• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

The Torment Of Tantulus

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
OMG this is driving me to drink!!! Well, actually more of a short walk...

So this RTX 2080ti is being wanky... I'll boot up my Win10 machine.. It will boot into Windows and then once the video card "engages" (for lack of a better term) I get a black screen..

I have re-installed Windows twice... Used latest NVIDIA drivers.. I have set the BIOS to UEFI Secure Boot and disabled FASTBOOT.. Nothing seems to fix it..

It's maddening!!

Apparently, it's a widespread issue..

I should also point out that it's done this on 2 different motherboards...

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Closing in on the issue...

I did a fresh install of Windows 10. An earlier version..

In the process of doing an update to Win 10 Pro 20H2, the computer reboots and then hangs on a black screen with a LED Code of 62 on the PX979 Pro MB... According to ASUS, that error code indicates a GPU issue...

So, I am thinking the problem is with Win 10 v 20H2...

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Closing in on the issue...

I did a fresh install of Windows 10. An earlier version..

In the process of doing an update to Win 10 Pro 20H2, the computer reboots and then hangs on a black screen with a LED Code of 62 on the PX979 Pro MB... According to ASUS, that error code indicates a GPU issue...

So, I am thinking the problem is with Win 10 v 20H2...
There's another big update after that. 21H1 fixes many problems, so have a secondary monitor or graphics cards.

So, before the back screen, find a new version of 20H2, update it until you reach 21H1. Then upgrade your graphics/monitor drivers.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Yea, I found a copy of Win10 21H1...

Try to install it and I am getting a WINDOWS CAN'T INSTALL. MAKE SURE THE INSTALL DEVICE IS STILL AVAILABLE error...

I am thinking maybe put in a different video card, do the 21H1 install and then put in the RTX2080...

OK I am getting a little crazy here.. Installing Windows 7 and using Win7 Nvidia Drivers... We'll see...

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
Also check for a GPU BIOS update and if the RTX2080ti you're using has either a standard and performance switch or for 2 BIOS modes, then try toggling that switch.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Here is the current ROM info..

Sign-On Message : PG150 SKU 31 VGA BIOS
Build GUID : 0D950AC7FB1F4DDDBB2EAA270BD9428F
IFR Subsystem ID : 3842-2281
Subsystem Vendor ID : 0x3842
Subsystem ID : 0x2281
Version : 90.02.0B.40.82
Image Hash : 1D13FAEE48192A230ADA9D07FC6F8159
Product Name : GPU Board
Device Name(s) : Graphics Device
Board ID : 0x0050
Vendor ID : 0x10DE
Device ID : 0x1E04
Hierarchy ID : Normal Board
Chip SKU : 300-0
Project : G150-0031
Build Date : 08/20/18
Modification Date : 10/08/18
UEFI Version : 0x50005 ( x64 )
UEFI Variant ID : 0x0000000000000009 ( TU1xx )
UEFI Signer(s) : Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011
XUSB-FW Version ID : 0x70060003
XUSB-FW Build Time : 2018-08-29 01:55:05
InfoROM Version : G001.0000.02.04
InfoROM Backup : Present
License Placeholder : Present
GPU Mode : N/A
CEC OTA-signed Blob : Not Present

"Now, I don't know what all that means, but it sounds pretty bad."
-Tom Cruise, A FEW GOOD MEN

I should also probably note that I can boot up in SAFE MODE and everything seems to work OK..

KeyboardDemon

"Now, I don't know what all that means, but it sounds pretty bad."
-Tom Cruise, A FEW GOOD MEN

I should also probably note that I can boot up in SAFE MODE and everything seems to work OK..
"If that's the situation, that's fine. I won't tell anyone." - Also from A FEW GOOD MEN

Start with make and model of the GPU, then use GPU-Z to identify what BIOS is installed on the GPU and check your existing BIOS version against the latest available version on the manufacturer's website, update if your version is older.

The BIOS version for my MSI 2070 Super GPU is BIOS: 90.04.95.00.58 which I got from MSI Afterburner, but installation for that is more complicated than using GPU-Z, the only clues about the BIOS in that message you posted are possibly here:

Build Date : 08/20/18
Modification Date : 10/08/18
UEFI Version : 0x50005 ( x64 )
UEFI Variant ID : 0x0000000000000009 ( TU1xx )
UEFI Signer(s) : Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011
XUSB-FW Version ID : 0x70060003
XUSB-FW Build Time : 2018-08-29 01:55:05
I think you would find the information in GPU-Z far more useful and a lot easier to read.

Safe mode starts with Microsoft's own drivers, that suggests a driver issue with the GPU drivers in Windows under normal operation, but that might be a result of new drivers and old BIOS conflicts, but I do say MIGHT, so take this with a pinch of salt. No warranties given, expressed, implied etc... any suggestions followed are at your own risk, yadda yadda, and then some. If it don't work, it's not my fault and all other usual disclaimers apply.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Safe mode starts with Microsoft's own drivers, that suggests a driver issue with the GPU drivers in Windows under normal operation, but that might be a result of new drivers and old BIOS conflicts, but I do say MIGHT, so take this with a pinch of salt. No warranties given, expressed, implied etc... any suggestions followed are at your own risk, yadda yadda, and then some. If it don't work, it's not my fault and all other usual disclaimers apply.

Captain Ramsey: Interesting way you put that.
Commander Hunter: How'd I put it, sir?
Captain Ramsey: Very carefully.
-Crimson Tide

:D

I'll check out CPU-Z Thanx..

OK First problem.. When I run CPU-Z I get this:

ERROR CODE 0X43C (1084) OCCURED DURING INITIALIZATION

1633088783231.png

This is the logfile on the error..

[bInitDriver] path = C:\Windows\temp
[bInitDriver] GetCurrentDirectory = C:\Program Files\CPUID\CPU-Z
[bInitDriver] GetModuleFileName = C:\Program Files\CPUID\CPU-Z\cpuz.exe
[vGetOSVersion] m_iOSVersion = 2 (10.0), SHA2 = 1
[vGetOSVersion] IsAMD64=0, IsIA64=0, IsAlpha=0, IsARM=0, SHA2=1
[bInitDriver] Extract dir = C:\Windows\temp\cpuz152\
[bInitDriver] m_szPath_2=C:\Windows\temp\cpuz152\, m_szFilename=cpuz152_x64.sys
[WinNT_hCreateServiceHandle] CreateFile cpuz152 returned 2 (0x2)
[WinNT_bInstallDriver] szMachineName = DESKTOP-EN2LN3L
[bDeleteFile] DeleteFile C:\Windows\temp\cpuz152\cpuz152_x64.sys failed (error = 3)
[bDeleteFile] RemoveDirectory C:\Windows\temp\cpuz152\ failed (error = 2)
[dwExtract_SYS] Extract C:\Windows\temp\cpuz152\cpuz152_x64.sys
[dwExtract_SYS] File C:\Windows\temp\cpuz152\cpuz152_x64.sys successfully created
[WinNT_bCreateService] szDestName = C:\Windows\temp\cpuz152\cpuz152_x64.sys
[WinNT_bCreateService] CreateService succeeded
[WinNT_bStartService] StartService failed, error code = 1084
[bInitDriver] bInitDriver returned 1084
[WinNT_dwStopService] OpenService failed, errorcode = 1060
[WinNT_dwDeleteService] Openservice failed, errorcode = 1060
[bDeleteFile] DeleteFile C:\Windows\temp\cpuz152\cpuz152_x64.sys succeeded
[bDeleteFile] RemoveDirectory C:\Windows\temp\cpuz152\ succeeded
[vCloseDriver] CloseHandle(mutex) = 1

And then there is no info in the GRAPHICS Tab of CPU-Z

I am assuming that I have to be out of SAFE MODE to run CPU Z???

KeyboardDemon

Bro GPU-Z not CPU-Z, we're looking at your graphics card.

I got to go to work, if I wasn't in a hurry, I'd look for a fun movie quote to continue this hollywood back and forth. ;)

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
DOH!!! It's early! heh

OK I'll have some more info later.. I am also setting up GOOGLE REMOTE DESKTOP to see if I can access the desktop remotely when the 2080 is installed.. Get an idea of what might be going on when the screen is black..

Thanx for all the help.. :D

OK Made some progress..

First.. My GPU-Z screen..

gpuz.jpg

Booted up in SAFE MODE and uninstalled the video drivers..

Booted up fine regular with the BASIC MICROSOFT ADAPTER as my video card driver..

Tried to install 472. Nvidia Drivers.. Said the package I have is not compatible with my Windows Version..

So, went into device manager and manually installed the video drivers.. The drivers were from Feb of 2021, but they installed properly...

Rebooted and everything was fine.. Loaded up a game.. Was pretty decent. Wracked up 3 kills in the first few mins... Then screen locked up. DIRECT X DEV 6068 error.. :( Usually means outdated drivers..

Rebooted.. Booted up into Windows OK..

Did another manual install of current (Sep 2021) Nvidia Drivers.. This where it usually pukes..

Rebooted.. Worked fine.. Boots into Windows great...

Loaded up a game.. Again, did pretty decent.. 3 kills on the warm up and the afore mentioned Chopper Kill in the regular game.. A few mins into the regular game.. Black screen.. Moved over to my wife's workstation and, using REMOTE DESKTOP, was able to get into my gamer station for a minute.. Then my computer rebooted...

Again, booted into Windows just fine.. Loaded up another game.. While waiting for the game to start, black screen.. Then reboot...

That's where I am at now.. It APPEARS to be fine when I just web surf or post excruciatingly detailed forum posts... :D

But when I load up WarZone, it pukes...

Gonna try one more game, then off to work...

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Played another game.. MW2019 this time.. Halfway thru the match, it locked up..

But it's now booting up into Windows.. So, that's progress..

Like CODForums!

Advertisements