• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

DISASTER STRIKES!!!!

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
So, I had pulled my MB out of the case to put on some good Thermal Paste and cinch the CPU Cooler down good and solid.. Put the MB back in the case...

Didn't work.. Totally dead... :(

Futz'ed with it for a couple hours.. Tried diff PSUs.. Confirmed that the current 1000W PSU is perfectly functional..

So I drove all the way back to my shop to pick up my reflow gear.. Brought it home, put the MB on the reflow.. Breathed life back into it!! :D

Powered up....

Waited.... BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CPU ERROR.... Oh FRAK!!!!! CPU is fried... :( A motherboard, I could probably finagle a new one from the boss (wife-boss, not boss-boss..) A new CPU?? No way in hell..

So, long story short... (TOO LATE! :D)

I inspected the CPU socket and, though I tried to be as careful as I possibly could....

I bent a pin... :(
bentpin.jpg

I tried bending it back (no small feat, I can assure you...) but I ended up breaking it..

So, my system is barely alive..

"But we can rebuild him.. We have the technology.. We can make him better then he was before. Better... Faster... Stronger..."
-The Six Million Dollar Man Intro

All is not lost..

But I wanted to get some input on a new MB..

The parameters are:

I have to stay within a $65 price range (+/- 10 bucks)

It must be compatible with my CPU and Memory. LGA1151 and

memory.jpg

Be nice if it is better than what I had..

I have my eye on this one:

As I am partial to ASUS...

I need to order today... Before the wife changes her mind or remembers a bill we have to pay..

SO.... Any suggestions??

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Thanx for that... Good info..

I actually attempted that and thought I did a pretty good job... I only have 3.25 mag specs so I really wasn't able to get down close... Eyesight.. The SECOND thing to go when yer getting old.. heh :D

But tweaking it so much, I eventually broke off the pin.. So it's probably not fixable now...

I kick myself as that is ALWAYS the number one thing to look out for when pulling a Core i CPU.. In that, AMD has the right idea with conventional CPU sockets..

On the plus side, I get an ASUS replacement so that's good.. I love ASUS products :D

It's going to be here Weds, so I can survive 2 days... BARELY... Hehehe :D

Thanx again...

freakdaddy64

Recruit
well you say you broke pin on cpu so wouldnt that need to be replaced also. sounds like an oppurtunity to go amd to me.

freakdaddy64

Recruit

make it happen you wont regret it.

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
Thanx for that... Good info..

I actually attempted that and thought I did a pretty good job... I only have 3.25 mag specs so I really wasn't able to get down close... Eyesight.. The SECOND thing to go when yer getting old.. heh :D

But tweaking it so much, I eventually broke off the pin.. So it's probably not fixable now...

I kick myself as that is ALWAYS the number one thing to look out for when pulling a Core i CPU.. In that, AMD has the right idea with conventional CPU sockets..

On the plus side, I get an ASUS replacement so that's good.. I love ASUS products :D

It's going to be here Weds, so I can survive 2 days... BARELY... Hehehe :D

Thanx again...
A bent pin is a bent pin, regardless of whether the pin is on an Intel mobo or AMD CPU.

When an Intel mobo was significantly cheaper than the CPU it made sense to put the pins on the mobo as this would be easier to replace than a more costly CPU.

Now, because of the crazy requirements people have and overall spec creep, we now find that a mobo and CPU can both be priced at similar levels with top end mobos selling for over $700 US.

As for swapping to an AMD based CPU/mobo combination, I think @AntiCheatAgent94 already knows my view on this, but for the rest of you I think where hardware changes are absolutely required then yes, make that change. In this case, where a perfectly healthy CPU is available, the only change required is for the damaged mobo to be replaced.

When we are this close to seeing DDR5 becoming the next major development in hardware, I would not recommend making platform changes until DDR5 has had a chance to become established, I think people should wait until DDR5 is as cheap as DDR4 and the speeds are closer to the theoretical max before rebuilding a new system.

If it were me, then I would be looking out for bargain mobos from PC enthusiasts that are upgrading to 11th or 12th Gen Intel systems and selling off their 9th Gen CPUs and mobos to fund their new purchases.

New, a Gigabyte B365M mobo might be available for less than $50, an AMD CPU and Mobo will be closer to $200 and maybe even over $300.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
A bent pin is a bent pin, regardless of whether the pin is on an Intel mobo or AMD CPU.

It's my understanding (@freakdaddy64 Correct me if I am wrong) that AMD uses conventional sockets, not the funky pin arrangement that INTEL uses...
As for swapping to an AMD based CPU/mobo combination, I think @AntiCheatAgent94 already knows my view on this, but for the rest of you I think where hardware changes are absolutely required then yes, make that change. In this case, where a perfectly healthy CPU is available, the only change required is for the damaged mobo to be replaced.

Yea, that's the determining factor for me... Since I have the CPU and Memory already, an MB replacement is financially doable... If I had fried the CPU then a replacement would have been out of reach, regardless of whether it was INTEL or AMD..

make it happen you wont regret it.

Someday soon, maybe... But I am kinda hardware locked with 2 of the 3 working components I already have on hand..

KeyboardDemon

It's my understanding (@freakdaddy64 Correct me if I am wrong) that AMD uses conventional sockets, not the funky pin arrangement that INTEL uses...
I'm not sure that conventional is the right word in this context, as it suggests everyone does it the conventional way and Intel deviates from the norm.

There are two standards, PGA and LGA, for having the pins on the chip or having the pins on the socket, but either way there are delicate pins that need to be handled with care.

I've bent pins on more than one CPU, I've only built a couple of Intel based PCs, and so far have avoided damage to pins on the mobo. It is worth noting that Intel mobos ship with a plastic plate over the socket and if you ever have to RMA your mobo the socket needs to be present or the RMA will be rejected.

The safest standard was for slot based CPUs, where the processor was mounted on a card and the card was mounted into a slot, a bit like a GPU. I don't think this is a good solution for modern computer designs though, it was phased out with the introduction of 32-bit hardware.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
I am too lazy to find the appropriate graphics, but as I understand CPUs, the INTEL CPUs have the pins on the socket and the connections on the CPU are pads that make contact with the pins by pressure...

The AMD has the pins on the CPU and those pins plug into the socket on the MB..

Of course, I could be totally wrong here.. Been known to happen.. :D

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Well, apparently I have been born under an unlucky sign...

New Motherboard arrived today...

Hooked everything up VERY carefully.... Powers up.. No boot.. :(

I get a short low volume beep which sounds like a normal BIOS boot up beep. Then I get 1 LONG 3 SHORT loud beeps... Then I get a single short beep that's louder than the first beep but also sounds like a normal BIOS beep... The HD LED flickers as if the computer is booting up normally...

According to various GOOGLE hits, for ASUS 1 LONG 3 SHORT means a VGA ISSUE

BIOS Beeps.jpg

For the purposes "One Continuous Beep" means LONG BEEP...

Pulled the RTX and just used the ON BOARD video.. Same thing... NO Video... I have swapped the RAM out in every possible combination... No luck... Did a RESET/BIOS CLR... No luck...

At a couple points, I get what sounded like 3 LONG BEEPS instead of 1 LONG, 3 SHORT... But I am not sure what I did to get it to do that..

The only thing I can think of is that my RAM is not compatible with my MB..

This is the motherboard..

And this is my RAM..

memory.jpg

The only other conclusion is that, just my luck, I got a bad board...

Anyone have any ideas??

KeyboardDemon

Disconnect everything from mobo except, CPU and cooler, 1 stick of ram, keyboard, mouse, and use your GPU as 9400F has no integrated graphics, make sure you plug power into the GPU and try starting up to go into bios.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
from what i see the mobo memory

Intel® B365 Chipset
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
** Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
* The maximum memory frequency supported varies by processor
** DDR4 2666MHz and higher memory modules will run at max. 2666MHz on Intel® 8th and 9th Gen. 6-core or higher processors.

your memory is 3000 so i dont think it matches unless you can go in bios and set your memory to one of these speeds

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Disconnect everything from mobo except, CPU and cooler, 1 stick of ram, keyboard, mouse,

Yea, tried that.. :( Pulled all the connections from the MB... Everything off except the main power connector and the INTEL power connector.. Same result.. :(

and use your GPU as 9400F has no integrated graphics, make sure you plug power into the GPU and try starting up to go into bios.

I just had a horrible thought..

I am getting a VGA error... As you point out, my CPU has no integrated graphics, but the MB DOES have onboard graphic capability..

Is it possible that because the MB has integrated graphics, that it's not compatible with a CPU that DOESN'T have integrated graphics??

I am going to check the CPU Compatibility....

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Nope.. That's not it..

asusTUF-1.jpg

Right there at the top.. Core i5-9400F.. That page looks familiar so I think I checked that before I bought the MB..

Least I did SOMETHING right.. :^/

I've hit a brick wall here...

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
from what i see the mobo memory

Intel® B365 Chipset
** DDR4 2666MHz and higher memory modules will run at max. 2666MHz on Intel® 8th and 9th Gen. 6-core or higher processors.

your memory is 3000 so i dont think it matches unless you can go in bios and set your memory to one of these speeds

So I am thinking my next step is to buy a stick or two of known compatible DDR4 and see if that boots up my TUF...

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Intel® B365 Chipset

This is the memory specs for the old GIGABYTE MB that I had the RAM sticks in..

1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR4 2666/2400/2133 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  5. Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules
  6. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
    * To support 2666 MHz or XMP memory, you must install a 9th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i9/i7/i5 processor.

Looks pretty much the same...

Looking closer at my setup, I DO have one oddball memory stick

RAM-2.jpg

I know it's not a good idea to mix RAM types, but this one stick DOES appear to match the RAM Compatibility of the ASUS TUF...

And I have tried using just this one stick with the same result.. Unless I need a pair for this MB to boot...

Like CODForums!

Advertisements