1. Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: WWII, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

What do you guys think when?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NickJ, Apr 9, 2013.

1. NickJ

NickJ Recruit

I hear that. I was raised on 2 Pac, scary movies, and Mortal Kombat. And I turned out just fine. And I'm a New Yorker so some people would say I had bad influences around me growing up with the city's gang culture, and teenagers in Manhattan clubs with fake ID's, the abundance of drugs available here in NYC, etc. But nope, I had good parents and they put me on the straight and narrow.

2. thethirdeye

thethirdeye Recruit

People just love pointing fingers. The real issue is, we should be figuring out WHY people feel the need to go on rampages, like why those emotions come up. You can't just blame gun control, Call of Duty, mental illnesses, etc...

3. NickJ

NickJ Recruit

Well other than bullying, some people are just cracked. Also mental health issues and guns don't mix. You have a lot of people who have crazy relatives or people living with them who're unstable. Yet they own guns and don't lock them up properly.

4. seafood

seafood Recruit

I think it's stupid that people believe that. If someone goes out and kills someone, it's because there's something wrong with the person. There are plenty of people all around the world who play games that involve killing and they don't go out and murder innocent people.

5. TheViper

TheViper Recruit

I think most people neglect what the parents are doing.

If you have a child who is 10 constantly playing call of duty. I would question what kind of parent lets their kid play a violent game?

6. NickJ

NickJ Recruit

Parents these days are busy though. So they feel any time the kids spend doing anything other than bothering them is productive. Especially when you are a single parent, or if dad works long hours. Or if there's no family or friends to dump the kids off on every now and then.

7. cyberian

cyberian Recruit

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I mean they completely ignore the fact that little johnny the shooter was also schizophrenic and was bullied at school, and the only thing you hear them saying is he killed people because of call of duty...

8. Veld

Veld Recruit

It makes me think that every single once of those incidents is an inside job. If the media never covered it, we would never have heard about the Newton shooting, or Colorado, or any other shooting. Example: Beslan, a Russian elementary school was attacked by terrorists and hundreds of kids were killed. Nobody here has heard about it.

9. NickJ

NickJ Recruit

That's probably because it happened in Russia. Also it was on the news here but you know how the media cycle works. Something bigger can always knock out something big. Remember how North Korea and possible war there was all the rage a few weeks ago? Then the Boston Bombings happened, and people just threw North Korea off a proverbial cliff to cover that story. Which had three parts, the bombing itself, the search for suspects, and the later ID of the suspects followed by the chase, shootout, and eventual surrender of the younger one.

10. NickJ

NickJ Recruit

Bullying is something people like to ignore because it makes people seem weak. Bullying goes on in schools, on jobs, etc. But as Americans we tell people who complain about bullying they're too politically correct, weak, or sensitive. Then that goes into the whole 'thicker skin" discussion. It's always easier to blame video games and movie violence. Just the way it is, sadly.

11. Tink1o5

Tink1o5 Recruit

I think it's ridiculous to blame a game for the violence in the world. People make their own decisions. What I think really needs to happen is more funds need to go the the mental hospitals to help people with mental disorders. It won't fix everything but its a start.

12. Unbel

Unbel Recruit

I would say it's just an excuse that parents use to prevent children from playing video games. There is scientific research out there proving that games do not play a major part in homicidal killings. Despite that, parents still make false claims without any proof that the violent acts are related to violent video games.

13. TRENHAILE

TRENHAILE Recruit

I remember when Doom was blamed for everything that happened in the real world. Personally, I don't think video games have anything to do with gun violence. If anything, I think video games are probably better "stress-relievers" than people give them credit for. I know for a fact that when I have a bad day, I can't wait to sit down and enjoy some video games.

14. strangel0ve

strangel0ve Recruit

It's correlation without causation. If there was a real empirical study that PROVED playing shooting games affected people violently and caused murder rates to increase, I would be the first one against such video games. But people forget that video games are, if anything, an outlet for these pent up frustrations and an escape from the boredom of everyday life, not a place where they replicate their real lives. They see that these murderers played video games and immediately draw a connection, what they regard as the ONLY connection, when these people grow up under a culture that accepts violence, where movies depict violence, TV shows depict violence, and there is almost no emphasis on gun regulation and background checks, and video games are to blame? This is when the argument breaks down.

15. eagle22

eagle22 Recruit

I don't think they should blame it on the game. I mean I kind of see their point but at the same time shouldn't their parents raise them better to know the difference between a video game and reality?

16. sarz

sarz Recruit

It makes me think, are people really that naïve? It's absolutely ridiculous that a game is used as the scapegoat. Especially before the question "where were the parents?" Not saying that they are to blame at all, just highlighting the point. Also is it not senseless to think that a game is to blame? What about all the senseless wars being fought and the disturbing coverage that is shown on the news? Why is that never highlighted as a possible factor?
    Perhaps because it sounds just as ridiculous.
    If someone can not differentiate between real life and fantasy they obviously have issues that need to be addressed. A game cannot be blamed for that, surely?

17. starfox64

starfox64 Recruit

Like many have already said, it's the fault of the parents. You simply shouldn't allow anyone under 16 in my opinion ever playing a COD game. Now, I'm not saying that I wasn't allowed. I think I begin playing shooters at around 13, but there are some kids that simply don't grasp the difference between video games and reality as well as others. Sadly, these kids already have parents who don't give a damn and let them play some game that might help to lead to something as disastrous as a murder. So, in short, the game is not to blame, it's the parents.

18. AndreiFL

AndreiFL Recruit

It has been proved that games don't make you aggressive at all, unless you are under 18. What they are telling us in the news are among the big exceptions of our society.

19. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Recruit

Yes I agree with you that these games have no fault in these crazy shootings. For one, Call of Duty teaches us to kill bad people or the enemy. Innocent people are not meant to be hurt but they must be saved from the enemy. Also if there is someone who crazily kills innocent people in a certain place then it is that person’s problem not the games. He must have a mental health disorder to be able to do that or just a sick and evil person. The game has nothing to do with it.

20. harpazo22

harpazo22 Recruit

I think it can have an effect on someone just depending on their personality and who they are. But I don't think they should be blamed, there are many other reasons why a person does what they do.