• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

I want to be a better player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I'm hoping this is the right place to post this, as I have a problem.

At 49 years old, I have always been a Desktop pc gamer. Keyboard and mouse everytime for me please :) I have played everything and enjoyed my 3years playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault on Clan Planet and then the 1st ever Call of Duty.
Fast forward to 2016 and in March, I caved in to my 2 sons and bought myself an XBox One. They wanted me to play Black Ops 3 with them and because of the no cross platform issue, it was the only way to join in with them.

At 6ft 6, I have hands like shovels and the switch from keyboard and mouse to teeny, tiny controller, has been a major struggle for me. Even now, almost 9 months later, I suck bad haha.
I have Kontrol Freeks on my controller, which do help a little and grips. You only have to see my k/d to realise I'm a poor to just below average player and there's the problem.

My 2 sons, ages 26 and 17 both play and my eldest has started to play MW remastered (which is more my kind of gameplay style) and keeps telling me to play it. I've watched every YouTube video going on how to improve and simply can not, but I refuse to believe I can't get better at the game.

I have lucky games where I can get 20-30 kills, but on average, I hover around the 8-15 kills and like others, sometimes play with my eyes closed, only way to explain the 3 kills a game now and then :p and Scorestreaks!! forget them, I only just manage to get to care package, HCXD and UAV, I know, that's sad and bad.

I look at gaming with my sons, as a way to strengthen our father/son bond and hope when they become fathers, they remember these days and interact with their own children, the way I do.

Am I too old, (refuse to believe this)?
Why can't I seem to gain any kind of consistency?
adrenaline or panicking is also a cause for concern, because I hate to let down my team mates. Sensitivity is another issue. I seem to twitch a lot which makes aiming a nightmare and currently have sensitivity at 3, which does seem to help. My favourite weapon is the Dingo, but it seems that's a 'noobs gun' and altho I have slaved my way to levelling other weapons, currently working on the VMP, boy oh boy, you want a laugh? watch me trying to aim and shoot with that thing haha and resort to using a Blackcell to boost my score, by shooting down anything I can see in the sky.

I just want to be a better CoD player, so I feel more relaxed when playing besides my sons and not worrying about letting my team mates down, especially, when I see a 5-20-2 on the scoreboard at the end. <--- example...

Any advice is helpful and yeah, go back to pc is not an option, although I'd like to.
Stop playing is not an option, because as I said, gaming for me, is a way to keep in touch with my sons and bond with them.. I swear more than them playing haha

anyway, enough from me. Feel free to message, email or chat in game/party.

Oldman Renegade aka Mark (UK)

Thank you

MeTa Voodoo

Recruit
Since you have recently switched it will take a while. I was in the same situation as you, except I switched to play station instead of Xbox, but that Is not the point. Play around with your setting, your guns. Go into private matches and practice against bots, it really does help. Maybe you aren't used to the moving mechanics in newer games, so you might wanna go ahead and get yourself a copy of MWR. Bo3 now is very broken and wasn't a great game anyways. Find your play style whether it is running around or securing a building (camping)

Since you have recently switched it will take a while. I was in the same situation as you, except I switched to play station instead of Xbox, but that Is not the point. Play around with your setting, your guns. Go into private matches and practice against bots, it really does help. Maybe you aren't used to the moving mechanics in newer games, so you might wanna go ahead and get yourself a copy of MWR. Bo3 now is very broken and wasn't a great game anyways. Find your play style whether it is running around or securing a building (camping)
Thanks for your reply meta voodoo. I have MW remastered now for a few days and once I learn the maps, know I should do better there. If you mean BO3 is broken. In the way the supposed matchmaking works, I agree. Just been in a match where there were 4 very high levels (orange) and they just owned the map and everyone on it. It is this that knocks my confidence and it is this, that I want to aspire to. Being that good lol have a good day meta and again, thanks for your reply. P.s. Bots are fine and all that, but no matter their difficulty, there is no substitute like the real thing but agree it can help. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements