• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

My Pre-build thread

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
is that a ryzen water bottle i see. where you get that.
It is, I got it through work, same as my MSi Lucky Dragon, HyperX water bottles and some other bits and pieces that we might be able to talk about privately.

Right, case has been delayed further, it could be as late as 24th June and if I don't have it by then I can request a refund. Fingers crossed I'll get it sooner rather than later.

But since when does not having a case stop someone from building a PC. I've added more pictures to my album if you want to check them out.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

freakdaddy64

Recruit
very nice and is that a gpu cooler you have on graphics card and in pic of bios screen it shows your memory at 3200 did you set that because my ram is 3200 but in bios it shows 2133.

KeyboardDemon

very nice and is that a gpu cooler you have on graphics card and in pic of bios screen it shows your memory at 3200 did you set that because my ram is 3200 but in bios it shows 2133.
You will have to set that yourself, but it's not hard.

Startup your PC and press Del during POST to get to your BIOS screen.

Once you're in BIOS (simple view not advanced settings) you should see a button in the top left corner marked A-XMP, press that button. While you're in there you could also press the Game Boost button in the top left, this is what enables AMD's auto overclocking mode so that your CPU runs at higher frequencies when the software requires it. After that tap F10 (I think it was F10) on your keyboard to save your settings and exit BIOS which should restart your PC.

When the PC resets, press Del to get back into your BIOS so you can check the RAM speed setting then use the reset button on your case to boot into Windows.

So this is the final parts list, this is everything I ordered after having to change the motherboard and power supply at the last minute.

My Final AMD Ryzen 5 Build Parts List.jpg

Things got really wacky with my case, Amazon originally promised a delivery for 20th June, then updated to say 19th, then said it would be delayed until the 20th before changing this to say it will be between the 21st to the 24th due to delays.

Up until that final message I was happy to just hang on, but when I got that message to say 24th I looked at the Tracking updates, this is what I saw:

Amazon Tracking Updates.jpg
So not sure what is going on with Amazon, I was about to get on the chat and complain but then I saw my case was in transit, I might complain anyway and tell them it caused me a lot of stress to see if I get something back in the way of compensation. ;)

At least I know that the case is going to get here today, so that's good news.

Once I have it, I will tape a USB drive with a Windows 10 backup to the inside of my case, that way I will always have a recovery drive within easy reach should I ever need it.

very nice and is that a gpu cooler you have on graphics card
I didn't know what you were talking about at first, the cooler with the LED lights is the AMD Wraith Prism cooler for the CPU, I'll add some pictures of the GPU when I update my album next.

My case is finally here, but I have some things to do so can't work on it right away.

I have opened the box and had a sneak peek inside though, pictures have been added to the album.

KeyboardDemon

I have spent ages working on the cable management, it's still not quite as I want it but I had to start installing Windows 10 so thought I'd get back to it.

Even with all the panels off, it is just blissfully quiet.

New pictures have been uploaded [emoji16].

By best looking build yet.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
congrats it is awsome looks fantastic. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in bios turning on gome boost adds 600mhz to base and takes it to 4.2 and i can change ram to 3200 with out axmp, think ill leave it alone lol

KeyboardDemon

congrats it is awsome looks fantastic. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in bios turning on gome boost adds 600mhz to base and takes it to 4.2 and i can change ram to 3200 with out axmp, think ill leave it alone lol
Thanks, you helped a lot with many of the part selection decisions that I made, I've always been a specs maniac, without you helping me to see that I needed to match the specifications with intended use, if probably still be saving for a Ryzen 7 and RTX 2080 Super.

Use the A-XMP profile, it does a lot more than just set your DDR speed to 3200mhz, it also ensures you have the best timings to reduce memory latency during read and write cycles.

The game boost is good to try but the fan curves are quite aggressive and my fans get really loud when that happens, not as loud as my old PC though, which is most at idle.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
with evga they have a step up program so with my 2060 i can step up to a 2080 ti or whatever and just send in my card and pay differerence. with axmp i did not see memory change so i clicked the ram frequency and clicked on 3200 to change it,im fixin to restart now and see if it changed.

i guess im good bios has ram frequency drop down i i set on 3200 and it stayed so im staying with that and cpu at stock 3.6.

KeyboardDemon

with evga they have a step up program so with my 2060 i can step up to a 2080 ti or whatever and just send in my card and pay differerence. with axmp i did not see memory change so i clicked the ram frequency and clicked on 3200 to change it,im fixin to restart now and see if it changed.

Yes, when it comes to nVidia GPUs EVGA will always be my first choice, though as graphics cards cost quite a lot I have never been able to save enough to upgrade within the 3 months or have bought cards that had no upgrade path like the GTX 780 Ti.

i guess im good bios has ram frequency drop down i i set on 3200 and it stayed so im staying with that and cpu at stock 3.6.

Setting your memory is about more than just setting the speed, there are timings and other issues that you need to consider, this video explains how memory settings work and what XMP does that you might miss in manually setting your speeds:

As for using the Game Boost mode, it sets the fans too aggressively and gets too noisy, even in my new high airflow case, so I understand why you wouldn't want that.

KeyboardDemon

i was thinking that about the ram so i changed it back and enabled axmp. ill let it handle it
That's a good call.

On my last PC my son kept installing stuff on my PC and some of that introduced unwanted crap like Chromium, so this time I've set up an Admin account and a standard just account.

I'm planning to install all of essential Office and other apps that the family needs and then install games while they sleep.

A 2TB HDD is reasonably priced so I will order 1 and use that for a data and game drive, I might also add a second 240GB SSD and pair that with the HDD to use with the AMD StoreMi hard drive accelerator.

Lastly, I think I will add PSU extensions as the original cables don't look good and I also want to clean up the USB header cable at the bottom of my case, it's just distracting.

KeyboardDemon

i thought about the nvme but after watching this i dont see the difference being that great maybe for some things i guess.
You are absolutely right, there is very little difference in speed, but you're overlooking a couple of things:
  • The Vanity Factor - I don't want to see more cables than is absolutely necessary and I would happily give up 2 Sata ports just for that cleaner looking build
  • Price - The WD drive I got will outperform a similarly priced Sata SSD
  • Speed - this is not something that I would notice in bootup speeds, but that's just about the numbers on paper, it's a e-peen thing, so Vanity again ;) cos my numbers are bigger
SSD Drives (UK Prices as 22nd June 2020).jpgWD 1TB SN550 M.2 Drive (UK Prices as 22nd June 2020).jpg

In terms of bootup times, my PC takes longer to post than it does to start Windows, I haven't worked out how to put it in fast boot in the BIOS.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
my question is with the m2 sata since it is plugged directly into mobo and say you make a change like motherboard would you have to reinstall op system.

KeyboardDemon

my question is with the m2 sata since it is plugged directly into mobo and say you make a change like motherboard would you have to reinstall op system.
If I changed the motherboard, I would reinstall Windows regardless, unless it was a like for like change, in which case I would leave the same Windows installation.

I just tried CoD:MW with my new setup was at first impressed by how much more detailed the graphics were, everything looked so much better until the countdown timer hit zero, the second I started to move it was as if I was sliding down an infinite staircase as I played, I mean crazy amounts of stutter!

I think this 5700 XT will have to go back and I will swap it for a 2070 Super.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
do you know what the ping was and im assuming you connect to servers in london because the card should play the game like a champion i believe its compared to the rtx 2060 maybe. i tried aa radeon one time 25 years ago and had issues with the software since then its always been nvidia, my card is evga and im sold on it. go in their forums and read up.

this is my card i got from best buy

KeyboardDemon

All of my nVidia cards in the last 10 years have been EVGA, great build quality, excellent support and above average performance.

EVGA will always be on my shortlist, my main areas of interest will be picking low noise over outright performance, the spread between best and worst performing cards is a lot smaller these days.

But the loudest cards are crazy loud.

Also I don't want a massive card that ruins the look in my case, it needs to fit the build. I do have a card in mind, will start the RMA and hope that there is stock left at the end.

Ok. Amazon has accepted an RMA request and I have ordered an MSI GeForce RTX 2070 VENTUS at £409.98, which is £70 cheaper than the next cheapest model.

Luckily, I have the GTX980 that I can use in the meantime, so my son will have to wait a week, because my chose card is, not surprisingly, on backorder until the 28th.

do you know what the ping was
I know what you're saying, that ping might have been the reason for my graphics issue, to check that I ran a bot match in a private game where we all have identical ping rates as they are bots after all, but same thing, it is definitely a GPU issue and such a shame, I hoped that AMD had got passed this, but the thing today was a lot worse than it used to be back in the day when I had my HD 5970 and then upgraded to the HD 5990, which is a single card with 2 x HD5970 bolted on. Both cards produced stuttering, but not nearly as bad as this 1 does, in those cards you could see it if you recorded the video and watched closely, with this card it's all I can see. I'll capture some video of a private match later to show you.

Also, I just noticed that the £409.98 2070 was the standard card, not the Super, I cancelled that and ordered an MSi RTX 2070 Super, as it is about £40 cheaper than the cheapest EVGA and I am already more than £100 over my budget! Mrs Demon will be mad when she finds out.

freakdaddy64

Recruit
sounds good i think you will be very pleased with that card. my cz server aint doing nothing so im switchin it to a counter strike global offensive server.

KeyboardDemon

This is a video of my PC running with the Radeon RX 5700 XT in Private Match of Free for all against 11 bots, YouTube seems to smooth over some of the issues I was seeing, or maybe I noticed it more in-game than on the recorded version, anyway, take a look, see what you think:

freakdaddy64

Recruit
looks like its doing pretty damn good,how you getting fps in the 240,s wow i was hoping for that but my best is 215 but ill take it

KeyboardDemon

Can't you see it stuttering, when I scan left to right or right to left it looks like it skips frames or sometimes frames just stick, after that 10-minute round I was starting to feel travel sick.

You can see about 2:50 in, as the round starts and you get the camera shot that shows the play area, it stutters there too, it's not smooth like maybe the cameraman bumped into some things during the shot.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements