• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Tactical Gaming

new rig up aand running

This is about setting up your scaling for rendering your graphics, 100% means that the image rendered by your GPU is the image that gets rendered on your screen, but you could render at 4k and the downscale to 1080p which would give you a sharper image but that extra rendering work before downscaling will have a negative impact on your image quality. Rendering at 720p and upscaling to 1080p would mean that your graphics card works faster but it will come at the cost of the image quality when a 720p image is upscaled to 1080p.

This is how Geforce Experience explains it:
View attachment 1022
correct the lower the redering the higher fps the higher the redering the lower fps, lower 180 fps and above at 100 percent i get 130 to 140 im good with that i dont care about overclocking so i think ive the middle of the road that is accepable for me.

Tactical Gaming

DizzyDemon

Recruit
I tend to leave mine at 100%, downscaling looks good but I don't have the power to render at a higher res in order to downscale, and upscaling makes the game too grainy, which I really don't like.

my temps started runniing a little hot im thinkin wtf!!!!!! then after lookin at different things i found i had mobo in performance mode lmao,went back to balance mode and now they were i like them hehe.

DizzyDemon

Recruit
Were you able to see improvements in performance when your mobo was set to performance mode?

It would be really annoying to think that all performance mode does is generate higher temperatures.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

DizzyDemon

Recruit
Over the last week, I have been looking at my build plans, and today I came back to your build and noticed that you have made some really good choices, namely your CPU and CPU cooler.

I think I, like many others, have been taken in by the idea that the AMD Ryzen 3600X would be significantly better than the Ryzen 3600 and I was planning on building with either the 3600X or if I could stretch my budget a 3700X. You opted for the best option, here's why.

The 3700X costs around twice as much as the 3600 but doesn't offer twice the performance in gaming, for my use and quite possible your use it is a really expensive option that doesn't offer a significantly better return in extra performance when considering the extra costs to buy it.

The 3600X costs about 24% more than the 3600 (based on current prices) it is clocked a higher but in all tests that I looked at online I was seeing an average of a 2% gain in performance when gaming, that means if a 3600 was achieving 100 fps in a game, the 3600X would get 102 fps, I very much doubt I would notice or miss the extra 2 frames.

I will notice how the 24% saving will allow me to get a better CPU cooler, to help keep the temps and fan noise down. You have shared videos and I went back to look at a few of those and OMG, you are running at temps below 60 degrees, which is fantastic.

I am seriously thinking about getting the AMD Wraith Prism cooler with a 3600 CPU, that's a 105-watt cooler on a 65-watt CPU, so it should easily cope with cooling, but unlike upright tower heatsinks, this down-firing cooler has the fan mounted to push the air going through on to the motherboard and surrounding components like mosfets and the ram. I think that this would make for a better-looking build as well, but I am also thinking about how the performance differs from some of the best budget coolers like the Cooler Master Hyper 212x and 212 Evo.

What are the noise levels like from your fans?

i dont hear anything very quiet but i run everything stock there is no overclocking and i dont raise the fans rpm, i was told before hand the ryzen cooler would probably be enough but i didnt want to take any chances with temp so i went ahead and bought the coolermaster 212 black rgb and its working great. when i reserched online and youtube opinions were the 3600x wasnt worth the xtra money so i went 3600 and had the xtra for coolermaster. i think i went middle of the road and still spent a little more then what i wanted but im very happy with it and since i have am4 socket i can do a very nice upgrade when im ready if im ever ready.

msi b450 tomahawk max from newegg thru ebay 114.00
ryzen 5 3600 from newegg thru ebey 179.99
gskill ripjawz 3200 two 8 gig sticks from newegg thru ebay 70.00

evga rtx ko 2060 ultra from best buy 309.99
nxzt 510 case from best buy 60.00 came with two fans and i added 2 antec blue fans

all together 733.98 which i think was well spent and not bad at all for rig we built.

my monitor i got at best buy on moms account 12 months no intrest acer 27 inch gamer 144 refresh borderless it was 329.99 but and its great and its freesync.

DizzyDemon

Recruit
There are some things I will do differently but after reading this:
when i reserched online and youtube opinions were the 3600x wasnt worth the xtra money so i went 3600
That's the same thing I've been reading, in fact I am finding it really hard to determine why AMD needed a 3600x in the first place.

msi b450 tomahawk max from newegg thru ebay 114.00
ryzen 5 3600 from newegg thru ebey 179.99
gskill ripjawz 3200 two 8 gig sticks from newegg thru ebay 70.00
evga rtx ko 2060 ultra from best buy 309.99
nxzt 510 case from best buy 60.00 came with two fans and i added 2 antec blue fans
all together 733.98 which i think was well spent and not bad at all for rig we built.
Some of the things I would do differently are mostly cosmetic and I will most probably spend a lot more on my case than I need to, but if I have to look at that case for the next few years then I want it to look great from the start.

I really wanted to get an RTX 2070 Super, but starting to think about getting a Power Color 5700XT Red Devil instead now, the RTX card costs 25% but will only return around 8% performance gain, maybe 9% if the game supports DLSS, which right now means just a handful of titles.

Also I will be adding a M.2 SSD now and later adding a larger HDD, something like a 2 to 4TB should be ok. I probably don't even need 2TB.

As for the CPU cooler, I have found a Wraith Prism at a reasonable price, so I ordered that today, it will be much better than the stock and hopefully within a few degrees of your cooler, I won't be overclocking either.

The B550 launch is in a couple of days, I'm hoping that this will give us news of the new XT processors, I am hoping that will give us price drops on existing motherboards including some of the X570 boards, which I think might be worth getting in case I add a more power-hungry CPU in a couple of years as some of the B450 boards don't support the Ryzen 9 processors.

my monitor i got at best buy on moms account 12 months no intrest acer 27 inch gamer 144 refresh borderless it was 329.99 but and its great and its freesync.
I have an ideal specification for my next monitor in mind, I don't know if a monitor exists that meets it, and I know I am a very, very, long way away from getting that. What I want is a 28" 4k IPS monitor, I don't mind running the monitor at 60hz for 4k, I wouldn't be gaming at the resolution, but I do want it to run 1080p at 144hz and 1440p at 120hz, I also want it to be Freesync and have HDR support, so that won't be cheap.

DizzyDemon

Recruit
IPS screens are definitely the way to go, imho.

I'll have to look into the B series motherboards more closely in that case, I like the idea of an X570 but I don't like that they need active cooling as this usually means small, high speed fans that generate a lot of noise.

In some of the previews for the B550 boards that I've seen the general feedback is, all that the B550 boards add is support for PCI-E 4 and M.2 SSD drives that can make use of this are rare and expensive. People that need expensive features like high speed M.2 drives won't be looking at budget boards, and I'm aiming at mid-range, so I think you're right, let's see how the prices change in 2 days when the B550s launch and again in July when the Ryzen XT CPUs launch, NDA for the XT CPUs should be lifted on Tuesday.

This is what I have planned already:

I'll be getting a Superflower Leadex iii 750-watt Gold PSU and the Wraith Prism cooler that I've already ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like it cant wait to see some pics when done,i looked at 550 and 450 like asrock asus but alot were out of stock and after researching msi 450 tomahawk it had great reviews so i went with it,looks like your going big with full size case and plenty of fans. i posted another video of my pc so you can hear how quiet it is. keep in mind when i move my phone to back side fan what you hear is air coming out the back not fan noise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCrLtLPjswk

DizzyDemon

Recruit
I only trust Asus, Gigabyte and MSi when it comes to motherboards, I don't really know enough about ASRock and EVGA don't make AMD boards.

That's a very quiet setup, well done.

I'm planning to put lots of fans and run them on low, 6 to pull air in and 3 to push heat out.

DizzyDemon

Recruit
When the temperature inside your case drops below the ambient room temperature the moisture in the air will condense and turn into liquid. The condensation will create massive problems for you, so you don't want to put an air conditioner next to the air intakes on your PC.

Having air conditioning to cool your room is not a bad idea, the cooler ambient air temperature in the room will reduce the temps in your enclosure as the fans draw in from the cooler air surrounding your PC.

That will keep your components running at lower temperatures, but it increases your running costs.

A positive side effect is that it will also make the room more comfortable for you too.

yes i thought about that i dont really think i need that cause shes a cool smooth running rig if i could just get more kills damn it!!!!!!

i prepay for 3 months and put up a counter strike condition zero server yesterday so gonna be playing that also used to have alot fun playing that some of my old clan buddies say they,ll play and if it doesnt stay somewhat steady ill take it down.

DizzyDemon

Recruit
I had my own CS1.16 server years ago, I built it using spare parts and was able to support up to 12 connected players before it got choked by my limited broadband connection.

It was a lot of fun, I had it set for gun game with an RPG style progression system and I had a few online companions that would help with basic scripts.

Having your own server takes gaming to another level, I'm sure you will really like running games on it and when you get a cheat on your server you can be god like and punish them by killing them at will.

DizzyDemon

Recruit
are gaming and what games do you play?
I got through phases of gaming for a good while and then backing off the gaming, I am playing more because of the pandemic situation, I am also doing more to look after my fitness, so lots of good stuff has come out of Covid-19.

Right now, I am only playing CoD:MW, I only got that game because I tried Warzone and the devs opened up MW for a weekend of Moshpit action, I got addicted to that too quickly and ended up buying the game, but no regrets, really enjoying it.

The games I have put the most time into over the years are:

• Alan Wake 1 & 2
  • Assassin Creed games (not played every game in the franchise)
  • Batman: Arkham trilogy
  • Battlefield (Bad Company 2, 3 and 4)
  • Borderlands (1 & 2, not the prequel and I started playing through 1 when I got the free upgrade to Enhanced version)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (it's where I first got into CoD games)
  • Crysis (I completed 1,2 and 3 single player, didn't really play a lot of the multiplayer though)
  • CS (1.16 and Go)
  • Dead Space (I have the trilogy but never finished the first)
  • Deus Ex - Human Revolution
  • Elder Scrolls: Obilivion
  • Far Cry 3 and 4 (not played 5 or even finished 4)
  • Geometry Wars
  • Half life (1, 2 & 3 - hahaha lol)
  • Hitman Absolution
  • Just Cause 2 & 3 (I didn't get 4)
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Medal of Honor
  • Metro 2033 (that was a real PC destroyer back in the day!)
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Need for Speed (Undercover, Ho Pursuit and Most Wanted)
  • Portal 1 & 2
  • Saints Row: The Third
  • Shadow Warrior
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Tomb Raider
  • Unreal Tournament
Sorry, I got a bit carried away, lol. But I've enjoyed thinking back over some of those fun times, it was a useful exercise though as it highlights to me that I am happy to play older DX11 and DX12 titles, I think too much coming out now is just updating 5-year-old games with slightly different stories and games mechanics but games aren't really bringing enough new ideas to my screen.

More importantly, I can see that I don't need to go much higher in terms of specs than the specs I am planning, as posted in my other thread.

What are you playing?

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Half life 2
That's all you need for PC.

That's all you need. :D

*Puts hand on heart*

I played that thing from start to the prison where I got stuck. With stereo speakers, no less. I don't care who's sleeping or whatnot. I'm playing that shit like it's my home theatre.

DizzyDemon

Recruit
That's all you need for PC.

That's all you need. :D

*Puts hand on heart*

I played that thing from start to the prison where I got stuck. With stereo speakers, no less. I don't care who's sleeping or whatnot. I'm playing that shit like it's my home theatre.
I hear you, but I think you mean Half Life 3, a trilogy has 3 parts, we are missing a part, my life feels incomplete!

Like CODForums!

Advertisements

Tactical Gaming