• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Fatal Error, crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuadDamage

Recruit
I'm getting 'Fatal Error' crashing when I play sometimes. I can maybe play 4-5 matches sometimes, but eventually get these errors. The game closes, Windows OS is fine.

I was hoping todays update would fix the issue, but still crashing.

This started when I bought a new PC:

- GPU: Nvidia Gforce RTX 3060 Ti graphics card from MSI
- RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 8gb 3200 MHz (16 GB total)
- CPU: Intel i7-11700F
- Motherboard: Gigabyte B560 DS3H AC

I'm running a Corsair liquid cpu cooler. Resources are good, temps normal.

I've updated Win10 to the latest version and installed all updates including Nvidia driver. Disabled Ray Tracing, limited refresh rates, tried turning down graphics quality. Nothing seems to effect the crash rate.

This only happens with Cold War. I was getting some crashing with Modern Warfare, but that seems to be fixed by limiting refresh rate.

Any help appreciated.

Windows Errors:

Faulting application name: BlackOpsColdWar.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61bcdac0
Faulting module name: BlackOpsColdWar.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61bcdac0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000d658e96
Faulting process id: 0x4d90
Faulting application start time: 0x01d801eb4384bec3
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War\BlackOpsColdWar.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War\BlackOpsColdWar.exe
Report Id: 12cfc8fc-2c78-45fd-bede-6735d0d5897d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Attachments

• COD Error.JPG
    COD Error.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 4
  • COD Error2.JPG
    COD Error2.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 4
  • COD Error3.JPG
    COD Error3.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 2
  • COD Error4.JPG
    COD Error4.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 4

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
Just COD Black Ops and Modern Warfare. Though I don't play many other games. Usually about 95% COD.

I did play Doom Eternal for about an hour yesterday, no crashes.
If it was an issue with your GPU then it would be present in Doom Eternal too, if was temperature related then Doom Eternal would also cause issues with temperature in the same way as CoD.

The line in your Error report shows the actual error code:

The exception code 0xc0000005 indicates a memory access violation.

I have found fixes for this issue ranging from checking your RAM with Memtest86+ through to using data recovery tools and a system restore. You can get more information here.

There are 8 suggestions on that list, try as many as you feel comfortable with trying yourself, but keep in mind that some options could lead to a loss of data or may require re-installation of key software from your PC, including CoD.

QuadDamage

Recruit
If it was an issue with your GPU then it would be present in Doom Eternal too, if was temperature related then Doom Eternal would also cause issues with temperature in the same way as CoD.

The line in your Error report shows the actual error code:

The exception code 0xc0000005 indicates a memory access violation.

I have found fixes for this issue ranging from checking your RAM with Memtest86+ through to using data recovery tools and a system restore. You can get more information here.

There are 8 suggestions on that list, try as many as you feel comfortable with trying yourself, but keep in mind that some options could lead to a loss of data or may require re-installation of key software from your PC, including CoD.

That makes sense. I downloaded memtest and will let it run overnight.

This is a new PC and I have backups, so no worries if something breaks.

QuadDamage

Recruit
What were your Memtest86+ results?

I let it memtest run all night last night + a few hours at a time during the day. No errors.

I also turned down some of the effects in BOCW: Turned off ray tracing and turned some of the effects from ultra to high. I had it like that for a two days and it didn't crash.

Turned ray tracing back on and all the effects back up last night. My second game it actually had a BSOD and rebooted. It's never done that before, usually just crashes the game and goes back to the desktop.

So maybe it is the video card? They're sending me a new one already. Should have it in the next couple days hopefully.

Here's the BSOD error. Nothing captured in the windows system log other than unclean shut down. Got this using 'bluescreen view'.

Dump File : 010822-6218-01.dmp
Crash Time : 1/8/2022 10:12:53 PM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x00000050
Parameter 1 : fffff802`878ebaaf
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000010
Parameter 3 : fffff802`878ebaaf
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000002
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+3f70d0
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+3f70d0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\010822-6218-01.dmp
Processors Count : 16
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 19041
Dump File Size : 1,654,836
Dump File Time : 1/8/2022 10:13:27 PM
==================================================

So at this point, thinking I'll swap the video card and see if that helps. If not, might just exchange the whole PC for another.

Forgot to mention: I also ran the 'Windows memory diagnostic' which didn't find any errors.

Didn't mention in the OP: The PC came with Windows 11. After the first couple crashes, I wiped/reloaded with Windows 10 which didn't seem to effect the crash rate.

KeyboardDemon

Do you know how to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures?

I think it would be handy to know if there is a temperature issue or to eliminate that as a potential issue in the same way we have eliminated faulty RAM.

QuadDamage

Recruit
I have been checking the temps with CPUID HW Monitor, seems normal. CPU temp high of 74C.

GPU shows a hot spot max of 81.

I had the gpu temp display on during a few matches. I don't usually remember to look, but saw after 3 matches it was at 66 near the end of the match.

Attached an export of CPUID.

Attachments

• HWMonitor.txt
    173.7 KB · Views: 1

KeyboardDemon

Your temperatures are well within range, so it can't be temps.

So we will just have to wait and see what happens after the GPU swap, the only possible issues that remain after that are motherboard and PSU as you've ruled out Windows by trying two different versions of the OS.

QuadDamage

Recruit
This ended up being fixed by updating the motherboard bios. I thought it was up to date already, but Gigabyte's website is a little confusing. There are two mobos that come up when you type 'B560 DS3H' and neither is the right one. Had to find it using a google search...

If someone finds this by searching for Gigabyte B560 DS3H AC :
Make sure you have bios version F6 or higher. I had F4 and which they have now deleted from their website due to crashing.

I ended up keeping the original graphics card because the replacement was have some fan noise. Luckily it started acting up before sending the original back.

I've turned up the graphics quality to the highest (ultra for some) and turned ray tracing on. No crashing since the bios update.

Thanks again to @KeyboardDemon for your suggestions.

itachi02

Recruit
hey, i have almost the same probleme with my games, i changed my graphic card a week ago, i switched from a r9 270x to a rtx 3060 from gigabyte, i installed the latest drivers and uninstall the drivers from my r9, and after that, warzone, vanguard, cold war, doom eternal and cyberpunk were crashing at launch, with this message error for warzone and vanguard: 0xc0000005 (0) N nvwgf2umx.dll
i tried for a week to solve this probleme, i looked on internet, i even updated my bios but as far nothing worked
so i hope someone know how to solve my probleme and will help me.

QuadDamage

Recruit
hey, i have almost the same probleme with my games, i changed my graphic card a week ago, i switched from a r9 270x to a rtx 3060 from gigabyte, i installed the latest drivers and uninstall the drivers from my r9, and after that, warzone, vanguard, cold war, doom eternal and cyberpunk were crashing at launch, with this message error for warzone and vanguard: 0xc0000005 (0) N nvwgf2umx.dll
i tried for a week to solve this probleme, i looked on internet, i even updated my bios but as far nothing worked

What brand of PC do you have? I would start with updating all drivers including the bios.

KeyboardDemon

There is a utility that will completely remove all traces of graphics card drivers called DDU. Find this, install it and then uninstall the R9 drivers using DDU, restart, then uninstall the nVidia drivers, restart, then install the latest nVidia drivers from scratch.

That should fix your issues, if the 0x0000005 error still persists after that then let us know, but I think the solution I've suggested should do it.

itachi02

Recruit
There is a utility that will completely remove all traces of graphics card drivers called DDU. Find this, install it and then uninstall the R9 drivers using DDU, restart, then uninstall the nVidia drivers, restart, then install the latest nVidia drivers from scratch.

That should fix your issues, if the 0x0000005 error still persists after that then let us know, but I think the solution I've suggested should do it.
i just tried this but it didn't work idk why but i still got the error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements