• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

What is cross gen?

Wiseowl

Recruit
When l go to store and read the different versions of Cold War, standard says plays on ps5 via backward compatibility when it launches, cross gen says and download the ps5 version at no extra cost when it launches?

Also is the ultimate version Worth it?

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
The ultimate pack usually gives you more, not more game, but more operators, skins, blueprints, decals, calling cards, and it lets you advance 20 tiers on the battle pass, at least that's what it offered in CoD:MW.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
When l go to store and read the different versions of Cold War, standard says plays on ps5 via backward compatibility when it launches, cross gen says and download the ps5 version at no extra cost when it launches?

Also is the ultimate version Worth it?
Cross Gen is what you want if you want the definitive version of Cold War for PS5. A lot of companies are doing this to new games right now.

KeyboardDemon

Cross Gen is what you want if you want the definitive version of Cold War for PS5. A lot of companies are doing this to new games right now.
As in 1 payment will let you carry it forward so you can cross from gen 4 (PS4) to gen 5 (PS and whatever number the next PS will be ;)).

Ok, yes, I know 5 comes after 4, but where's the fun in that.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
As in 1 payment will let you carry it forward so you can cross from gen 4 (PS4) to gen 5 (PS and whatever number the next PS will be ;)).

Ok, yes, I know 5 comes after 4, but where's the fun in that.
Yes. When developers were working on Black Ops Cold War, they were working on current gen consoles (PS4, Xbox One, etc.) So, they had to work around this by creating a "new game" with PS5 and Xbox Series X. Rumor is, this new game is a restart from what they were working on with Sledgehammer/Raven Software. Treyarch was put at dev lead to diffuse the issues between Sledgehammer/Raven. So, it was development hell for a bit until Activision put a stop to it and put Treyarch as lead.

So, Treyarch had to make new decisions quickly. This is a result of all that.

Im kind of confused by the fact that it seems like there will be a cross-gen edition of the PC version to. (Would that be to upgrade from pc to ps5/XseriesX Later then?)

KeyboardDemon

Yes. When developers were working on Black Ops Cold War, they were working on current gen consoles (PS4, Xbox One, etc.) So, they had to work around this by creating a "new game" with PS5 and Xbox Series X. Rumor is, this new game is a restart from what they were working on with Sledgehammer/Raven Software. Treyarch was put at dev lead to diffuse the issues between Sledgehammer/Raven. So, it was development hell for a bit until Activision put a stop to it and put Treyarch as lead.

So, Treyarch had to make new decisions quickly. This is a result of all that.
Thanks for explaining that, I was genuinely confused about this until your previous answer and now I see why they've done it this way.

These devs do so like a good fight though, don't they?

Wiseowl

Recruit
Im kind of confused by the fact that it seems like there will be a cross-gen edition of the PC version to. (Would that be to upgrade from pc to ps5/XseriesX Later then?)
It looks like from the reply’s that’s I’ve been given and l understand fully, pay £5 more for cross gen which means the only difference between standard and cross gen Is that if the game continues to the next model after ps5 you’ll get that too. If your not bothered about that you still get the ps5 version as standard!

As it includes pc then yes looks like you can buy for pc and if you want it’ll allow you to cross over to any of the consoles!

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Yes. So, don't buy the base version unless you plan to use PS4/Xbox One for a long while.

It looks like from the reply’s that’s I’ve been given and l understand fully, pay £5 more for cross gen which means the only difference between standard and cross gen Is that if the game continues to the next model after ps5 you’ll get that too. If your not bothered about that you still get the ps5 version as standard!

As it includes pc then yes looks like you can buy for pc and if you want it’ll allow you to cross over to any of the consoles!
No. Cross Gen is for consoles only, PC is different because the "upgrades" are universal across all upgrades. Look for the recommended specs if you're on PC. Cross Gen is going from PS4 to PS5, or Xbox One to Xbox Series X. On Xbox it's easier because Microsoft is pushing "smart delivery" so hard. We don't know anything about BC on PS5 except the tech conference back in March...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8LyNIT9sg

KeyboardDemon

Yes. So, don't buy the base version unless you plan to use PS4/Xbox One for a long while.
I'm planning on getting the PC version, if I get it at all, but not planning on getting a console, so Cross Gen won't matter to me. What does matter to me is being able to buy 2 licenses so I can run it on my other PC at the same time. Or is there another way to do that for 2 players in the same household?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I'm planning on getting the PC version, if I get it at all, but not planning on getting a console, so Cross Gen won't matter to me. What does matter to me is being able to buy 2 licenses so I can run it on my other PC at the same time. Or is there another way to do that for 2 players in the same household?

Nope. You will have to buy two separate BO Cold War licenses if you want to play together on Cold War. Multiplayer looks really good from the teaser, it removes any doubt in my mind that this isn't "Modern." This is going to be as recent as 198x. This is when Nicaragua had their own war, so I expect us to go back there again. I was born during this exact war.

Wiseowl

Recruit
The ultimate pack usually gives you more, not more game, but more operators, skins, blueprints, decals, calling cards, and it lets you advance 20 tiers on the battle pass, at least that's what it offered in CoD:MW.
I knew what you get in the ultimate but l wondered if what you get is good value? Operator skins plus a few other things and then you get 20 tier battle skip which you can usually get for so many cp in the game store. I can’t remember exactly how much money this cost for this alone but surely it’s a lot less then £ 30 difference from ultimate to standard, or not?

Having different skins is obviously good but in all for what you get is it worth paying the extra price? Just wanted to know if people thought this was a wow to what you get or what’s the point I’ll just save my £30

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I knew what you get in the ultimate but l wondered if what you get is good value? Operator skins plus a few other things and then you get 20 tier battle skip which you can usually get for so many cp in the game store. I can’t remember exactly how much money this cost for this alone but surely it’s a lot less then £ 30 difference from ultimate to standard, or not?

Having different skins is obviously good but in all for what you get is it worth paying the extra price? Just wanted to know if people thought this was a wow to what you get or what’s the point I’ll just save my £30
If you like the operators that is featured in the Ultimate Edition, buy it, but otherwise, just get the Cross-Gen version and save that £30.

I'm not falling for that "Ultimate Edition" (Special Edition/Premium Edition) stuff, I just want my game, and I'm off to the races. They just want more money.

KeyboardDemon

If you like the operators that is featured in the Ultimate Edition, buy it, but otherwise, just get the Cross-Gen version and save that £30.

I'm not falling for that "Ultimate Edition" (Special Edition/Premium Edition) stuff, I just want my game, and I'm off to the races. They just want more money.

This is what it comes down, value is in the eye if the beholder, if you are the value then go for it.

So Say I buy the cross gen version of the PC version om release day and later "upgrade" to the ps5 version. Would I still be able to play on pc after upgrading?

Im guessing I would have to buy 2 to do that. Im really torn on where to play this. Even though the ps5 version will be an upgrade from ps4, I kind of fear that it will feel like a downgrade when compared to pc. They might look the same but im sure things like FOV setting and other things will be missing from the console versions.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
So Say I buy the cross gen version of the PC version om release day and later "upgrade" to the ps5 version. Would I still be able to play on pc after upgrading?

Im guessing I would have to buy 2 to do that. Im really torn on where to play this. Even though the ps5 version will be an upgrade from ps4, I kind of fear that it will feel like a downgrade when compared to pc. They might look the same but im sure things like FOV setting and other things will be missing from the console versions.
Yes, you have to buy the PS5 version and the PC version. Cross gen is only for consoles, people. This is no different than the one during Call of Duty Ghosts.

Wiseowl

Recruit
@ Carlos yes you’re right you can’t go from pc to a console, I’m quite sure tho a good few hours ago it did mention pc. That is very confusing!

Wiseowl

Recruit
What... really.... I swiped over the letters 'see' and it saw it as 'are' the stupid fother mucker!
You have quoted your self with a reply, what does your first half of reply mean, lol

Well that’s what l was wondering is it worth it? Yes Yes l just want the game too! Lol!

I would love for two people in the same household to be able to play. Having to buy it twice is ridiculous. Surely there is a way?