• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Fact or Fiction

sbatz72

Recruit
I prefer movies and television about fact over fiction. I like the CSI and NCIS series. But these are basically fiction. I would prefer to watch this type of programming on the Investigation Discovery channel. What about you do you prefer fact or fiction?

NickJ

Recruit
Actually it's hard to tell what is fact or fiction these days. Lots of stuff on reality t.v. is staged, cut or trimmed for time concerns. Re-scripted, re-written, etc. About the only shows that are real these days are the ones like The First 48. Where real crime scene investigators and detectives, are trying to solve real murders. I even think some of those police shows like Real Policewomen of Memphis are staged.

CrispyEggos

Recruit
It's the the point where 90% of things on TV are staged...or at least set up. Ironically, reality TV shows are the worst. I tend to stray towards things I know are fake...like sitcoms and dramas (Breaking Bad, Dexter, etc) but are just portraying stories...or live events like sports and stuff.

I really can't stand some of the shows that are out there that are making people famous...they have no business earning an income from that stupid stuff that is going on around them.

NickJ

Recruit
But it's a statement on how society has changed. People with dysfunctional lives used to be looked down upon with scorn in the old days. Now though, if you have a screwed up life or existence. You can just have it taped or filmed and make a show out of it. On the other side of the spectrum though, if you've made it to be a successful person, you can have that whole life filmed too. If you're trying to become rich and famous, they can film some seasons of that too. I am actually shocked a cheerleader with a f'ked up family hasn't gotten her own reality show yet lol.

seafood

Recruit
Most of the shows I watch are fiction. I enjoy fiction more because they're usually more interesting for me and I can say watch them longer. When I watch, nonfiction shows, I usually get bored and I stop watching.

zackeymane

Recruit
Most of the shows I watch are fiction. I enjoy fiction more because they're usually more interesting for me and I can say watch them longer. When I watch, nonfiction shows, I usually get bored and I stop watching.

Complete opposite! But I like some fiction too. :)

Yes, nonfiction can get boring very quickly. That is why i prefer fiction tv shows. More entertaining and a better story

Fuey500

Recruit
I honestly prefer fiction, fiction is really fun as you know it's not true but it's so cool to visualize. I do watch a lot of cartoons though so this may influence me to the fiction side a bit. Fact is just a bit boring for me, I would rather see exotic adventures then Law & Order or Monk (even though I love Monk).

Thrix

Recruit
Fiction. Artists and writers can really express themselves, and fiction really inspires me. I don't have anything against 'fact' shows and games (I love Breaking Bad for example), but fiction is what amuses me more often.

tarcon

Recruit
I would have to go with fiction; they aren't restrained by reality and can still drive home a good point. Consider Breaking Bad, they took so many different styles of shows and put them into one. There's the drug aspect, the relationship struggle, the cop show, and the mild comedy.

eagle22

Recruit
Im a fiction freak! haha, could be because I am a nerd though :). I just love the mystery behind fiction, plus I think the writers of some fiction stories are brilliant.

chasedood

Recruit
I will for sure have to agree with you on that one. I also love shows that are factual. I love documentary's and things of that nature on like the Discovery Channel and National Geographic channel. I also do like the fictional shows as well though. I love the new show called Crisis that has just started, you might want to check it out. I believe it comes on NBC, i cant really remember.

starfox64

Recruit
I like my fair share of both. I've been watching both the Cosmos (fact) and House of Cards (fiction) a lot today and enjoy them both for different reasons. Most fictional shows have there fair share of fact to get the story across, but as long as they don't tout it as fact, I usually enjoy a good fictional show.

Breaking Bad kinda blended the elements (no pun intended) between fact and fiction. Yes, it was a fictional story, but the show seemed so realistic that I often got caught up in it. To me, that is the best type of fictional show; when the viewers feel as if what they are watching has actually happened and they are enjoying the show without recognizing its scripted.

goldenmaine

Recruit
I am more of a fiction person when it comes to movies and television because it is very hard to create a show based on non-fiction that is entertaining. Most shows that are fun and entertaining are fiction like comedy and action shows. I also watch non-fiction shows but mostly on channels like National Geographic and the Discovery Channel. It really depends on your preference but most of the time I watch fiction since they are fun and exciting to watch. Non-fictions I find more informative and based on real situations and show how you it will be if you are in that situation. Overall, I think it depends on what you feel like watching on certain day, if you like to be entertained or informed.

nekroz

Recruit
Fiction since the possibilities are endless. Fact is just too restrictive. Take something like Iron Man or the Avengers, only from fiction could something like that arise. And even fact based shows like on the Discovery Channel are honestly really sensationalized nowadays.

harpazo22

Recruit
That's a hard one. I love to learn real facts, but I also love mind twisting fiction. And often times I believe they put truth in plain sight on the fiction movies, so that interests me even more.

Oropherion

Recruit
Well, to me, it can vary. Just because something is factual doesn't make it boring, and fictional things aren't always interesting, and sometimes fiction can be more realistic than something trying to pass off as "based on a true story". A lot of reality-based programming is over-exaggerated or just flat-out staged for more views.

mooray

Recruit
I prefer fact over fiction but if there is fiction do not over-blow it into proportion. There are tv shows with fiction but it seems too realistic. I don't want to watch a movie about some guys flying around in under-wears and getting all the ladies. I prefer to watch a movie that can somehow relate to reality.

FlyFish998

Recruit
My favorite is somewhere in between.

I love watching true shows like forensic files, but can't really get into documentaries too much. I love reality-TV even though I know it is all scripted. I love shows like Big Brother, even though I know most of it is scripted/directed. Still something compelling about it.

My favorite things to watch, though, lie somewhere in the middle. I love watching factual documentaries that present reality in an alternative manner than mainstream. I like videos that make me think. I love "conspiracy" videos or videos that describe events in a different light than what the mainstream presents it as. Even historical narratives can greatly differ based on point of view. It really excites me to learn something new that could provide a basis for an alternate theory.

harpazo22

Recruit
I really love shows and movies that are based on real life events and facts. Probably even more than fiction. But, I do believe they put truth hidden in plain sight in fiction movies too. So they're very interesting to watch as well. It's a toss up.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements