• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

In Game GPU Temp Reading HIGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xasperator

Recruit
I have a 6800 XT that was registering in game overlay GPU temp around 70° but never went above 80° even if my space heater cooked me a little. Now my in game overlay hits 90° - 100° in a matter of a minute or two from a cold start unless I keep it cold in the room, then it takes like five minutes. I replaced the thermal paste (Grizzly Kryonaut) and with fans blasting (4100rpm GPU with case fans maxed too) I can keep the in game overlay temp at about 80°. Before the Grizzly addition I could max all the fans out (case fans and GPU fan) and it still stuck at 90° - 92° junction temp (in game overlay). Now with fans maxed out it sticks at about 80° to 82° in game overlay, and HWiNFO shows the junction temp at the 80°ish (previously 90°-92° with game overlay), but HWiNFO shows the average GPU temp at about 69°ish. Under "normal" gaming operation the in game overlay still exceeds 90° - 100° without tweaking the fans. Did WZ or Vanguard (both do it) change something to show the junction temp instead of the average, or should I be concerned? I know it is within tolerances per AMD specs, but the sudden in game overlay jump of 20°+ raises a red flag with me. Thoughts? The attached image shows what I have now under normal operating conditions except that my GPU fan settings are default instead of tweaked after about five or so minutes of Vanguard MP. (Ambient room temp today and optimally stays at about 20° to 23° for comfort.)

Attachments

• JunctionTemp.PNG
    JunctionTemp.PNG
    98.2 KB · Views: 2

freakdaddy64

Recruit
what osd are you using to monitor. how many fans do you have and what cpu cooler are you using. and what case and airflow direction you have.

Xasperator

Recruit
Using Alienware Aurora R14 case. water cooled cpu 5800. OSD is the in-game VG/WZ overlay as well as HWiNFO and AMD Software. It is just the junction temp, but the concern is that the in game overlays jumped from a cool regular 70 up to 80-90. I'm guessing something changed in the sensor that the game pulls from, but all the streamers online are still a cool 70, although I'm sure they are rocking water cooled cards as well. I'll probably get a water cooler for mine soon enough. Just the sudden temp reporting higher was concerning. Dell won't replace it unless it "fails" with BSOD or graphical glitches, which they will likely want to witness by viewing my screen. Although I'll probably just tell them here in a couple months that it failed and there is now no video. lol.

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
Dell/Alienware tend to put form over function, they have always prioritised the look of the product over features like airflow.

Just take a look at some of the Gamers Nexus videos on the Alienware R10 and R13 designs, at least with the R14 they have started using AIO water coolers instead of stock CPU coolers, but the design is still more about the look.

Try running the game on your PC with the side panel off and see if the GPU temps drop to determine if it is an airflow issue. If you can, try pointing a table fan to blow cooler air into the side with the panel off to see if it drops further.

If you don't see any changes in the reported temperature then it might just be a reporting issue with either HWinfo or the in-game reporting.

You might also want to try torture testing your GPU with Furmark to see if you can identify any issues that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements