• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

MSI AfterBurner Data

KeyboardDemon

PC Gamer: Nearly Dangerous
Right, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you on this. I've just been playing catchup and wow... so much progress has been made, I think we are getting close to working out what the issue is, so now all we need is a strategy to tame this beast!
If I am reading this right, my GPU usage is only 36%!! WTH!???
Now that's a great observation and I think it might be at the heart of your issue.

Temperatures at 111f/43.9c are well under control as they would be expected to be when the GPU is only at 36% to 69% usage.

What is your CPU showing for usage?

If you have a second monitor then it would be handy to have resource monitor running on that monitor, if not, we can still get an idea of how much usage your CPU is getting.

• For 2 monitors, click start then type resource monitor into the search bar and launch the resource monitor app and slide it over to the second monitor.
  • For 1 monitor start CoD MW, alt tab into desktop and start resource monitor.
  • Click the CPU tab, then open the window to full screen.
  • Looking at the top right of the window, change views until you can see all cores being graphed on the right of the screen. Your i5 9400F should have 6 cores/6 threads so you might see them all with the large setting. You should be seeing total CPU usage at the top, Service CPU usage (for background tasks I think), the CPU 0 thru to CPU 5 to represent all 6 core/6 threads.
  • On the main window in the header you will see an expandable tab for processes where you will see a box for CPU usage and then maximum frequency, make a note of the maximum frequency.
  • Now go back to the game screen or alt tab back to the game and play a bot match, make it around 4 to 5 minutes to get some heat in your system and monitor temps with afterburner while you play.
  • At the end of the match go back to resource monitor and look at what percentage of max frequency you reached and then look at which cores were being pushed,

Now when I play on my R5 3600 with 6 cores/12 threads, I see all 6 cores hitting close to 100% usage and 3 of the remaining 6 threads also getting close to 100% while the remaining 3 cores are around 50% and my maximum frequency is 113% which indicates that my CPU is boosting higher than the rate max boost speed.

What I am starting to think is that you are being power limited, hopefully, this is Windows being Windows and you should be able to change your power profile to stop Windows from limiting power consumption, check out this guide on how to do it.

The checks on your CPU should help highlight that as an issue if you are being power limited, if that is the case, there is a way to get your PC to move into a high-performance power profile when you launch games and back down to a balanced profile when you're not playing that game any longer. Keep an eye on temperatures when you do this, more power will mean higher temps.

The let me know how that all works out for you.

KeyboardDemon

Another question..

View attachment 1896

How can I get rid of the BUF listing and how do I move the Afterburner Overlay to the other corner??
You can adjust screen position in Riva Tuner Statistic Server, with Afterburner running on your PC, RTSS should also be running in your system tray, click on the up arrow near your system time and look for the little blue screen with red numbers icon to open it.

I am not sure what BUF is, it might be that you have set something, or it could be a warning about an issue that Afterburner has detected.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Right, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you on this. I've just been playing catchup and wow... so much progress has been made, I think we are getting close to working out what the issue is, so now all we need is a strategy to tame this beast!

Oh, tosh... Your help is soo much appreciated.. You have a life outside of CoD.. I understand that.. :D
The let me know how that all works out for you.

Probably won't be til tomorrow morning before I can jump into that.. Wife will be at work-related dinner tonight, so I can probably prep the hardware, adding a 2nd monitor et al..

I am not sure what BUF is, it might be that you have set something, or it could be a warning about an issue that Afterburner has detected.

It's got a little square next to it that rotates.. I'll try to get a short video of it tonight to show... From the action of that little rotating square (kinda like the dots that rotate during a WINDOWS install) and the word BUF, it makes me think it's some sort of Buffering thingy...

As always, thanx so much for the assistance...

KeyboardDemon

Oh, tosh... Your help is soo much appreciated.. You have a life outside of CoD.. I understand that.. :D
Thanks buddy.
Probably won't be til tomorrow morning before I can jump into that.. Wife will be at work-related dinner tonight, so I can probably prep the hardware, adding a 2nd monitor et al..
2nd monitor is not essential, but can be helpful as you can glance at CPU usage on second screen during gameplay.
It's got a little square next to it that rotates.. I'll try to get a short video of it tonight to show... From the action of that little rotating square (kinda like the dots that rotate during a WINDOWS install) and the word BUF, it makes me think it's some sort of Buffering thingy...
Ok, let's go with buffering, what could be buffering in a bot match?

Check in your BIOS to ensure you have XMP profiles enabled so that RAM runs at the correct rated speed, the default speed for RAM is either 2133mhz or 2666mhz, if you have faster RAM running at the max RAM speed might help get more frames from your system.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
Ok, let's go with buffering, what could be buffering in a bot match?

"I know, right!??"
-Felix, WRECK IT RALPH

I think I might try just dropping specs one by one and see which one finally makes that BUF thingy go away...

Check in your BIOS to ensure you have XMP profiles enabled so that RAM runs at the correct rated speed, the default speed for RAM is either 2133mhz or 2666mhz, if you have faster RAM running at the max RAM speed might help get more frames from your system.

Will do....

KeyboardDemon

Even at "idle" (installing game, posting to CoD Forums, etc etc) I hit 114% Maximum Frequency...
That's nothing to worry about, your CPU looks like it is not being restricted and can boost well. That suggests you have enough power and cooling on your 9400F to allow the processor to cope with the required performance. So maybe the GPU is not getting enough power.

AntiCheatAgent94

The Equalizer
That's nothing to worry about, your CPU looks like it is not being restricted and can boost well. That suggests you have enough power and cooling on your 9400F to allow the processor to cope with the required performance. So maybe the GPU is not getting enough power.

I have a 1000w PSU on the system... But I am forced to use the 8-pn Power Connectors from the same "rail"... I think I have an adapter that I can use to utilize different "rails" if ya think that might be an issue..

Like CODForums!

Advertisements