrDread

MrDread Recruit

The problem with society today is that parents aren't parents anymore. They want to let electronics and TV babysit their children, instead of being able to teach children how to differentiate between reality and fiction. I don't blame games or movies, that is what the ratings systems are for. I blame parents who are slacking at their parental duties.

2 people like this.
  8. Danblu

Danblu Recruit

It bothers me that games are always the easy target and the first thing people turn to when these things happen. Considering the number of gamers around the world it would be expected that more cases of shootings at schools and public places would happen, instead there's one every couple of years or so. People can't just jump on videogames and blame them of influencing kids when there's a lot of tv shows that have shoot outs and depict all kinds of firearms and there are parents that still don't know how to raise their kids.

9. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_Jo Recruit

It's complete bullcrap. It's really disgusting when they blame it on the gun laws, too! Video games and guns don't force you into a murderous rampage! An oppressive society and poor mental health do!
    It's the very people that point the finger that are to blame for the poor mental health of the people, because instead of doing something meaningful, they just look for someone to blame.

10. Greenbox390

Greenbox390 Recruit

Well, like I said in a similar thread I think that violence in games can have a detrimental effect on young children. Only if a regular child or teen is going to be playing for like 15 hours a day might it have some effect eventually. It also depends on the sensitivity of the individual. I think in most cases most people can play games without it greatly affecting their psyche, however on rare occasions it may influence certain individuals much more?

11. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

There are many factors that go into someone going insane, then on killing sprees. These factors do not just include games like Call of Duty, or even things such as being bullied. I think it is quite tragic when these events happen. I think it is more tragic that these politicians do not take proper measures to find the true cause of what went wrong in the shooters mind.
    I think that everyone has his/her own story. I do not think games like Call of Duty are to blame.

12. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

I would have to agree with you. There is nothing or anything to blame such a catastrophe on except games like Call of Duty.

13. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

Wow, I have never heard of such a thing having been proven. I have complete an associates in criminal justice and this was not touched upon too much. I do not think cinema such as the Spice Girls movie, or music would do this to people. I think perhaps it has everything to do with the cartoons we were permitted to watch growing up. Like Road Runner and the Coyote. I mean come on. Are you serious this is children's television?

14. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

Yes, I think it does spike a lot of curiousness in many people. To think that these things were going on before the Internet and we were not as informed then as we are now. I think the "Bath, Michigan" school house disaster perpetrator was correct "Criminals are made, not born." I think it depends on how and were we are raised more than it depends on what we are permitted watch and play.

15. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

I think the children of today are indeed desensitized to these acts. They are also more informed than I was when I was nine.

16. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

You are correct about small children not being permitted to play such violent games. But, what happens when you have an older teen and young children in the same house? How does one prevent the young child from seeing such horrific acts on his/her television?

17. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

I do agree with you, partially. But, I babysit my niece. I do try to limit her television. I am constantly being asked by this three year old to watch television. This is her choice to watch television. I spend as much time with her that I can. She plays the iPad and has her own little learning activities in her section of the iPad. She is rather intelligent because of this. Well, maybe not so much the Mickey Mouse Club House, or Dora, but.

18. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

Totally agree that there are parents who do not know how to raise kids. This is what happens when there are too many children raising children. How do you expect a child to know what she is doing? Perhaps, it has a lot to do with many of today's youth growing up in broken homes also.

19. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

Yes, poor mental health has so much to do with it. When you think that society should care for and treat the mentally ill and perhaps this would better the problem.

20. sbatz72

sbatz72 Recruit

Yes, but when the children play these games, parents should most certainly be putting a time limit on the number of hours the child can play. But, like was said, parents do not parent anymore.