• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Warzone Aim assist - Optics vs Iron sights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas hope everyones good.

I don't tend to use iron sights (I just like the way optics feel and look on my guns) but a few times now I've been in a position where I pick up a dead players custom assault rifle late game which they are running iron sights on - in theory I should be really bad with them as every one of my loadouts uses some kind of optic but my god, they seem to stick like glue!? It's almost like the bullets are magnetized to the enemy, even if you dont know exactly where they are it seems that you can just aim at the approx area, control the recoil and they're dead.
You sure as hell cant do that with optics.

Im sure there is some kind of aim assist buff to the iron sights of custom loadouts. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this why everyone's running around with iron sight graus these days?

CMCFLYYY

Recruit
Im sure there is some kind of aim assist buff to the iron sights of custom loadouts. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this why everyone's running around with iron sight graus these days?

People run around with iron sights because if you get used to iron sights instead of relying on the short-range optics, it allows you to save an attachment you can use elsewhere for ADS or recoil control. Not to mention, every sight you use including even the Red Dot/Reflex/Holo sights still slow down your ADS ever so little, so it's a double-whammy at that point. You save ADS time by removing the Reflex sight, and you can save more ADS on top of that by using another attachment like a Tac Laser, or alternatively a grip or tape to help with recoil.

Hey fellas hope everyones good.

I don't tend to use iron sights (I just like the way optics feel and look on my guns) but a few times now I've been in a position where I pick up a dead players custom assault rifle late game which they are running iron sights on - in theory I should be really bad with them as every one of my loadouts uses some kind of optic but my god, they seem to stick like glue!? It's almost like the bullets are magnetized to the enemy, even if you dont know exactly where they are it seems that you can just aim at the approx area, control the recoil and they're dead.
You sure as hell cant do that with optics.

I obviously don't fully understand how they've programmed the aim assist, but from what I've read up on in the past I tend to think of it as almost like a low FOV aimbot. You have to move your reticle "near" the target and then it will "slow down" your aim sensitivity so that it's easier to stay on target once you get on target. If that that makes sense. At least that's always how I've understood it.

I would say the phenomenon you're describing has to do with the ratio of the size of your reticle to the target you're aiming at. If you think about it, when you zoom in with say an 8x scope, your target becomes larger (obviously), but your reticle stays the same size it was before you zoomed in. So now you have a tiny reticle and a large target, meaning you have to do more work to get the reticle near the target before aim assist will kick in.

But if you use iron sights at longer distances instead of zooming in, now the size of your reticle is small but so is your target. So it is much easier to get your reticle near the target and then aim assist helps hold it there. So I'd say this is what you're noticing. With iron sights you're aiming at small targets and therefore have to move your reticle less before getting near enough for aim assist to help you out.

Cheers for the input @CMCFLYYY
Yes I certainly see the benefit of running i.s to gain an extra attachment slot, i just like optics i guess.
You might be onto something with your theory. But if that's the case (that you have a smaller space to track your target through aim assist while the enemy is appearing smaller on the screen) you'd think that while it would be easier to get on target but also easier to lose the target through recoil. That's not what I experience, it seems that whenever I use iron sights it's like the aim assist is doubled, easier to snap to your target but also stickier than with a red dot.

It's a weird one that's for sure.
If I had to guess I think the devs have put on a heavier aim assist to i.s, maybe a physically larger "bubble" around the enemy or a stronger "stick" to help with recoil once on target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements