• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Need help with game location

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraUK

Recruit
Hi Guys I have to replace my C Drive no problem with that, it's just my Coldwar game isn't installed on it but on another hard drive, but I am sure there is a folder or a reg key on the C drive that the game needs to be able to run, so can someone tell me where and what I need to save to be able to copy back once I have reinstalled windows to save having to reinstall Coldwar, please?

freakdaddy64

Recruit
how do you launch the game? through battlenet, geforce experience or what. when you install new c drive you should be able to create path to launch from whatever drive its on. if im wrong some please correct.

example. i just changed out mobo and use a m.2 for boot drive and a m.2 for second drive. and i have steam on boot but i loaded games on 2nd drive so when i start up stem on boot and launch game it launches from 2nd drive.

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
Yes, like @freakdaddy64 said, game install does not have to be on the boot drive you can install it on any drive.

You can find your main installation folder for the game and copy and paste it to a new location then using the locate game feature in the Battlenet Launcher just find the folder and let the launcher rebuild the required registry entries. The process takes just a few minutes and is much better then uninstall/reinstall.

CobraUK

Recruit
Hi guys, yes I know I can install the game on any drive, and that's what I said in my first post, and I have got it installed on another drive, its the c drive part of the question I need to know, as I have had to reinstall windows before and wasn't able to run the game after and I have had to reinstall it again, so that's why I think there is something on the C Drive a reg key folder etc that needs tp be copied and reinstalled back on the refreshed C Drive?

KeyboardDemon

As I said in my previous answer, use the locate installation option on the Battlenet Launcher and it will add anything that's missing from your C: drive so that you can run the game as normal.

Take a look at the locate files option now, look at how you can navigate through folders and maybe even try a test run by copying your game files to a new location and then use it to move the game on Battlenet, it is really easy and a great feature that I don't think any other launcher has.

KeyboardDemon

@KeyboardDemon where is that locate files option please I can't find it
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, I've been away from my PC so I couldn't check the steps, but here goes:

1: launch Battlenet
2: In All Games section click once on War Zone
3: Hit the gear icon next to the Play button
4: Click on Game settings where you should see the install location of the game, mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty Modern Warfare
5: If you have already moved/copied your game files to a new location click the Use a Different Folder button
6: Browse through to the new folder location and follow the directions on your screen from there

CobraUK

Recruit
Thanks m8 but Locating where it's installed isn't a problem I know that, its if anything is installed on C drive that is needed for the game to run ? but I will go ahead and copy everything that is named for COD before I format the new C drive and hope it works after if not I will just have to redownload and start again, thanks for the help

KeyboardDemon

Thanks m8 but Locating where it's installed isn't a problem I know that, its if anything is installed on C drive that is needed for the game to run ? but I will go ahead and copy everything that is named for COD before I format the new C drive and hope it works after if not I will just have to redownload and start again, thanks for the help
The way it has worked for me is that the Use a different location file has done everything for me, but if the game doesn't work you still have the check game files option and this replaces missing or corrupted files.

CobraUK

Recruit
Ok thanks I will get back to this once I have changed my hard drive, going to be a few days as I have just had another job come in that I need to do before that can happen, work before play lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements