• Greetings, Devil Dog! Welcome to the Call of Duty Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

My Video Game tastes

Toxic34

Recruit
My tastes in video games has grown with me. I grew up with the Nintendo 64, enjoying Super Mario 64 and the like. When I got a PlayStation 2, I evolved to racing games and role-playing games, especially the SpongeBob/Nicktoons series, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. When I got an Xbox 360, and later and Xbox One, I became entranced by FPS games, and I have Call of Duty to thank for turning me on to this incredible new world. Recently, I also learned to appreciate the challenge of the Assassin's Creed series.

Basically, I appreciate so many different tastes, genres and generations of consoles and PC, especially thanks to Steam and GOG.

FPS has become my favorite genre, but I play all kinds of titles. I have every single main CoD title from Classic to Black Ops III, and am of course looking forward to Infinite Warfare. I have the Battlefield games from 2: Modern Combat on. Medal of Honor is also quite fun, especially the last 3 games Frontlines and Homefront were incredible near-masterpieces. But I also am well-versed in old-school '90s shooters, playing the entire Doom and Quake series, Wolfenstein 3D and all games that came afterwards, the entire Build engine collection (Duke Nukem 3D (I actually like Forever, though it's quite inferior to the first one), Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage), the Serious Sam games, GoldenEye 007 (original and remake), Perfect Dark and Postal 2. I also enjoy a lot of the more complex and artistic titles, such as Halo, the Borderlands games, the Deus Ex series, the Far Cry series, the BioShock games, Prey and so on. I also found enjoyment in several titles from the Alien series, especially Isolation. Colonial Marines is awful, of course, but I still play it, just for the trainwreck effect.

Last edited:

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
My tastes in video games has grown with me. I grew up with the Nintendo 64, enjoying Super Mario 64 and the like. When I got a PlayStation 2, I evolved to racing games and role-playing games, especially the SpongeBob/Nicktoons series, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. When I got an Xbox 360, and later and Xbox One, I became entranced by FPS games, and I have Call of Duty to thank for turning me on to this incredible new world. Recently, I also learned to appreciate the challenge of the Assassin's Creed series.
I've been gaming since the 1980's 8 Bit days. I've played all kinds of games. Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Super Mario, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Killer Instinct. All the biggest games, you name 'em. If I missed a big game, it's because it wasn't my time to experience it, low on money, or didn't pique my interest.

I played Nintendo 64 the day it was available at Toys R' Us, I rented the console itself when it launched, then I bought it that very same Christmas. Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and Killer Instinct Gold were my first games. :) I thank god for Zelda 64 (Ocarina of Time), Turok, Doom 64, and all these blockbuster titles. It was the last Nintendo console that I went "all in" with. GameCube was a huge disappointment that I only got a few games, and stopped buying games for it altogether. I transferred into PS2 fully. I had a PS2 about a few weeks after it came out - it was hard to find. I was the last person to get it at Toys R' Us. My boss was like "Oh shit." Little did she know I was the last asshole with the new PS2. :)

I loooooooveeeeeeeeed PS2. LOVED. Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, and many action games. It was a gold mine of games. Lots of RPG's. Lots of action games, lots of exploration games, lots of just about everything. People called Kingdom Hearts "gay," but it was a gem that just about everyone missed. Take Final Fantasy, and put it into a Disney "world" (no pun intended at the theme parks, there were actually worlds in Kingdom Hearts.)

Especially when Kingdom Hearts 2 came out. That was the pinnacle of the series. Give me Kingdom Hearts 3 already, damnit.

I stayed on the PlayStation bandwagon because it's such a great brand that brought us the best games in the world. I will forever hold the PSX/PS2 days as my favorite gaming experiences. The first day you got Xenogears, the day you beat Sephiroth, the day that you played DMC3 feeling like a badass because you pulled off combos and tricks all at once. Just awesome.

I almost got Xbox 360, but it just didn't have something I wanted. If Microsoft had a game library like PS2 did, there would be no question in my mind I'd buy it. But it didn't. There was no killer app like PS2 did. I bought PS3 because of mother fucking... Metal. Gear. I'd drop $600 on a system that gave me Metal Gear Solid 4. I did. I got my $100 back because Sony dropped the price shortly after buying it.

I played Call of Duty 2 at E3 2005, and Call of Duty 3 at E3 2006, never interested me until... Call of Duty 4. It was my brother and my brother's friend who convinced me. I went out, and bought it the next day. That was the first real multiplayer game that I've ever played. I played Unreal Tournament [3] online, but lost interest, quickly. COD4 though? All nighters. Mornings! The next freakin' day. Fuck! That was a good time!

Toxic34

Recruit
What exactly do you like in FPS games other than Call of Duty and Battlefield? Do you have specific preferences, or do you just enjoy hat a title has to offer?

I've never fully understood the snobbery that fans who only religiously play '90s FPS titles show to the later titles. Even looking down at them just for simple things like aiming down the sight, even though that is more realistic than going through the entire game firing from the hip, or seeking cover or being restricted to 2 weapons. Health packs aren't anymore realistic than regenerating health, by the way.

If these people had their way, Call of Duty wouldn't be itself anymore, have no identity at all. Simply put, CoD can't be like Doom, and vice versa.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
What exactly do you like in FPS games other than Call of Duty and Battlefield? Do you have specific preferences, or do you just enjoy hat a title has to offer?
No real preference. I listed many FPS games in this thread alone. Turok was an atmospheric Dinosaur shooter that had a vast world, with a deep lore. You go from battling humans, to battling monsters, to battling dinosaurs, and other creatures. In Doom, you went to hell, and came back from it. You battled just about everything, humans, demons, helldemons, cyberdome, just about anything demonic. And they were a bitch to fight. In Doom 64, you were on Mars for the majority of the game, and you go to many different, and might I add, creepy atmospheres. That "holy shit, I gotta get out of here" vibe. In the reboot this was intensified, because now the bosses throw projectiles directly at you with better enemy A.I.

Goldeneye 007 popularized "realistic" shooters due the quality of the game. At this point, the Medal of Honor series was just getting popular. I was introduced to Medal of Honor: Frontlines when PS2 was on fire. I loved Frontlines so much I rented and bought 2 different copies. The original and the Greatest Hits. The quality was just immaculate in there. Whoever developed Frontlines should have been making a killing, and not required staying on the EA corporate ownership. I was not a fan of the whole WW2 theme, but Frontlines had some of the best controls that I've ever used on any console. That was until Call of Duty 4. I bought COD4 without even realizing Aim-Down Sights! Imagine that! lol. I always hip-fired until half-way through COD4.
I've never fully understood the snobbery that fans who only religiously play '90s FPS titles show to the later titles. Even looking down at them just for simple things like aiming down the sight, even though that is more realistic than going through the entire game firing from the hip, or seeking cover or being restricted to 2 weapons. Health packs aren't anymore realistic than regenerating health, by the way.

If these people had their way, Call of Duty wouldn't be itself anymore, have no identity at all. Simply put, CoD can't be like Doom, and vice versa.
This doesn't matter anymore. The Doom reboot showed the world that NOT every single game has to be "Call of Duty" to succeed. I was at work the other week, a new employee came in, and said "the latest bunch of FPS titles are all good." That's GOOD for the industry. That tells me that people are open to the idea of Doom making a return to gaming, or Quake making a return to gaming. Wait, did I just say Quake? Yep.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-6fQyNkZo

Toxic34

Recruit
Here's a little glimpse into my process of playing games, specifically what I like to look for in the visuals.

-Spinning fan blades and shadows of them on the floors or walls
-Lit flares and the colored smoke rising
-Bullet and shell casings visible on the floor
-Payphones
-Street signage
-No smoking signs
-Bathroom signage, especially the triangular men's room sign with the spread legs figure
-Glowing traffic signs

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Here's a little glimpse into my process of playing games, specifically what I like to look for in the visuals.

-Spinning fan blades and shadows of them on the floors or walls
-Lit flares and the colored smoke rising
-Bullet and shell casings visible on the floor
-Payphones
-Street signage
-No smoking signs
-Bathroom signage, especially the triangular men's room sign with the spread legs figure
-Glowing traffic signs
That sounds like Duke Nukem 3D, or the legendary Duke Nukem Forever. But in my opinion a good FPS title is all I want. Borderlands for example can be seen as a cell-shaded shooter, but it's actually a comic book come to life kind of game. I love the series, even with the lootboxes.

Lootboxes are controversial now, but Borderlands didn't actually use it as a way to monetize the game. *rolleyes*

Toxic34

Recruit
Well, a lot of those are featured, yes, but I look for them in any game that I play. I actually have moments to stop and see if I leave behind bullet and shell casings on the ground temporarily, to stare at flares giving off smoke, at payphones, and the like. I don't know why I'm drawn to them, I just am.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Private
Well, a lot of those are featured, yes, but I look for them in any game that I play. I actually have moments to stop and see if I leave behind bullet and shell casings on the ground temporarily, to stare at flares giving off smoke, at payphones, and the like. I don't know why I'm drawn to them, I just am.
Hahahaha... The attention to detail. :)

Toxic34

Recruit
I believe that would be the case. It's part of what hooked me onto Life Is Strange when my brother got it, because of the effort to make it much like our world. I also sometimes fantasize about shooting video of my neighborhood or places I go on vacation to, and having that video rendered with different video game engines, from the archaic to the modern, to see how it would look.

I also like to look for lightning flashes in the sky and construction lighting equipment.

Oh, and lastly, I look for turret sequences and palm trees swaying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Like CODForums!

Advertisements