• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Keyboard Demon Or Whoever... Best RTX Video Card For The $$$???

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
My friend owns a Gamer/Computer shop and his tech just quit.. I returned to the work force to help him out..

In gratitude, he's offered to buy me a new Video Card and just do a check deduction..

I have my eye on an EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 XC GAMING 12GB for $940...

Can I do better???

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
I don't know what to tell you bro.

The RTX 3060 XC has an MSRP of $329, the RTX 3080 has an MSRP of $699, but this shitty situation we find ourselves in, all due to a global shortage in chip manufacturing capacity, an increase in crypto mining and the scalping situation has put us in this boat where an entry level card is retailing at 3 times the MSRP and for more than the top tier card's MSRP.

When people buy from scalpers at 3 times the MSRP they are not only allowing themselves to get ripped off, but they are also encouraging scalpers to sell more and in turn driving the price up for all of us.

It's not enough that Trump has introduced an import tax on tech coming in from China, even if the company that had them made there is from the USA, scalping and large-scale GPU crypto mining is further making it harder for the average person to be able to obtain and enjoy new tech.

Can I do better???
Well, you can, but not right now.

If your friend has $940 to buy you a GPU ask him to hold on until GPU prices return to MSRP and then get him to get you an RTX 3080 Ti which should launch next month. Or if his shop can get an RTX 3080 Ti at MSRP then get him to get that as I would expect this to deliver RTX 3090 performance with half the VRAM and I expect it to cost between RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 prices at MSRP. The MSRP on an RTX 3090 is $1499 so if my assumptions are correct then I would expect the MSRP to launch at the end of the month or early next month at just $1049-$1149.

Getting an RTX 3060 XC at $940 would be like paying Mercedes S Class prices to buy a Cheverolet Spark, IMHO, and I just can't tell you that this is a good idea, unless I happened to have a Cheverolet Spart to sell you.

KeyboardDemon

So, in a month or so, there should be a readjustment of sorts??
I admire your optimism; it will get much worse before it gets better.

The issues started around mid 2020, they got worse when the RTX 3000 series GPUs launched, escalated when the Radeon 6000 series GPUs launched and has been compounded with the PS5 and XBox Series X launches.

I think you won't see a decent deal this side of fall possibly even as late as Spring 2022.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Just my luck... :^/

Found a RTX 3060 for $465, but no estimate on delivery time...

Guess I am just holding off for now...

Thanx for all the info...

KeyboardDemon

It's the same here in the UK, there are some places advertising GPUs at MSRP but then stating that they can't give a delivery date due to stock issues.

At least you have a GPU that produces a playable gaming experience.

One of my friends has had an issue where his GPU, a GTX 1080 Ti died, but he can't replace it, though he is fortunate enough to own a PS5 so he can still play.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
I wonder if maybe a small upgrade to a GTX 1xxx Ti might be a consideration to tide me over...

Apparently, not...

Those are 800-1000 too...

OK, patience it is... :D

KeyboardDemon

GPUs are all overpriced.

The RTX 3000 and AMD 6000 are selling out everywhere so people started buying previous gen cards, and then the gen before etc...

Right now is a really good to sell your old GPUs if you have a new GPU to use in its place because second hand prices are going through the roof.

But it's not a good time to be trying to buy, as you've already seen.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Allow me to drop in and give my 2 cents on this discussion.

I've been following this closely...

1. There is a chip semiconductor shortage, which affects ALMOST everything we use. Laptops, cars, game consoles, PC parts (like graphics cards), "pre-made"/"pre-built" PC's, and so on. This is because of a political issue.

We became too reliant on China. Not just U.S., but also other countries. U.K. is included in this list. So, if you are affected - EVERYONE else is affected.

2. We recently just had a shipping issue in the canal. Which backed up shipping for a lot of things like graphics cards, and PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles. So A LOT of products are rising in prices across the board.

3. EVEN IF WE get products... there is scalping all over the place. Online or in-store.

China is intentionally withholding chips on purpose to strong-arm United States or any other countries into doing "x" (I'm not Xi Jinping so don't ask what.)

Expect things to get worse than it gets better. Most companies are getting chips from China because its cheaper. China is using this as a weapon.

I expect it to cause World War 3.

KeyboardDemon

I have deliberately tried to keep my political commentary on this matter to a bare minimum. One thing that has become clear to me since joining these forums about a year ago is that I know very little about global politics, @Carlos on the other hand is far more politically aware then I am and I can think of no reason to dispute what he has said.

I do have something to add though, TSMC have 3 main fabrication plants spread over Taiwan, all 3 of these pants were hit with severe water shortages following a 35% decline from the average rainfall for the first quarter over 2010-2020. The shortage led the government to introduce water rationing for households and businesses in April 2021. Fabrication requires a lot of water so this would have also contributed and exaggerated the issues that TSMC are facing.

The situation is a bit like pulling layers off an onion, each layer removed reveals another below.

Also knowing this is not going to take us any closer to getting a GPU.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I have deliberately tried to keep my political commentary on this matter to a bare minimum. One thing that has become clear to me since joining these forums about a year ago is that I know very little about global politics, @Carlos on the other hand is far more politically aware then I am and I can think of no reason to dispute what he has said.

I do have something to add though, TSMC have 3 main fabrication plants spread over Taiwan, all 3 of these pants were hit with severe water shortages following a 35% decline from the average rainfall for the first quarter over 2010-2020. The shortage led the government to introduce water rationing for households and businesses in April 2021. Fabrication requires a lot of water so this would have also contributed and exaggerated the issues that TSMC are facing.
Furthermore, there's a war going on in the South China Sea. China pissed off many countries in that area, the sea, according to China - is owned by China, sooo... another shortage? Fish. Taiwan and China are at each other's throats because China "wants Taiwan back."

I can name so many problems right now affecting the shipment of goods from, and to countries that need the chips. Right now, the two top locations are China and Taiwan.

The point I'm trying to make with the political talk is it affects everyone. So, its going to be bad for a while. Not a few months.. Sony even announced that the PlayStation 5 stock issues will be solved in 2022, as they make more PS5 consoles.
Also knowing this is not going to take us any closer to getting a GPU.
It won't, but at least we know what's the hold-up.

KeyboardDemon

Read: Scalping.
It looks that way, but I'll add a small disclaimer here.

There are a lot of middle men in the supply chain from chipmaker (nVidia in this case) to board maker, then distributor and finally retailer.

Product Managers work at each stage of the chain, they are the ones the negotiate terms and are most likely the people that are arranging bulk deals for crypto miners.

I suspect the retailer in question here is probably selling the GPU with the normal markup rate but is being forced to buy from distribution at a scalped price.

There are cards that are going for 3x the MSRP, a 30% increase seems to be less unreasonable than a 300% markup, but if the retailer has no stock the advertised price is irrelevant IMHO.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements