• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Revisiting An Old Friend... CPU vs GPU

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
OK , so I usually run TASK MANAGER on my secondary screen just to keep apprised of what's up..

I had my settings on what I THOUGHT was Low Quality/Hi Performance....

WarzoneGFX-LowQuality.jpg

.... but I think that was a few steps shy of HIGH PERFORMANCE...

Anyways, according to my TASK MANAGER my CPU was maxed out and my GPU was running less than 10%...

WarzoneGFX-CPUGPU.jpg

Can I tweak things so my GPU takes the load off the CPU???

Keep in mind, I have probably forgotten EVERYTHING ya'all told me from a few months back.. :D

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
What resolution are you playing at?

Increasing resolution from 1920*1080 to 2560*1440 will definitely give your GPU a bigger workout, at the cost of lower frames per second.

KeyboardDemon

The reason you're GPU usage is low is because you're not getting enough pre-rendered frames from your CPU.

We knew this would be the case when we went through the drama with your motherboard(s) a couple of months ago. Which is why you ended up with the best, cost effective solution to get you an acceptable frame rate until you had the budget for a massive upgrade.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
The reason you're GPU usage is low is because you're not getting enough pre-rendered frames from your CPU.

We knew this would be the case when we went through the drama with your motherboard(s) a couple of months ago. Which is why you ended up with the best, cost effective solution to get you an acceptable frame rate until you had the budget for a massive upgrade.

Ahh yes.. I do remember you telling me that... :D

In addition to paying off the RTX Video Card and getting a Starlink setup, I am hoping to sneak a CPU upgrade... :D

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
@KeyboardDemon or anyone??

I have never been a fan of over-clocking.. Always seemed to me to be a lot of work for very little gain..

But I am curious as to your thoughts??

Would over-clocking my CPU help until such time as I can upgrade my CPU???

KeyboardDemon

You might be able to squeeze an extra few FPS from your games but would definitely require a more robust cooking solution, as getting more performance from your CPU will generate more heat.

On an Intel platform you would need an unlocked CPU which is denoted by a K at the end of the model number and a motherboard chipset that supports overclocking. As I recall, you went for an F series CPU and mid level chipset, so it might not be possible to overclock with your hardware.

I don't do it as I don't have the patience to be dealing with troubleshooting and the constant monitoring required when you have an overclocked PC. Though I have dabbled in the past.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
You might be able to squeeze an extra few FPS from your games but would definitely require a more robust cooking solution, as getting more performance from your CPU will generate more heat.

On an Intel platform you would need an unlocked CPU which is denoted by a K at the end of the model number and a motherboard chipset that supports overclocking. As I recall, you went for an F series CPU and mid level chipset, so it might not be possible to overclock with your hardware.

I don't do it as I don't have the patience to be dealing with troubleshooting and the constant monitoring required when you have an overclocked PC. Though I have dabbled in the past.

Yea, that's my reasoning as well.. If it was a "fire and forget" solution, that might be nice.. But it's something that requires constant tweaking...

Just not for me, even if my hardware was compatible...

Thanx

Like CODForums!

Advertisements