• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Windows 11 and COD

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
Windows 11 has not officially launched yet, the only copies of Windows 11 in the wild are leaked versions and the official announcement from Microsoft is not sure until 24th June at 11am.

Oops... That's my phone's spelling checker being a dick again.

That should read:

The official announcement from Microsoft is not due until...

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Heh..

Yea I like to get a jump on things.. :D Once it's official are you going to install?? I've only installed it on my work computer, but it seems pretty stable..

I'm just worried about incompatibility issues with games...

Oops... That's my phone's spelling checker being a dick again.

How could yer phone mistake 'due' for 'sure'???

Oh, it must be an iPhone.. :D heh

KeyboardDemon

I'm just worried about incompatibility issues with games...
Don't be worried, even before watching this video I wasn't expecting Windows 11 to be worse than Windows 10, but these tests confirm no changes to note on the hardware they tested, but note this is an early, leak of Windows 11, it's possible that there is a stack more work to be done on it.

My take on the Windows 11 OS is that we are starting to see new processors being developed, there are ARM based CPUs, CPUs with combinations of higher performance and light workload-oriented cores that allow for switching between power efficiency and performance workloads and then finally there will be some new hardware changes such as DDR 5 coming which might require a different approach to managing the hardware. Windows 11 might be how Microsoft deal with all of this. What is clear to me, is that there is more to this than what we can see on the surface.

Check out this video for some performance related info on Windows 10 and gaming.

How could yer phone mistake 'due' for 'sure'???

Oh, it must be an iPhone.. :D heh
The same way it can take a word like 'almost' and correct it to 'amongst'.

Not an iPhone, I use an Android phone and a swipe keyboard, just swipe through the letters that make up your word so you can type entire words with a single gesture, this mostly improves my speed, but with that speed I get more errors and usually post in between other tasks, so I miss picking up errors until after I have posted them.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Don't be worried, even before watching this video I wasn't expecting Windows 11 to be worse than Windows 10, but these tests confirm no changes to note on the hardware they tested, but note this is an early, leak of Windows 11, it's possible that there is a stack more work to be done on it.
To be fair, I agree with you. When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8, it was smooth except a few errors, and bit of issues here and there. The upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 was much smoother with only a few small errors, and minor issues. So, I don't have anything to be worried about. Most of the code underneath Windows 11 is "Windows 10X," so this is basically an updated version of Windows 10. Some are calling it "Windows 10.1," but there is new features, new locations, new menus, new options, new spots for old options, new icons, and more.

I noticed that the UI looks similar to Apple's iOS UI. A little bit, but the icons are centered. I think that the design was done to help "lazy" people be focused to one area for the Start menu.
My take on the Windows 11 OS is that we are starting to see new processors being developed, there are ARM based CPUs, CPUs with combinations of higher performance and light workload-oriented cores that allow for switching between power efficiency and performance workloads and then finally there will be some new hardware changes such as DDR 5 coming which might require a different approach to managing the hardware. Windows 11 might be how Microsoft deal with all of this. What is clear to me, is that there is more to this than what we can see on the surface.
Much like Apple's new philosophy of designing their chip(s) around the OS. The latest iOS laptops has the "M1" chip to be 100% compatible and taken advantage of. Kinda like a console philosophy.
Check out this video for some performance related info on Windows 10 and gaming.
I'll come back here if I have more thoughts.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
I plan on installing Win11 on my home/game machine this weekend..

Will advise how it goes as it pertains to COD...

To be fair, I agree with you. When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8, it was smooth except a few errors, and bit of issues here and there. The upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 was much smoother with only a few small errors, and minor issues. So, I don't have anything to be worried about. Most of the code underneath Windows 11 is "Windows 10X," so this is basically an updated version of Windows 10. Some are calling it "Windows 10.1," but there is new features, new locations, new menus, new options, new spots for old options, new icons, and more.

Microsoft has the "Every Other" curse...

Every other OS of theirs has been garbage..

Windows 3.11 was cutting edge and new..

Windows 95 was horrible...

Windows 98 was great...

Windows ME bit the big one..

Windows XP was the industry standard...

Windows Vista blew chunks...

Windows 7 was awesome...

Windows 8 was the bottom of the barrel...

Windows 10 was great...

Time will tell if Windows 11 breaks the curse...

It seems like the bad OS are all beta tests for the good ones.. :D

KeyboardDemon

To be fair, I agree with you. When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8, it was smooth except a few errors....
As I recall, Windows 8 was the first OS that allowed a direct upgrade from 8 to 8.1 and then to 10 without having to do a full fresh install. For most people the few errors were part of the transitional learning curve, but yeah, it wasn't 100% smooth sailing when I did the same thing, there was some turbulence.

I liked the changes that came with Windows 8, my brother on the other hand, hated it, what he hated most was having to press the power button to shut down his PC instead of using the Start menu to do it PC. I asked him to show me how he turns his PC on, he pressed the button at the top of his case, so I asked him why he didn't use the start menu and the penny dropped! lol

I noticed that the UI looks similar to Apple's iOS UI. A little bit, but the icons are centered. I think that the design was done to help "lazy" people be focused to one area for the Start menu.
Back in the day when Microsoft were a consulting company, they were working under NDA for 2 competing companies. Microsoft worked with IBM on MS-DOS and Apple on their new OS that would be driven by mouse and a GUI. It is funny how Microsoft get accused of copying designs and ideas that they developed, but in the book When Computing got Personal by Matt Nicholson you can find out what really happened at the time.

Much like Apple's new philosophy of designing their chip(s) around the OS. The latest iOS laptops has the "M1" chip to be 100% compatible and taken advantage of. Kinda like a console philosophy.
Yes, and I am expecting to see a wider range of more affordable Surface products that will use ARM and other non X86 based CPUs coming through soon after or even alongside the official launch of Windows 11, which will hopefully see an end to Windows 10S.

I don't trust leaked versions of unreleased operating systems, first you get no support and secondly you don't know if the people that are leaking it have left the installer intact or added any malware. I wouldn't want to risk losing data just to be the first to get it.

Windows 98 was great...

Windows 7 was awesome...

Windows 10 was great...

OMG. That list makes me feel old, I started using Windows at Windows 95, then moved to Windows 98SE, which is missing from your list! :p

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Yea, I was there for the first Windows.. :D

I went over to AMIGA for quite a while...

As a hobby, I ran a Computer BBS in Salem Oregon at the beginnings of the Internet Craze.. Ran C-NET off of an AMIGA 3000 running NetBSD... C-NET was kinda a poor man's AOL.. Was the first BBS in Salem to have internet.. I had a 14.4K Frame Relay Line from Portland.. Then I got deployed to Iraq with the 641st MI (Military Intelligence) Battalion and couldn't keep up with it..

Those were heady days.. :D

You can orient it to the Left if you want a more Windows 10 feel..

I can't seem to put my QUICK LAUNCH on the taskbar which is a major pain...

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private

There are some issues reported already, so just keep that in mind. For example, WinGet was recently released to collect information...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxr7m8wDeGA

Windows 98 was great...

Windows 7 was awesome...

Windows 10 was great...

I am also the early adopter of Windows, too. Windows 95 was... rough. My father got a bunch of programs... including a rough... version of Mortal Kombat. Almost arcade perfect, but rough. I thought it was not ready for market. You'd have to wait for minutes before it completely loads.

Windows 98 was a little better, but still not completely stable. I started using computers after we moved into new house, I was using 98, and moved into ME, which was STUPID. XP was better in terms of performance, but grew exploited as time went on. You could get hacked, catch viruses, and computers wiped (a.k.a blue screen of death). Vista? Garbage. It was exploited until Microsoft pulled the plug on it. It had so many exploits that you could chalk it up as "Microsoft's fault," not yours. So, your computer was hacked? It's not your fault. That's how... bad ...Vista was. That's how bad it was. Vista is the worst upgrade of all time. Overthrowing ME, or the second version of 98. Remember, there was no automatic upgrades or updates. You have to buy the upgrade or update. It was later they implemented live upgrades or updates. A little too late for that. To be FAIR... Internet wasn't widespread, yet.

Windows 7 was almost perfect. The upgrade was cleaner, stronger. However, there were small changes I didn't like, but it was good. Windows 8 was a radical change, Microsoft backpeddled and changed the the design to mimic the desktop design... not the fucking tablet dream design! I understand why they did it, but you're not realizing there are still computer users.

Windows 10 was the best upgrade I've seen since 98, despite issues.
As I recall, Windows 8 was the first OS that allowed a direct upgrade from 8 to 8.1 and then to 10 without having to do a full fresh install. For most people the few errors were part of the transitional learning curve, but yeah, it wasn't 100% smooth sailing when I did the same thing, there was some turbulence.
That's because Microsoft planned to have this "Live Service" business model (a.k.a SaaS). I think Microsoft is gearing for a total SaaS change. Because they want the Windows 11's store to function similarly to Xbox Live, to compete and overthrow Steam. That's what he meant by "economic prosperity for developers."

Xbox Live by name is gone, BTW, as I predicted. Its now "Xbox Network," so Windows Store? A name change is coming. The network is becoming an ecosystem. So all those programs (now known as apps) will be updated automatically, BUT... they want it so that YOU. The consumer, the customer... will pay for upgrades from this point on. Windows 11 is free, but everything on Windows 11 store will have prices, and some will be free. Think of it as a whale strategy.
I liked the changes that came with Windows 8, my brother on the other hand, hated it, what he hated most was having to press the power button to shut down his PC instead of using the Start menu to do it PC. I asked him to show me how he turns his PC on, he pressed the button at the top of his case, so I asked him why he didn't use the start menu and the penny dropped! lol
I used to use the start button as shutdown, Windows 8 changed that convention. Microsoft backpeddled because of people like your brother and I.
Back in the day when Microsoft were a consulting company, they were working under NDA for 2 competing companies. Microsoft worked with IBM on MS-DOS and Apple on their new OS that would be driven by mouse and a GUI. It is funny how Microsoft get accused of copying designs and ideas that they developed, but in the book When Computing got Personal by Matt Nicholson you can find out what really happened at the time.
I was a teenager who did not understand business or tech or whatever. I was living my life at the time. God. I love the 80's and 90's.

I was binge watching my favorite 80's/90's films, like TMNT films. My eyes bawled. I cried. That's how much I love those days. I miss those days, that being said... I understand a lot of things now. Like the 2020 chaos. It's similar to early 1990's, I understand why's of things from my childhood.

Now, Microsoft was a small startup when they did those NDA's. Microsoft ended up buying MS-DOS, slowly, steadily, but silently killing off MS-DOS.
Yes, and I am expecting to see a wider range of more affordable Surface products that will use ARM and other non X86 based CPUs coming through soon after or even alongside the official launch of Windows 11, which will hopefully see an end to Windows 10S.
I expect this philosophy to spread into [their future] tablets, and phones. ARM was designed for phones, tablets and similar devices in the first place, sooo... yeah.
I don't trust leaked versions of unreleased operating systems, first you get no support and secondly you don't know if the people that are leaking it have left the installer intact or added any malware. I wouldn't want to risk losing data just to be the first to get it.
That's why I never do it. Though, I would suggest getting it from the original source than these websites offering it. If you discover it or find them on Search Engines, it was targeted to reach you. That's SEO.
OMG. That list makes me feel old, I started using Windows at Windows 95, then moved to Windows 98SE, which is missing from your list! :p
Same here. Heh. :D

Last edited:

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Welp, I took the plunge.. Windows 11 on my gaming rig... Normally I would do a complete wipe and a virgin install.. This time I just did an upgrade.. No problems with the install came up...

Played a few rounds of Warzone.. Didn't notice any hiccups or anything..

By and large, it seems like a pretty seamless upgrade..

Played around with WinGet a little.. That little diddy looks awesome! :D

All in all, I am happy with it.. So far...

KeyboardDemon

Did you run any benchmarks before doing the upgrade?

I'm curious to see numbers from PCMark and 3DMark for before and after.

Keep us updated on how it all goes.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
No, I didn't.. :( I was just more concerned with seeing if it worked with COD...

I'll do some installs at work today and do some benchmarks under Win10 and then under Win11 and post them...

I also found a good forum here:

That has a lot of good Win 11 information...

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Another few matches and still no issues with Windows 11 and COD..

I did a benchmark on a random HP laptop.. The results were, if I am reading them right, surprising..

Apologies for the crappy picture.. Things were busy yesterday and I didn't have time to go more in depth..

WINDOWS 10
Windows10BM.jpg

WINDOWS 11
Windows11BM.jpg

"Now, I don't know what all that means... But it sounds pretty bad.."
-Tom Cruise, A FEW GOOD MEN

:D

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
OK Found a down side..

I have other screens open when I am playing.. Chrome, email, etc etc..

Sometimes when something "happens" on another screen, I'll remain in the game screen but my cursor will be active in the other screen.. So all of the sudden, I'll just STOP and it appears I am froze up.. Not a good thing in the middle of a firefight.. :D

I have to click Left Button to "activate" the current game screen...

Annoying...

KeyboardDemon

Another few matches and still no issues with Windows 11 and COD..

I did a benchmark on a random HP laptop.. The results were, if I am reading them right, surprising..

"Now, I don't know what all that means... But it sounds pretty bad.."
-Tom Cruise, A FEW GOOD MEN

:D
It's about a 4% drop in performance from 10 to 11,but 3% is usually considered within margin of error, so not really a big difference, though I was hoping to see 11 come out on top.

OK Found a down side..

I have other screens open when I am playing.. Chrome, email, etc etc..

Sometimes when something "happens" on another screen, I'll remain in the game screen but my cursor will be active in the other screen.. So all of the sudden, I'll just STOP and it appears I am froze up.. Not a good thing in the middle of a firefight.. :D

I have to click Left Button to "activate" the current game screen...

Annoying...
I can't remember if it was Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 that also had app focus issues at the start, I would expect that to be resolved when the full product launch goes live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements