• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

upgrading

freakdaddy64

Recruit
I have a windows 7 disk I purchased new and then did free upgrade to 10,last install I had to call and get help and they got my cd key and installed 10 from their side,so this usb thing is going to be a first for me.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I have a windows 7 disk I purchased new and then did free upgrade to 10,last install I had to call and get help and they got my cd key and installed 10 from their side,so this usb thing is going to be a first for me.
Well, your motherboard has a bios, so the idea is to execute from USB.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
so I install my windows 7 on 16 gb usb drive then hit the link you posted and do upgrade on top of that,then I will be able to to fresh install of 10 fron usb drive.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
so I install my windows 7 on 16 gb usb drive then hit the link you posted and do upgrade on top of that,then I will be able to to fresh install of 10 fron usb drive.
Mostly yes, except the fresh install from USB. You install win 7 first, upgrade to win 10 from there. In fact, you don't even need the link, he's just offering you options. You can look for updates in Win 7 interface and it will show win 10 upgrade, but you need to finish upgrading until your computer is 100% patched.

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
I think you can do a fresh install with Windows 10 and use your Windows 7 license key, but can't remember if that's true or just a vague recollection of something that Linus said in one of his videos.

I do know that the Windows 7 to Windows 10 route is still a thing, even though Microsoft aren't shouting it from the rooftops.

Sent from my Huawei P20 Pro using Tapatalk

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I think you can do a fresh install with Windows 10 and use your Windows 7 license key, but can't remember if that's true or just a vague recollection of something that Linus said in one of his videos.

I do know that the Windows 7 to Windows 10 route is still a thing, even though Microsoft aren't shouting it from the rooftops.

Still true. Though, I remiss if I don't mention it. Microsoft is trying to void old keys in circulation, to prevent pirated licenses, or copies. So, that win 7 copy may be invalid by the time you upgrade to win 10.

KeyboardDemon

Wow. No optical drives? PC gaming is going to be swallowed whole by Microsoft eventually. That's what I'm getting from this.
Think about what happens when you install any software from CD/DVD the first time you run it?

I think it would be fair to say that in over 95% of cases the first thing that happens after the installation is complete is that it will check for updates. When it finds an update it downloads the entire software package again and installs it. So why did you need the disk?

All you really needed was the license key, instead you wasted time getting a CD to install a software package and download the version you could have got sooner if you had ordered the digital copy.

Now even consoles are selling as digital only models and if the Courts in France are successful the French will soon be able to resell digital download license keys, in the same way customers can return games to Gamestop for exchange.

Big names including Microsoft, Symantec, McAfee, Adobe and more are moving towards digital only licenses and haves started selling software as a service which is charged as an annual or monthly subscription.

If CDs aren't obsolete yet, it won't be long.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Think about what happens when you install any software from CD/DVD the first time you run it?

I think it would be fair to say that in over 95% of cases the first thing that happens after the installation is complete is that it will check for updates. When it finds an update it downloads the entire software package again and installs it. So why did you need the disk?

All you really needed was the license key, instead you wasted time getting a CD to install a software package and download the version you could have got sooner if you had ordered the digital copy.

Now even consoles are selling as digital only models and if the Courts in France are successful the French will soon be able to resell digital download license keys, in the same way customers can return games to Gamestop for exchange.

Big names including Microsoft, Symantec, McAfee, Adobe and more are moving towards digital only licenses and haves started selling software as a service which is charged as an annual or monthly subscription.

If CDs aren't obsolete yet, it won't be long.

CD's I get, but DVD's and higher (DVDHD/Blu Ray HD/Ultra HD) can hold more data. I think digital-only is only going to cause inconvenience for 80% of players. People already hate games that have single and Multiplayer because developers/publishers put DRM in discs. So, if someone wants to play Modern Warfare Single Player, while online games are offline, they now can't play.

KeyboardDemon

CD's I get, but DVD's and higher (DVDHD/Blu Ray HD/Ultra HD) can hold more data. I think digital-only is only going to cause inconvenience for 80% of players. People already hate games that have single and Multiplayer because developers/publishers put DRM in discs. So, if someone wants to play Modern Warfare Single Player, while online games are offline, they now can't play.
Right, how inconvenient has Warzone been to download and how many updates have their been since it launched?

Imagine installing that from DVD at 4.7GB power disk, that's over 20 disks as most PC users didn't switch to Blu-ray or HD-DVD, so you'd have to aim at the lowest common denominator. Then if you didn't get that before the first patch that would be a significant update to download afterwards.

For console players, I'm pretty certain that the disc is simply a glorified verification key, the game won't run without it in the drive.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
imdoing the windows,screen pops up to open or save?

ok I downloaded windows 7 home premium its in mt downloads in a WinRAR file what do I do with it. unzip to the usb drive and how do I upgrade to 10.

ive downloaded windows 7 its in a WinRAR zip file do I actuall install it on usb drive and then download 10 upgrade on usb drive ,im not sure of sequence.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
imdoing the windows,screen pops up to open or save?

ok I downloaded windows 7 home premium its in mt downloads in a WinRAR file what do I do with it. unzip to the usb drive and how do I upgrade to 10.

ive downloaded windows 7 its in a WinRAR zip file do I actuall install it on usb drive and then download 10 upgrade on usb drive ,im not sure of sequence.
From the bios screen you're supposed to extract that same zip file. Then, from there, you install it. There is a command line to do all. Once done, you press right click anywhere on wallpaper, and look for something like display options. Once you're in display options, look for other option(s). In there - there should be an option to get updates.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
so I need to have the windows 7 zip on usb drive and when pc is built I boot from usb and go from there.i just downloaded windows 10,its on usb drive. the widows 7 has been verified from my cd key

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
so I need to have the windows 7 zip on usb drive and when pc is built I boot from usb and go from there.i just downloaded windows 10,its on usb drive. the widows 7 has been verified from my cd key
Yes, from usb to computer. Once on computer, extract the zip.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
ok windows 10 downloaded to flash drive so when ready I set usb drive as boot no 1 and it will boot right to windows,someone posted in Microsoft community that as long as I have a valid cd key all I need to do is install windows 10 and put my windows 7 cd key in and it will install and be good to go. when I downloaded windows 7 yesterday it ask for cd key to verify and it verified so I should be good to go. im building the new rig tomorrow night yeehaw. im going to be rocking some modern warfare lmao.

KeyboardDemon

Did you just download Windows and copy it to the USB stick or create installation media for Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media creation tool?

The first option will require more work to install from, the second option is designed to automate the process for you, hopefully, I have got this to you in time to help.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
Perfect, I was worried that I might have misguided you.

I think I'm good to go I just hope it don't take forever to download call of duty when I get ready

well thanks for help im off to my brothers to build new rig so next post will be from what im hoping to be the beast.
nzxt 510 case
thermaltake 700 watt smart series power supply
msi b450 tomahawk mobo
ryzen 5 3600 cpu coolermaster 212 rgb cooler
gskill ripjaw ddr4 3200 16 gb ram
evga ko rtx 2060 ultra graphics card

ill post pics

Like CODForums!

Advertisements