• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

World at War, the Call of Duty that fell short

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker1one

Recruit
Often times, I'll hear people say "World at War was the best Call of Duty!" and I have to stop myself and think about how someone could actually get those words past their lips. In my opinion, Call of Duty: World at War was by far the worst entry into the series. The weapons were terrible, the attachments were awful, and the gameplay itself was incredibly sluggish and poorly done. I never understood why a bolt action rifle was a two hit kill until you put a scope on it. Nor did I understand why putting a drum mag on an MP40, which in terms of usage should make it harder to handle from the extra weight you now have to compensate for made it the exact opposite. The map design was awful, and adding the tanks back much like the previous Call of Duties could have been executed much better then how they did it. The tanks were not only quick, but they were also far to strong in terms of damage dealt, and damage taken. I understand it's a tank, but that doesn't mean it should be able to take 4+ panzerfausts and 5+ Tank Grenades. The whole point of the Tank Grenade, was that it was supposed to disable the tracks. Since Call of Duty isn't know for it's amazing physics Engine, that wasn't possible in the game. Another thing was the Killstreaks. To this day, I don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to put Dogs in the game. Not even that, but dogs that could take a full grenade, 5+ rounds from an assault rifle, and could jump over 6 foot walls. If they made it so the dogs took you down and forced a Quick Time Event, that would have been swell, but just jumping at nipping at me would not kill me. With the extremely thick clothing most soldiers war during World War 2, most attempts at biting the soldier would have been null.

Either way, out of every Call of Duty I've played since the release of the first, World at War is the only one I can't stand to go back and revisit a second time. Anyone else feel the same? If so, what else did you not enjoy about it. Did you like it? I'm interested to see why.

Please keep in mind that this is my own personal opinion, and I'm entitled to express my own thoughts on the game. You're welcome to express your own as well. This is for discussion, not flaming.

Documental

Recruit
I personally love the setting. I think that shooters are too much about the now and here when it comes to setting and I liked the history that World at War told you so it is probably my favourite game in the series.

Venomeye

Recruit
I though World at War was awesome apart from the tanks(save that for Battlefield).
Its a shame because it was hacked so quickly and never patched properly so most people including myself moved away from it.
By the way the Nazi zombies mode in this game was the best one IMO.

mattco

Recruit
I absolutely loved the PS3 version of World at War. I feel a large part was the nostalgic value (first zombies), the WWII setting, and just how the game play felt completely different from Modern Warfare. I enjoyed the maps, but I agree that they were a glitch-ridden mess. I can remember putting up my controller for several much because of all the floor holes people would exploit. Another downfall was the lack of same system online multiplayer. That's the biggest reason I don't continue to play it -- usually I have roommates involved who can't play simultaneously.

I don't agree with the OP or those who say W@W is the best. Some aspects of the game don't make sense logically, but CoD isn't about realism. Still, I respect your opinion, and I wasn't blown away by W@W either. I thought the campaign was pretty great by CoD standards, and Zombies is fun (albeit outdone in future CoD games) but the multiplayer is a bit "meh" to me.

Sorrow

Recruit
I love World At War as it's a bit different from the Call of Dutys that came along and lets not forget Nazi Zombies was especially fun! If I can go back in time this would be one of my favorite titles and be continued to play with as I did once before!

Unbel

Recruit
Personally I really enjoyed World at War. I had more fun in the WaW single player campaign than any other CoD game. It was also the beginning of CoD zombies.

pwarbi

Recruit
If I'm honest I'm also struggling with the OP, and I know that everybody will have their own opinion, but I don't think there was anything wrong with World at war really.

Playing it now it's not the best, granted but games move on. At the time I loved the game, and while I might not go as far as to say it's the best ever, I do think it did the series justice.

GTK48

Recruit
To the OP that is just your opinion , many others find it great. I am playing through it the 3rd time. BO2 sucked, Ghosts was OK, AW SP was good but this is a gme I will always play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements