• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
So there is no campaign mode? I'm feeling very bitter right now.
Well, yes, and no. The story from what the trailer is depicting in there... Is pointing to an aspect of the story, but rumor is the traditional Story Campaign has been scrapped. They [Activision] think it's a little "too out there." But I recall a tweet sharing admiration for MGSV. But I can't find that tweet anymore. I forgot who said it.

Toxic34

Recruit
Well, allow me to explain a bit. In the rumor phase, there was a report saying that there was a campaign conceived, involving people running simulations of the events in the three prior games, and using them to shape public perception of events, and then some kind of fight involving wanting to use the simulations to reveal a hidden truth, like for example, why the US government proved Reznov right in not destroying Nova 6 and instead planning to utilize it themselves. It sounded very much like something that fit right in with "forget what you know" and would've easily taken this experience to the next level. But for whatever reason, be it time constraints caused by the October release date, tech problems, narrative structure hiccups, or whatever, it didn't happen. But either way, without this campaign mode, the game, no matter what it does in the other modes, feels simply incomplete and trying to hard to compete with the Overwatch/PUBG/Fortnite crowd. Add to that the fact that the Zombies mode seems to be ever more ludicrous than ever, which certainly adds to the fun, but feels both like overreaching and ripping off all major games and cultural events that have occurred since BO3, like Assassin's Creed Origins, Rick and Morty, etc. This game, on some level, seems to be ashamed to be associated with COD, and is now trying to appropriate elements from virtually everything else, all in an attempt to pander to the haters, the critics, and to stick it to people complaining that the series isn't innovative enough.

COD seems to be suffering an identity crisis, and floundering in all directions, trying to take on a form that everyone likes and changing enough to ensure that profits soar and naysayers are left speechless, while effectively turning its back on a loyal and cultivated fanbase that was willing to stand by it and encouraging it to simply stick to its guns and loudly proclaim "this is me. If you don't like what I am, that's fine, but there are many others who do." Simply put, Activision and the developers got knocked too far off axis by the "screw the futuristic bullshit" whiners, and scrambled to effectively uproot a solid, well-established gameplan at a time when it couldn't afford to do so. Sledgehammer should've dug in their heels and followed through on the plans for AW2, and Treyarch should've either retired Black Ops and worked on a completely new arc for this year's outing, or committed to doing what it does best and given a solid campaign, rather than chase the latest trend. And Activision should've stressed the positives regarding the games' performance, rather than basically give red meat and effectively say "we failed, and we're gonna do differently" in an attempt to preempt everyone.

For the first time, COD, something I have long defended and worked to debunk all the myths, all the stereotypes and memes to those dumped on it regularly, seems to be working overtime to live up to the caricature, and sabotage itself and its credibility. BO4 is the first game I have ever entertained serious doubts about and am considering just not buying. I never thought this moment could ever come, especially with all the negative bullshit and pot stirring by both the far right and the far left concerning video games and its culture and how much hipster hate and Internet trolls have been working to gaslight us all and change the accepted wisdom about certain titles. For the first time, I am truly at a loss, and fearing that COD may very well be reduced to irrelevance and living up to the term "the Nickelback of video games."

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Well, allow me to explain a bit. In the rumor phase, there was a report saying that there was a campaign conceived, involving people running simulations of the events in the three prior games, and using them to shape public perception of events, and then some kind of fight involving wanting to use the simulations to reveal a hidden truth, like for example, why the US government proved Reznov right in not destroying Nova 6 and instead planning to utilize it themselves. It sounded very much like something that fit right in with "forget what you know" and would've easily taken this experience to the next level. But for whatever reason, be it time constraints caused by the October release date, tech problems, narrative structure hiccups, or whatever, it didn't happen. But either way, without this campaign mode, the game, no matter what it does in the other modes, feels simply incomplete and trying to hard to compete with the Overwatch/PUBG/Fortnite crowd.
I hear you. And that's not even that far fetched. Activision is making a big mistake by axing this story mode. Metal Gear touched a lot of this "out there" stuff, and people ate it up like no tomorrow. Fans love Metal Gear because of the over-the-top stuff, while trying maintaining the grounded realism. BO3 touched on a lot of this, by the way. I haven't finished the single player mode, but it's not because of the story, but the gameplay of Single Player. The next single player mode they make, they better be good. Treyarch is a good studio who knows what they're doing, but by axing single player...? They're basically cutting off the artery of the Black Ops heart.

Now, officially, the game's story is locked behind "learning how to use mechanics." Which is basically what BO3 basically did in some sections of the story. I say the same for Advanced Warfare, but what it sounds like is that the way they're doing it is kind of like the side missions where you had to learn how to use your weapons with other mechanics such as wall running or thrust jumps.
Add to that the fact that the Zombies mode seems to be ever more ludicrous than ever, which certainly adds to the fun, but feels both like overreaching and ripping off all major games and cultural events that have occurred since BO3, like Assassin's Creed Origins, Rick and Morty, etc. This game, on some level, seems to be ashamed to be associated with COD, and is now trying to appropriate elements from virtually everything else, all in an attempt to pander to the haters, the critics, and to stick it to people complaining that the series isn't innovative enough.
Fans love Zombies, and Treyarch has always been crazy with the zombies stuff they do. They went crazier with the BO3 zombies. They need to keep the zombies mode fresh, new, and innovative, and that's just what they did with the 3 new stories. I was actually waiting for a zombies mode similar to "IX," in fact. I wanted to see what Treyarch can do with a story that really touches on the whole Game of Thrones thing going on in there... Basically, this guy who's holding the wand, made a magic, that would turn humans into zombies, but with special powers from what we saw in that IX trailer. This can only tell me, that they're willing to go crazier than that. They can do basically anything now, that they've established that they want to go far with zombies. Really, really far. Right now, Black Ops 4 Zombies can be anything, including arena FPS-horror film in the same storyline. They can do just about anything now. Paid DLC arena for zombies. But the thing is this. DLC this time around will have to be really convincing. Instead of 3 maps, one operation... It's going to be expanded to 3 maps, one operation (blackout), 3 zombies stories, and WEAPONS. Yes, you heard me right. They've already established that they want to go further with the weapons and not tied down to real weapons.
COD seems to be suffering an identity crisis, and floundering in all directions, trying to take on a form that everyone likes and changing enough to ensure that profits soar and naysayers are left speechless, while effectively turning its back on a loyal and cultivated fanbase that was willing to stand by it and encouraging it to simply stick to its guns and loudly proclaim "this is me. If you don't like what I am, that's fine, but there are many others who do." Simply put, Activision and the developers got knocked too far off axis by the "screw the futuristic bullshit" whiners, and scrambled to effectively uproot a solid, well-established gameplan at a time when it couldn't afford to do so. Sledgehammer should've dug in their heels and followed through on the plans for AW2, and Treyarch should've either retired Black Ops and worked on a completely new arc for this year's outing, or committed to doing what it does best and given a solid campaign, rather than chase the latest trend. And Activision should've stressed the positives regarding the games' performance, rather than basically give red meat and effectively say "we failed, and we're gonna do differently" in an attempt to preempt everyone.
The problem with what you're saying is that THEY'VE ALREADY tried launching 3 different sub-series. Ghosts was supposed to be Infinity Ward's "refresh." Advanced Warfare was supposed to be fresh start for the Call of Duty franchise. Infinite Warfare was Infinity Ward's 2nd chance at a "refresh." Nothing worked. They tried realism with being set in a future setting (not Infinite Warfare level, but that post-apocalyptic future.) Yes, Call of Duty is facing an identity crisis, but this crisis isn't Activision's fault. Really. You need to understand, Activision sold more copies of World War and Modern War than the Future War stuff. They're not pandering to the the whiners. They're trying to sell to the loyal fanbase. You need to understand that Call of Duty is 250 Million units strong. That means more than 250 Million people know about Call of Duty.

They can't afford to "retire" the Black Ops franchise. If they did, and launched a new sub-series, this "pattern" will continue. Fans are pissed off at Activision. And it started with MW4's cancellation. Whoever's stupid idea was it to cancel Modern Warfare 4, should already have been fired, and bring back the person who wanted it to happen. Just fix the problem and be done with it. But someone is being stubborn.

That person needs to realise this is business. You don't be stubborn. You be fiexible. I completely understand why they're trying to get away from realistic stuff - because it costs too much R&D, consultation fees, and then the lawsuits from weapons, vehicle manufaturers. It's a cost decision, but at the same time, Activision is a multi-billion dollar corporation that can take it. MW4 could technically happen, but at the end of the day, they [Activision] just don't want to deal with lawsuits.
For the first time, COD, something I have long defended and worked to debunk all the myths, all the stereotypes and memes to those dumped on it regularly, seems to be working overtime to live up to the caricature, and sabotage itself and its credibility. BO4 is the first game I have ever entertained serious doubts about and am considering just not buying. I never thought this moment could ever come, especially with all the negative bullshit and pot stirring by both the far right and the far left concerning video games and its culture and how much hipster hate and Internet trolls have been working to gaslight us all and change the accepted wisdom about certain titles. For the first time, I am truly at a loss, and fearing that COD may very well be reduced to irrelevance and living up to the term "the Nickelback of video games."
Black Ops 4 will do just fine. It won't sell the same numbers the other 3 did, but it will be just fine.

Toxic34

Recruit
Well, personally, I tend to think that creatively speaking, MW3 was the place to end that arc. It was a very self-contained story that had a very definitive end with Makarov's death. If there was to be a 4, the only thing that could've been done was to either make it a prequel filling in the blanks regarding the Four Horsemen and Shepherd and their past histories, or to make a completely new setting and group of characters, as there was nothing more to be done with Price at this point. Sometimes what makes sense creatively is not what makes sense from a business standpoint, after all.

I don't doubt that BO4 will sell fine. What I am doubting is whether it will be meaningful or have the same kind of impact a COD title has had up to that point, and whether it will be fulfilling. On that point, I am not convinced at this moment. COD will always sell good numbers, but it could end up becoming the empty, hollow husk detractors have long been saying it is. And that worries me, because it is something I don't want to be true. I was confident for so long that Activision and the developers knew how to keep the ship on course and make subtle, but effective points that it was not going to sink. I'm not so sure about that anymore.

But it's not all bad news. Regardless of what decision I make regarding BO4, at least there will be plenty of titles to help fulfill my needs, like Battlefield V, Serious Sam 4 (which is finally close to release), Kingdom Hearts III (another long-awaited title), Halo 6 (which will most likely be shown at E3), Rage 2, Borderlands 3 (which will likely not be shown at E3 because of wanting to not step on Bethesda's toes), the fanmade Half-Life 2: Episode Three/Half-Life 3 title Project Borealis, and so on. And knowing that there will be 70 more episodes of Rick and Morty.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Well, personally, I tend to think that creatively speaking, MW3 was the place to end that arc. It was a very self-contained story that had a very definitive end with Makarov's death. If there was to be a 4, the only thing that could've been done was to either make it a prequel filling in the blanks regarding the Four Horsemen and Shepherd and their past histories, or to make a completely new setting and group of characters, as there was nothing more to be done with Price at this point. Sometimes what makes sense creatively is not what makes sense from a business standpoint, after all.
There was a tease trailer before they were able to talk about it. The MW4 logo appears, then cuts to Captain Price about to infiltrate a Mexican location. I wanted to see where this went. Until it disappeared. Advanced Warfare was the final name of the game. Oh my god. So much possibilities wasted. I wouldn't buy into a prequel game, I would buy a Captain Price campaign with a new team. You can even put "Ghost" back into the game, too. The thing is, Ghost is actually a codename, and not a person's name. We don't even know who Ghost really is. Colonel Shepherd killed Ghost, yes, but you can subsitute that character with a new character behind the mask. New setting and characters would do MW4 just fine.

Eh... Whatever, Activision...
I don't doubt that BO4 will sell fine. What I am doubting is whether it will be meaningful or have the same kind of impact a COD title has had up to that point, and whether it will be fulfilling. On that point, I am not convinced at this moment. COD will always sell good numbers, but it could end up becoming the empty, hollow husk detractors have long been saying it is. And that worries me, because it is something I don't want to be true. I was confident for so long that Activision and the developers knew how to keep the ship on course and make subtle, but effective points that it was not going to sink. I'm not so sure about that anymore.
I'm reading, and reading more information about the single player thing. They [Treyarch] never intended to include that traditional single player mode. *sigh* Okay. Nevermind. I give up on defending Treyarch. They have some good ideas, and they have bad ones. That was one of them. *slaps head and rubs head* Ugh. Treyarch. That is bad PR, if that was the intent. Treyarch is good at single payer stories. I feel like Treyarch is best at it. It sounds like they've given up on Single Player. However, the good news is BO4 is a service game. They want to support the game as for a long time. Kind of like what Fortnite is getting right now. If that's true, then I am already imagining the possibilities. Especially with BlackOut being featured with most Black Ops characters. Mason may even return. Tanks, man. TANKS. Please. TANKS!
But it's not all bad news. Regardless of what decision I make regarding BO4, at least there will be plenty of titles to help fulfill my needs, like Battlefield V, Serious Sam 4 (which is finally close to release), Kingdom Hearts III (another long-awaited title), Halo 6 (which will most likely be shown at E3), Rage 2, Borderlands 3 (which will likely not be shown at E3 because of wanting to not step on Bethesda's toes), the fanmade Half-Life 2: Episode Three/Half-Life 3 title Project Borealis, and so on. And knowing that there will be 70 more episodes of Rick and Morty.
I want Kingdom Hearts 3, I want Borderlands 3, but I'm not going to buy Xbox One X just for it. Just... No. I'll see about Battlefield V.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
I have a feeling it'll be a while yet before games become exclusive to Xbox One X, and Borderlands 3 can be easily played on standard and S units when it's released.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xbox-one-x-one-day-host-exclusive-games-microsoft-admits-3324055
No, I mean there's no point in buying either Xbox One S and/or Xbox One X over Borderlands 3. Much like there isn't a reason to buy PS4 and/or PS4 Pro today over Borderlands 3 or Call of Duty: Black Ops 4. I do it, because I know the console will have exclusive games. In PS4's case, I bought it for games like Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Diablo 3, even though I already know it's on other consoles - but I also bought it for MGSV, God of War, Horizon, the new Last of Us 2, mostly exclusives. Sony is good at it. Microsoft isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements