• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

What has been killing the COD series over the past few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinomarino1

Recruit
I have been infatuated with call of duty ever since cod 4. But its hard to start losing interest when the games keep deteriorating in quality. i was just wondering, what do you think are some of the reason the series is falling short year after year? Do you think AW will be the turn around cod needs?

I think this is something we've all discussed in detail before, but anyways. CoD has simply suffered from franchise fatigue over the last few games, essentially since Modern Warfare 2. The numerous developers for the games haven't done enough to change the serious to make successive iterations seem new and exciting.

I blame this partially on the fact that the game engine for CoD has been mostly perfect since Modern Warfare. It has no weaknesses or issues from a standalone point for a given title. However, gamers rightfully see that as a problem because the developers haven't change the game at all. Advanced Warfare is tweaking the formula in small ways, but the changes seem pretty big to fans of the franchise, and they are in that regard.

moaz13

Recruit
Totally agree with TeamNiceDynamite, it's like how Guitar Hero died, too many games in the series basically doing the same thing. The only reason Call of Duty got so popular in the first place is that it's half it's budget was spent in marketing. The game got too casual and alienated it's fans and then just did the same thing over and over again so people are getting bored.

I would probably be more excited for Advanced Warfare if it was not a call of duty game.

Luke Martin

Recruit
I think it's just because of the repetitiveness of all the games, and the campaign be awful. Guess the saying, "You can't get enough of a good thing," is false. The CoD multiplayer is amazing, but it's the same every game, so you can get bored of it. AW looks like they may be taking it in a new direction.

GlacialDoom

Recruit
Repetitiveness. Not only the same engines/graphics. The same goddamned campaign ideas over and over again. They really need a fresh story this time around, but I wouldn't count on it too much, as Call of Duty games are usually as Hollywood-like as possible.

From the back story to the graphics of this game, I would be shocked if Advanced Warfare doesn't stop the slide in COD's quality. The beta tester all seem to feel that the game is a surefire hit. Time will tell.

FPSKing

Recruit
COD 4 was the one to putt a new spin one the series that kicked it into overdrive. My favorite one was Modern warfare 2 until the hackers and you tubers ruined it with all the bad tactics and cheesy game play. Thant ended up ruining the game. Black ops also started off good but then became something completely different halfway through its life cycle not to mention it ruined zombies. And finally the straw that broke the camels back MW3 nuff said.

They come out too often. I bet if they took two year breaks between games, they'd be getting somewhere. Assassin's Creed though is one of those games that they milk but they do it in a way that changes the formula every year. But COD doesn't do that much.

bourge_21

Recruit
60 frames per second is all well and good (and in fact Ghosts runs higher than that on PS4... by mistake), but it doesn't make up for the flat, bland and lifeless world you inhabit. You don't buy a supercar for the engine alone, even if it does purr like a fat kitten on your warm lap. How you dress it up matters, and CoD has not been dressed to impress for years now.

Memph

Recruit
As someone who has 20 days on every COD since MW2, for me it is the developers catering to new players. The weapons, perks and attachments have been encouraging slow play more game by game.

bourge_21

Recruit
Meaning, the developers need more stringent mechanics in the design of the CoD series. Setting the game environment in a more controllable hold could lift some of the aspects of the game that need improvement. In fact, they should pay attention to the more aspects of the game vulnerable to criticisms.

ReaperTV

Recruit
I don't think the game is being worse year after year. I think its getting better year after year with the exception of ghosts. Black Ops 2 is when competitive took off. The game was really great for snipers. Then ghosts came in and ruined everything. Now AW seems to be really good. Almost everybody who plays it enjoys it.

If anything that is killing cod is bad connection. Dedicated servers are needed and I think AW will have them. Not sure. The only other thing is the community. Community as in camping or trolling.

mrposter

Recruit
TeamNiceDynamite hit the nail on the head, my favorite COD to this day is COD 4, I've never really enjoyed another COD (or fps for that matter) as much as IV.

To be fair to the developers though, there's only so much you can do with an FPS.

bourge_21

Recruit
The connection could be considered. Somehow when I play online, there are glitches. These glitches or hangs make it hard to control actions in real-time. Frustrating.

Esperahol

Recruit
Honestly - what kills it most is all the complaining. It's kind of like Avatar: Legend of Korra. Anything that might be good about a COD game following like COD IV will be said to have been done better previously. Anything that might be average will be exaggerated into a flaw. And then the things that are actually bad are presented as the end of FPS gaming forever.

Basically it's something of a people problem - the hardcore crowd wants to make it impossible for anyone with a life to play on the servers; the older crowd has superglued the nostalgia goggles to their faces; the hipsters hate it because it's one of the oldest FPS IPs out there and old things suck; and everyone else is rage quitting because it's all apparently a popularity contest. Notice that because there is a spring well of good rumors that suddenly AW is going to be awesome or something. 10 to 1 it isn't all that different, but people just approach it better... until the hype dies down and then everyone hates it forever.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Basically it's something of a people problem - the hardcore crowd wants to make it impossible for anyone with a life to play on the servers; the older crowd has superglued the nostalgia goggles to their faces; the hipsters hate it because it's one of the oldest FPS IPs out there and old things suck; and everyone else is rage quitting because it's all apparently a popularity contest. Notice that because there is a spring well of good rumors that suddenly AW is going to be awesome or something. 10 to 1 it isn't all that different, but people just approach it better... until the hype dies down and then everyone hates it forever.
Just about everything you said, except striked out comment.... is bullseye. Call of Duty caters to the casual crowd, (and yes) the veterans of the wars between 2007 (COD4) and now. Activision even made a charity to endow the veterans that come home from tours.

It's the cheaters, the competitive kids that ruin the whole thing. The hardcore folks - and I mean really, really hardcore - that means people who think they're better using lagswitch, cheats, glitches, and whatnot... I am not hating the legitimate hardcore players (because I am one), who just have more experience, more reflex, and more tactical, more this, more that. The darkest side of hardcore gaming is where Call of Duty does the worst. Activision can't avoid it, because there's just so many Call of Duty players (100 million). While it's not a bad thing to have 100 million players, the problem is that you'll find a bunch of bad apples in the pool.

js85

Recruit
I think promoting a more mature game would benefit. A huge downfall is the stigma of the audience being "12 year old boys who f-ed your mom" etc. I'm almost ashamed sometimes to say that I'm a CoD fan because of what's attached to it. You don't see that sort of stigma with Titanfall or BF. I'm not sure what could be done to promote a mature game, but it should be done with CoD. Maybe this one will do it.

jaredstein

Recruit
I think the thing that has been fucking with COD is that they released a game every year and this was not enough time for them to fully develop a game. This is why Call Of Duty releases all these expansions, they are used to substitute for the game that should be there but is not there because of under development. For COD: Ghosts they just took a shit and put it into a game then sold it to public. I think if they took like 1 year 6 months to make a game they would be 300% better, the 6 month period this is where they make those tweaks and add a few more maps. This is just my opinion and others can disagree with me.

Like what most have said, the thing that probably gives the series a bad mantra is the fact that it comes out every year.

We live in an age where gamers whine about "we want something new". So when a new COD game comes out, they cry about it being more of the same.

In truth, most of the time it is more of the same. But if people keep buying it, obviously those who complain are in the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.