• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

FPS bug - drops from 100+ to 10

thyes

Recruit
Hi everyone.

So like the title says, I'm experiencing some wierd FPS drops. It happens totally randomly. I usually play gunfight, but have gotten it in normal games aswell.
I recently purchased a new GPU, an RTX 2070 Super, and a new screen (165Hz). My other hardware should be more than capable, 16GB ram, 1TB storage space, AMD Ryzen 5 3600.
I didn't have this issue before, so I'm suspecting a recent patch may be the cause?

I run the game at highest settings without problems, but optimized MW in Geforce Experience to try and tackle the problem, but it still occurs at random.
I can drop from 100+ to around 10 fps, which pretty much breaks the game during a gunfight match. MW is the only game I have this problem with.

Would be very happy if someone had a fix for this annoyance!

Cheers

Hi everyone.

So like the title says, I'm experiencing some wierd FPS drops. It happens totally randomly. I usually play gunfight, but have gotten it in normal games aswell.
I recently purchased a new GPU, an RTX 2070 Super, and a new screen (165Hz). My other hardware should be more than capable, 16GB ram, 1TB storage space, AMD Ryzen 5 3600.
I didn't have this issue before, so I'm suspecting a recent patch may be the cause?

I run the game at highest settings without problems, but optimized MW in Geforce Experience to try and tackle the problem, but it still occurs at random.
I can drop from 100+ to around 10 fps, which pretty much breaks the game during a gunfight match. MW is the only game I have this problem with.

Would be very happy if someone had a fix for this annoyance!

Cheers
I would try and reinstall the Graphics driver, delete the old one under Custom. don't do express. see if that works. Or try to go in options and reinstall the shaders.

thyes

Recruit
Sorry, late reply here. Anyways I just deleted the old nvidia drivers, and not just the graphics drivers, every other driver - Geforce Experience aswell. It didnt help.

The wierd thing is that usually the game runs so smooth, like over 100 FPS. And then suddenly, and completely randomly, it can drop to as low as 10.

I didnt have this issue with my old GPU, so I thought maybe there was something wrong with my card. But everything works like a charm in both Death Stranding and Hell Let Loose. This issue is exclusive to MW.

I'll try reinstalling the shaders now like you said, hope that does the trick. If not I have no clue what could be causing this. I read somewhere that RAM could cause FPS drops, but when the other games I play works fine, then that sounds wierd, right?

I have the following memory chips in my PC:

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16GB
2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL16, XMP 2.0

Sorry, forgot to mention that I did a custom clean install of the Nvidia drivers.

Reinstalling shaders didn't work either.

well at this point, I would reset the whole PC restore it like new. get every thing back to updated drivers etc, see if that works, if not, then I would bet its your Video card.

thyes

Recruit
Right, I see. Well thanks for the reply.
I'd hate to format the whole system, but maybe that's the only way..

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
You said:

well at this point, I would reset the whole PC restore it like new. get every thing back to updated drivers etc, see if that works, if not, then I would bet its your Video card.

As this issue only occurs in CoD that suggests to me that you wouldn't need to reinstall/refresh or return Windows to factory settings as if it was a Windows problem then it would present in other games/applications, so that makes no sense to me.

There is a feature that CoD has been using since Infinite Warfare called 'Game Health Icons' that appear on the left-hand side of your screen while you're playing, they come up in yellow for a mild issue and red for a more severe issue. Check out this video and look out for these icons while you're playing, they might indicate that you're experiencing High Latency, high levels of latency variation, bad ping, or bad packet loss,

I went through a phase where this was happening a lot on my connection and I still haven't managed to fix it completely but I have managed to rectify it as best as I can, my main problem is the service we get to our household doesn't offer us the level of bandwidth we need for the number of devices that we need access to the internet with.

The next issue you might be experiencing is poor connection due to heavy traffic on the server, this is outside of your control, but there are plenty of videos on YouTube that discuss or at least cuss this issue.

First check out this information about CoD's Game Health Icons here:

Then record a video of you playing so that you can watch the video and see what else is happening on the screen when it occurs as it's easy to miss in the heat of battle.

I swapped out a GPU thinking it was faulty because of network issues and ended up paying more for an RTX 2070 Super, when all I needed to was fix my internet connection. (I don't regret shelling out for the RTX card, but would have preferred to still have that money for something else and the Radeon 5700 XT card in my PC instead, but it's too late to fix now!

Are you sure you're not running into lagswitchers? (There have been loads of them lately especially in the higher skill servers)

When the fps drops happen what does your latency look like? (I assume you dont get the same drops in singleplayer?)

thyes

Recruit
Wow, overwhelmed by all the replies here, thanks guys!

@DizzyDemon : Thanks, I will try this tomorrow and see what results I get. What kind of software do you recommend for recording? Also, won't recording in itself cause FPS to drop while recording?
The only reason I was leaning towards a broken GPU is that I didn't have these issues with my old GTX 1060. But at the same time, MW is the only game affected, so it sounds wierd yes.

I asked a friend of mine who's more competent computer-wise than myself, and he said my card was probably fine, and that he suspected the game to be poorly optimized. I didn't have raytracing on my old card, maybe there could be an issue in that department of MW?

@Huntnwabits : Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

@bizzyVaping : Since I was today-years-old when I first heard of lagswitchers, no I'm not sure that I'm not running into them, hehe. Tbh I haven't checked the latency when it drops, I'm usually in the middle of a gunfight game and often head to head with an enemy. But I'll play some normal games and be sure to check the ping. Thanks!

KeyboardDemon

I asked a friend of mine who's more competent computer-wise than myself, and he said my card was probably fine, and that he suspected the game to be poorly optimized. I didn't have raytracing on my old card, maybe there could be an issue in that department of MW?

I agree with your friend, why? Because it only happens in 1 title, run some benchmarks like Unigine Heaven, 3dMark (I'm not sure you can get a free version of this still) and any game with a built-in benchmark tool in your collection then compare the results to similar systems online.

Tbh I haven't checked the latency when it drops, I'm usually in the middle of a gunfight game and often head to head with an enemy. But I'll play some normal games and be sure to check the ping. Thanks!

This is the reason I suggested recording your gameplay, I did say yourself which doesn't sound right, ooops sorry!! :eek: GeForce Experience is really good for this as it is really easy,just make sure you have your overlay on and press Alt-F9 while you are playing to get it started on recording and again to stop.

Lastly, a new driver for nVidia cards went live on 17th August, the version number is 452.06, make sure you have this driver installed.

Wow, overwhelmed by all the replies here, thanks guys!

@DizzyDemon : Thanks, I will try this tomorrow and see what results I get. What kind of software do you recommend for recording? Also, won't recording in itself cause FPS to drop while recording?
The only reason I was leaning towards a broken GPU is that I didn't have these issues with my old GTX 1060. But at the same time, MW is the only game affected, so it sounds wierd yes.

@Huntnwabits : Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

@bizzyVaping : Since I was today-years-old when I first heard of lagswitchers, no I'm not sure that I'm not running into them, hehe. Tbh I haven't checked the latency when it drops, I'm usually in the middle of a gunfight game and often head to head with an enemy. But I'll play some normal games and be sure to check the ping. Thanks!
Considering that you say you only get problems in MW and your generel description im allmost certain that it isn't your card.

I run my Rtx on and full graphics high as they can go even with Nvidia using Quality. I run smooth as silk at 100 fps I don't think its Rtx.

thyes

Recruit
I've recorded quite a few matches now, and I "finally" managed to get the issue captured.

Desktop Screenshot 2020.08.24 - 20.35.43.67.jpg

It was only when I took a screenshot of the video that I saw the 'game health icons' on the left hand side, circled in yellow. They were only there for like a second or so, really hard to spot them even when watching the video. As far as my research suggests, they indicate packet loss. Which is kinda wierd, because I enabled several of the included widgets in MW (at the top of the screen), and as you can see they claim I have a packet loss of 0%.

When I play I usually have a latency between 60-70ms, and in this instance it's 137ms. Another thing that caught my eye is the GPU time, which is usually around 8 or 9 ms, and here it's all the way up at 34ms. I have no idea if that's dangerously high?

As far as this screenshot goes, what are you guys leaning towards? Network issues? GPU issues? RAM?

Yes that is normal going on that the moment. it was worse last season.

I've recorded quite a few matches now, and I "finally" managed to get the issue captured.

View attachment 1204

It was only when I took a screenshot of the video that I saw the 'game health icons' on the left hand side, circled in yellow. They were only there for like a second or so, really hard to spot them even when watching the video. As far as my research suggests, they indicate packet loss. Which is kinda wierd, because I enabled several of the included widgets in MW (at the top of the screen), and as you can see they claim I have a packet loss of 0%.

When I play I usually have a latency between 60-70ms, and in this instance it's 137ms. Another thing that caught my eye is the GPU time, which is usually around 8 or 9 ms, and here it's all the way up at 34ms. I have no idea if that's dangerously high?

As far as this screenshot goes, what are you guys leaning towards? Network issues? GPU issues? RAM?
your latency isn't that great. Maybe why it popped up. You running in your region on servers? But as i said in my the last post. That is common at the moment to be popping up. I dont think its anything on your end tbh. you could always try and go to c Promt command type in ping www.google.com -t (Hit enter) watch your latency/ping from there see if it jumps erratic or not, if so its your internet.

KeyboardDemon

I am sure that it is a widely reported issue, but if everyone assumed that then nobody would report it, right?

Can any and all players that are having issues please report it using the support links here.

Thanks.

thyes

Recruit
So the GPU time isnt something I should dwell over?

I have no idea where the servers I play on are located, but 60-70 ms is normal for me, I live in the northern parts of Norway. I ran a speedtest earlier tonight and got 8ms, probably more local servers.

KeyboardDemon

I think you would be connecting to the Europe servers from Norway, I think this is an up to date list of server locations:

• Australia. Melbourne/Adelaide
  • Japan. Tokyo
  • Europe. Central
  • UK. London
  • Ireland. Dublin
  • USA West. Nth California
  • USA Central. Ohio

I'm not sure if Europe Centra or UK, London is best for you, but having just looked that up, I think I might be connecting to the wrong server myself, which could explain a lot of the issues I've been having.

KeyboardDemon

I just checked and I can't pick London servers, I can only pick Americas, Europe or Asia and then it looks like the game will select the best server for the next available match.
Desktop Screenshot 2020.08.24 - 23.25.51.88.png

thyes

Recruit
It's not just MW, almost every game I play has like 60ms. I don't think I've ever had below 50, so I guess it's simply the geographical distance between me and game servers.

I would think I'm fixed up against a server somewhere in central/northern parts of Europe, I'll check later what the default server is.

About the packet loss thing, there's nothing I can do on my part to fix it? I see several others complain about laggy servers at times.

Like CODForums!

Advertisements